Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Kaprun Cross Country Ski Lessons

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
Hi all,

Hope someone can help.

My other half is looking to try cross country skiing and would like some group lessons

We are in Kaprun mid January and are struggling to find any group lessons - only 1 to 1 tuition.

Does anyone on here have any idea if this is too early in season? or is this the usual for CC?

Thanks for any advice
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
You have probably seen these already but I'll put them up just in case you haven't.

http://www.alpin-skischule.at/cross-country-ski-school-kaprun

http://www.skischulekaprun.at/outdoor-center-skischule-kaprun/langlaufschule-skiverleih-kaprun-salzburg

I suspect nearby Zell am Zee is better setup for cross country skiing and would be better providing there is enough snow at valley level.

In this german link they say Kaprun has a 3km loop @ 2900m whereas Zell am See has a 25km loop at village/valley level.
http://www.latini.at/de-langlaufen-zell-am-see.htm
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Kaprun village is the valley and the piste map does show Loipen (cross country tracks) at the end of the village without showing exactly where or how much. Try the links DB suggests. It may just be that there is no great demand for group lessons then.
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
shitolai,

Yes a good tip from espri - there are also cross country loops in Kaprun village

latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
I wouldn't recommend the track on the Kitzsteinhorn glacier for a beginner. It is just a serpentine loop set up for cross country race training. Down in the valley with trees and sun is where you want to be Very Happy The red tracks on the map above.
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
shitolai, normally January is just fine, but at the moment, there's very very little snow in valley, and there's nothing really good in forecasts for next few days. I was just driving through Zell am See on Friday when going from Saalbach to Lienz for WC races, and I doubt there's any xc tracks around there, as everything is green and snow line is much higher up the hill. Otherwise xc tracks around Austrian villages are pretty good. Not perfect, not widest, but still more then good enough... of course if there's snow Smile
As far as lessons go, I don't have any suggestions about this.
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
thank you all.

another question if you dont mind. do you need a full lift pass for CC?

thanks again
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Quote:

do you need a full lift pass for CC?

can't say for sure, but very unlikely. In Les Saisies you need a pass for the main Nordic area but it's far cheaper than a downhill pass, and anyone with a downhill pass can access the area. But LS has a big XC area - I can't imagine you'd pay anything for a 3 km circuit!

I had a XC lesson this morning - superb conditions, snow absolutely perfect - I even managed the dreaded chasse-neige. We also did some "off piste" which was a laugh. I'd strongly recommend it, just as long as people don't think it's much easier than downhill skiing. Well, I suppose it is easier if you just have a flat piste in the floor of a valley - though that sounds pretty boring, to be honest. Even when there is snow on it.
snow conditions
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
shitolai,

For the 3km loop on the glacier your other half will probably need to buy a ticket to use the gondola.
snow conditions
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
but for the tracks in Kaprun village, no pass required at all. Would echo espri's advice that the Kitzsteinhorn glacier xc tracks are not really suitable for beginners. Other half was instructing xc in Kaprun for the last three days, but the tracks are a bit patchy - need a fresh fall of snow and cold enough temperatures. Hopefully this will come at the weekend. As for group lessons, the schools will only run them if there is demand. As Kaprun is not a huge xc area this is fairly unlikely, but ask again when you get here.

As for the glacier - today was the busiest I have ever seen it. Skied from 8.45 until 11, then decamped to Maiskogel as the queues on the glacier were crazy and the pistes worse. At 11.30 there were queues 10 deep at each of the ticket offices at the foot of the Kitzsteinhorn!

Think I'll come back when it is a bit quieter...
snow conditions
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
thank you
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy