Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Michael Schumacher "Gravely injured" in Meribel

Poster: A snowHead
Shimmy Alcott wrote:
Hells Bells, yes - its ok, but not as good as normal 8 out of 10 cats IMO

Anything is better with Rachel Riley Toofy Grin
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
The Flying Snowplough, Or whilst cracking one off for Rachel Riley? Madeye-Smiley
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
thecramps wrote:
The Flying Snowplough, Or whilst cracking one off for Rachel Riley? Madeye-Smiley

Very Happy

This thread's gone downhill quicker than a fat bloke on a greased baking tray (and I'm speaking from experience).
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
now has lung infection

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/worldnews/europe/france/10632608/Comatose-Michael-Schumacher-hit-by-lung-infection.html
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Not good Sad
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
AJQ, Same newspaper reporting today that he is over it. Smacks of the attitude "let's report something even though we know nothing" That way they have covered all the bases should anything, good or bad, occur.
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Whatever the state of his lungs if he is still in a coma over six weeks after the injury it is probably fair to conclude that the prognosis is not great.
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
I agree T Bar Sad
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
It may just have been better for all if he hadn't been wearing a helmet. It would seem that they simply don't work... any better than to save a few stitches.
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
allanm, It ain't over till the fat lady sings.
lung infection is hardly surprising considering he's being laying relatively still on h is back for 6 weeks. I still have hope for Michael, people spend years in a coma sometimes to recover by themselves. Things just take time.
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Spyderman, exactly. Not unusual to get pneumonia with long term ventilation. Treatment will be rapid and effective to sort the infection, especially given he was a very fit and healthy man prior to the accident.
latest report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Quote:
Did Camera Cause Michael Schumacher's Ski Helmet to Split?
Investigators believe that a camera fitted to Michael Schumacher's ski helmet may have caused it to shatter in an accident that left the seven times world Formula One champion hospitalised in a coma.

Experts from Ensa, a ski and climbing academy in the French resort of Chamonix, have been conducting tests to establish the effect of having an object between a ski helmet and a solid object when they collide.

"The helmet completely broke. It was in at least two parts. Ensa analysed the piece of the helmet to check the material, and all was OK," said a source close to the investigation.

"But why did it explode on impact? Here the camera comes into question. The laboratory has been testing to see if the camera weakened the structure."

Though the helmet broke, the camera was undamaged, and the footage Schumacher recorded of himself and his son skiing is being used by investigators to establish the cause of the crash, and the reason for Schumacher's injuries.

On Monday Patrick Quincy, who is leading the police investigation into the accident, is due to deliver his verdict. He is expected to clear the ski resort of any blame, and exonerate the company who manufactured Schumacher's helmet and skiing equipment.

The source added: "The equipment seems to have been in good order. The skis were almost new, the bindings were not faulty and the ski boots were fine."

Schumacher had been skiing off piste with his son and family friends seven weeks ago near his chalet in the French ski resort at Meribel when he had his accident.

He remains in a medically induced coma at Grenoble University Hospital.

In response to rumours that he had caught pneumonia, his family last week released a statement.

It said: "As assured from the beginning, we will continue to communicate any decisive new information on Michael's health state. We are aware that the wake-up phase can take a long time.

"The family continues to strongly believe in Michael's recovery."

http://uk.news.yahoo.com/did-camera-cause-michael-schumacher-39-ski-helmet-135945650.html#DogAtuP
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
twodogs wrote:
thecramps wrote:

Very Happy

This thread's gone downhill quicker than a fat bloke on a greased baking tray (and I'm speaking from experience).

Sorry chaps - she's married to a chum of mine from uni!
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Err have you read the papers lately!
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
She is not a girl that looks comfortable in her own skin Sad
snow conditions
I'm just wondering who 'the lawyers' were that said the dangers were not marked. The piste poles were in position so I am at a loss to understand their argument. Common sense seems to have prevailed. Still hoping that Schumi makes a full recovery.
snow report
Claude B wrote:
Err have you read the papers lately!

OH GOOD LORD!!

Need to call him...this is what happens when you lose touch with your mates. Poor guy.

Sorry for thread derailment
snow conditions
allanm wrote:
It may just have been better for all if he hadn't been wearing a helmet. It would seem that they simply don't work... any better than to save a few stitches.

Your glass certainly is half empty!

I know we've already discussed this, but suppose he wasn't wearing a helmet and was now six feet under. For a start his friends and family would then be left wondering (for a very long time indeed) whether or not a helmet could have possibly saved is life. If he doesn't pull through at least there will be no doubting that nothing more could have been done for him.

Plus of course he isn't actually dead yet and may still recover. It's obviously still in the balance, but it sure ain't better for all if he had died on the spot. No need to be so negative at this stage. I'm sure his family and friends would strongly disagree with your attitude and he didn't win 7 World Championships by taking the easy way out in critical situations.
snow report
uktrailmonster,

Don't put me in the Glass half empty category, and I certainly don't agree with allanm, 's post. BUT I would hate to hear that the true legend that is Michael Schumacher has come out of the coma, only to then to hear that he is in a permanent vegatative state. That I am sure you will agree would be devastating for his wife and family.
latest report
Quote:

Schumacher ski crash catapulted him 34ft on to rock as investigation rules out any criminal wrongdoing or safety breaches

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2561119/Schumacher-ski-crash-accident-piste-zone-criminal-wrongdoing-safety-breaches-ruled-out.html
latest report
Quote:
The news comes as Schumacher's family released a statement saying they 'strongly believe' the 45-year-old will recover from the December 29 skiing accident which has left him fighting for his life.

anyone heard anything about that statement?

Glad hes got over the pneumonia.
ski holidays
http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2559220/Family-Michael-Schumacher-say-strongly-believe-recover-skiing-accident-continues-wake-coma.html
latest report
Shimmy Alcott wrote:
http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2559220/Family-Michael-Schumacher-say-strongly-believe-recover-skiing-accident-continues-wake-coma.html

I do so hope this artical is correct. I would love to see a Schumi fit and well enough to be ripped apart by Clarkson and Hammond. That would have to be the event of the year IMO.
latest report
Quote:
Did Camera Cause Michael Schumacher's Ski Helmet to Split?

"But why did it explode on impact?

Cripes, another worry about helmets. What if they go off spontaneously Laughing

Bloody Yahoo rolling eyes
latest report
Just been reading that http://www.telegraph.co.uk/sport/motorsport/formulaone/michael-schumacher/10640839/Michael-Schumacher-skiing-crash-did-helmet-camera-cause-head-injuries.html

Is a point of view and must say it had occured to me that I wouldn't want someone with a helmet mounted camera headbutting me camera first at full speed
latest report
Boris wrote:
Is a point of view and must say it had occured to me that I wouldn't want someone with a helmet mounted camera headbutting me camera first at full speed

Particularly if they were to hit me in my rear end - I believe a colonoscopy is an unpleasant procedure at the best of times.... Toofy Grin
snow report
Alastair Pink, colonoscopy equipment is expensive. Go-pro's are much cheaper, could save the NHS a fortune. Madeye-Smiley
latest report
I thought I read on MSN earlier that his docs are going to/are bringing him out of the induced coma?

That was a one-liner after spending the rest of the article basically saying no-one can sue anyone else because no laws were broken Puzzled

Is it me just being naive, I thought the poor bloke had an accident, what's all the crap about the local prosecutors?
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Quote:

docs are going to/are bringing him out of the induced coma?

very slowly apparently, started over a week ago IIRC

Quote:

what's all the crap about the local prosecutors?

his lawyers potentially prosecuting the hill for potentially not marking the dangers I think
snow report
Boris wrote:
Just been reading that http://www.telegraph.co.uk/sport/motorsport/formulaone/michael-schumacher/10640839/Michael-Schumacher-skiing-crash-did-helmet-camera-cause-head-injuries.html

If you saw the tests the ENSA did (maybe they are on Youtube? ) the issue is with the sticky mount changing the characteristics of the helmet. Basically with a go-pro mounted on the helmet the outer skin will fracture at the mount point rather than flexing and absorbing the energy. In the ENSA tests on a set-up similar to schumacher's the whole helmet split in two like a melon. That may not be what you want.

When I worked at a bike school the instructors always reinforced on students not to cover their helmets with stickers for similar reasons.
snow conditions
Quote:

not to cover their helmets with stickers for similar reasons.

interesting point. I know at ski lessons in the UK my daughter used to get a sticker to write her name on and stick on her helmet to help the instructors. I dont think they do it anymore though.
snow conditions
Shimmy Alcott, I've seen loads of snowHead stickers on helmets. OH has a couple on his.
snow report
maggi, Shocked Me too - thanks admin Madeye-Smiley
snow conditions
mozwold, the prosecutors are the people in France who investigate the accident. They look at it from all angles to establish what happened.
snow conditions
maggi, genepi, there are really two aspects to this. davidof refers to tests done by ENSA concerning the effect of placing a rigid go-pro mount on the helmet - I can well believe that as he says this changes the loading characteristics during an impact such that the helmet cracks at the mount point rather than flexing as intended. The second aspect concerns the potential for the adhesive on stickers to chemically alter the behaviour of the helmet plastic. I would certainly expect certain types of adhesive e.g airfix style polystyrene cement to adversely affect helmet plastic, however the adhesive on most paper stickers is I believe a gum type and I would not expect this to affect the plastic. However to be on the safe side I have only put a small snowHeads sticker on my new helmet right by the back edge well away from the central part of the helmet. Perhaps admin could comment on the adhesive used on his stickers... Madeye-Smiley
snow report
Alastair Pink, I'm sure it won't be a problem nowadays. It was a problem that became apparent with early polycarbonate motorcycle helmets in the eighties but we are way past that now. Normal sticker adhesive these days is fine.
ski holidays
thecramps, I'm sure you're correct about normal sticker adhesive being fine.
snow report
The silly s*ds are out in force today!

http://www.mirror.co.uk/news/world-news/michael-schumacher-latest-news-f1-3154367

Schumacher was skiing at modest speed and was 'thrown 34 feet'?? This is based on the fact that the two rocks - the one that he caught a ski on....and the one he eventually hit, were 34 feet apart. Not the same thing at all. How fast does one have to go on a section of slope that wasn't much steeper than a green run to be airborne for 34ft?
snow report
davidof wrote:
Boris wrote:

If you saw the tests the ENSA did (maybe they are on Youtube? ) the issue is with the sticky mount changing the characteristics of the helmet. Basically with a go-pro mounted on the helmet the outer skin will fracture at the mount point rather than flexing and absorbing the energy. In the ENSA tests on a set-up similar to schumacher's the whole helmet split in two like a melon. That may not be what you want.

When I worked at a bike school the instructors always reinforced on students not to cover their helmets with stickers for similar reasons.

I found it interesting that the investigators were trying to "blame the GoPro mount" and kinda said to myself, what a load of bobbins, trying to find another reason to point the finger. But actually you have a fair point about the ENSA tests. I wasn't sure whether he had a camera on at the time or if even just having the mount by itself would be enough to weaken. The mnention of stickers causing problems though is a bit eep! Skullie
latest report
JanA wrote:
The silly s*ds are out in force today!

http://www.mirror.co.uk/news/world-news/michael-schumacher-latest-news-f1-3154367

Schumacher was skiing at modest speed and was 'thrown 34 feet'?? This is based on the fact that the two rocks - the one that he caught a ski on....and the one he eventually hit, were 34 feet apart. Not the same thing at all. How fast does one have to go on a section of slope that wasn't much steeper than a green run to be airborne for 34ft?

Maybe he fell down the slope. You can travel a long distance when the slope is falling away in the direction of travel. The small off-piste area where he crashed is between a blue piste and a red piste so it could be assumed that the off-piste area was at least that steep.
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy