Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Who to book ski holidays with?

Poster: A snowHead
This Feb will be our 3rd family Ski Trip and we have used Crystal Ski for all these trips. Anyone recommend a website, company that they have used other than Crystal, Nelson etc?
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
How old are the children?

For younger children where you are after kids clubs etc then Ski Esprit & Mark Warner ( though I can't comment on MW as I don't go with them until April).

I have also been with Inghams who we would happily go with again. There is also Ski Total (sister company to Esprit and Inghams) who I haven't gone with personally.
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
we have used ski world, neilson, inghams and ski total a few times, no complaints, and my bro uses mark warner a fair bit. Crystal once and never again. We usually go in catered chalets
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
12 the moment. Come the next trip - will be 13
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Similar to my bros family, so mark warner or ski esprit should suit well.
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Crystal have reliably been the worst tour op I've used, so pretty much anyone should be fine ;o) Ski france, ski world are both competent mid-sized companies ime. YSE in Val D Isere are excellent. Zenith ski are great if you don't mind arranging your own flights? Ski amis have good prices and locations (chalet service was okay, not great) - again own flights. Ski total aren't as good as they think they are, so overpriced at brochure prices, but on a deal they are good. Personally I just use igluski and take whatever comes up as good value. Except YSE who really do standout, we've never noticed that much difference between the companies...(catered chalet)
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
alangibson73, are you talking about this Feb, half term? If so, you might find you don't have a vast choice.
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
No - for next year. We are already booked up for Feb - off to Passo Tonale.
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
I've used sunweb twice lift pass is included in the price.
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
If you decide on which resort you want to go to, you might find some excellent independent companies exclusive to the resort.
latest report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
alangibson73, and thecramps, we used Mark Warner a fair bit (Val d'Isere twice, La Plagne once) before the kids left home and found them very good
But, the main selling point was their Ski Guiding.
This has now ceased pending a court hearing later in 2014 (see ESF take UK tour ops to court over alleged illegal ski guiding.)
I would be interested if Mark Warner (and other companies who used to offer "Guiding") have reduced their prices this year.

The other trouble with the larger organisations like Crystal and Mark Warner is the travel: flights are restricted, and then there is the dreaded "transfer" coach trip.
An alternative worth looking at are smaller companies that offer excellent catered chalets and custom transfers. You have to organise the flights, but you can fly to the airport of your choice at more or less any time, and then they will then pick you up from the airport in a minibus at time of your chosing, Saturday or Sunday. Take at look at SnowCrazy or Skibug.
snow conditions
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
For value i don't think you can beat snowtrex. I skied with my wife and 2 kids in Chamrousse last April with lift passes for everyone for 7 nights - £274!!!!! That was a 6 man apartment which by French standards was actually very nice. BTW the £274 was for the whole family, not each.
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
I've used Crystal for catered & self-catered. I'd only recommend them for self-catering apartments as long as you realise that you get what you pay for. I've also used Directski too and they are pretty similar.
I've used Skiline and Ski France for catered deals, both times with no complaints. I find it's always worth ringing Skiline last to see if they can get you the deal that you want.

I have to tell you that I always look at the bottom end of the market though.
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Jonpim wrote:
alangibson73, and thecramps, we used Mark Warner a fair bit (Val d'Isere twice, La Plagne once) before the kids left home and found them very good
But, the main selling point was their Ski Guiding.
This has now ceased pending a court hearing later in 2014 (see ESF take UK tour ops to court over alleged illegal ski guiding.)
I would be interested if Mark Warner (and other companies who used to offer "Guiding") have reduced their prices this year.

The other trouble with the larger organisations like Crystal and Mark Warner is the travel: flights are restricted, and then there is the dreaded "transfer" coach trip.
An alternative worth looking at are smaller companies that offer excellent catered chalets and custom transfers. You have to organise the flights, but you can fly to the airport of your choice at more or less any time, and then they will then pick you up from the airport in a minibus at time of your chosing, Saturday or Sunday. Take at look at SnowCrazy or Skibug.

Is this being badly affected by the new rules at Geneva for minibus's? Or are chalets just recommending flights to Lyon instead?
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
emwmarine, as I understand it, the companies offering free transfers are still using Geneva.
Presumably they have managed to comply with the new rules.
latest report
VIP offer more upmarket chalets at a fair price. I find it worth the extra, but no good if you are on a tight budget.
snow conditions
We used Crystal for I guess around 7-8 years whilst the kids were younger & we needed whizz kids & we always went with a large group including kids 22 or so, thankfully they have grown up, are competent skiers & we make our own way to resort [self drive, all part of the experience] rent our own apartment & self cater.

From a financial point of view the last time we went with Crystal was to Tignes 2011 we stayed at the Diva in Val Claret & I think the price was circa £1200 each & I we have 3 kids........without lift pass!

The following year we made our own arrangements & I think all in was under £4k..........happy days.

We have booked an apartment for Feb 2014 1/2 term [only two more years Very Happy of school holidays] in Les Menuires & I guess we will be under budget ftom last year.

You could go independent & book your kids in for private lessons & save a packet. Blush
snow report
If youre in the south try silver ski...only fly out of gatwick now
latest report
Out of the big companies, we've used Crystal and Inghams to go to Canada and had no problems with either. We also went on one trip with Ski Independence and they were excellent - great reps (who remembered us when we went back the following year) and very helpful office staff at this end. We tend to do DIY holidays so usually don't need the services of a TO.
snow conditions
Do it yourself?
snow report
twoodwar, skiing holidays organised by ourselves as opposed to going on a holiday to learn about plumbing and woodwork. rolling eyes
ski holidays
Yup, skiing holiday organised by yourself, although woodwork does appeal. Have not used a tour operator since 2003 for a ski holiday. Tend to save 10-20% on cost, and enjoy tailoring the package. Not for all I know.
snow conditions
Travelled with a TO the week before Christmas to Val d'Isere. Basic chalet hotel next to the slopes, excellent food all week for £650. That included ski hire and lift pass. There are good deals to be had.
ski holidays
laura1182, fair enough when you can choose to go outside school holidays. Wink
ski holidays
Just booked with Crystal in La Plagne. £425 p/p catered chalet in La Plagne with local well timed flights from Bristol.

Sounds good to me..what could possibly go wrong?

(Inc ski carriage)
latest report
geetee wrote:
laura1182, fair enough when you can choose to go outside school holidays. Wink

Only just - OH is a teacher but at a private school so we go either just before Xmas or during Easter holidays and if I'm lucky both! We are just limited to where we can go due to snow conditions at those times.
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy