Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Michael Schumacher "Gravely injured" in Meribel

Poster: A snowHead
halfhand, Not getting at you Smile Just the way the media are trying for every possible angle to sell more stories.
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
maggi wrote:
I think we probably all agree that, in this particular, specific accident, a helmet saved a life.

However, if Michael had not been wearing a helmet, this particular, specific accident would not have occurred. I'm not talking subjectives, like risk compensation, but about the physics. A helmet is a physical thing. It's not like wearing a different beanie. It has volume and it has weight, therefore, the body has to make adjustments for this. Michael's C of G, and therefore his balance, would be changed. Therefore his fall would too. And it's consequences, for better or worse.

This is neither a pro, nor anti, argument. I'm just fed up of statements on the lines of "He would be dead without the helmet" or "He wouldn't have risked it without the helmet". Nobody can possibly know.

All the best to Michael X

Bolloxs
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Avalanche Poodle wrote:
In terms of constructive argument then it's more like road runner and coyote (which one are you?). You probably outweigh them on one count Wink

Just choked on me stuffin sarnie. Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
maggi wrote:
Richard_Sideways, it wouldn't put him "off his game" but, like the proverbial butterfly, it would change this specific accident.

My last word. I'm not getting into arguments, just stating a fact.

But its not a fact it's a subjective point of view which when tagged onto "its my last word" means I know its my subjective view and in the face of reasoned debate which I will certainly lose I'm gonna bow out. !
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
PJSki wrote:
kat.ryb wrote:
Quote:

Can't a firendly mod just put all their posts somewhere else?

We need a new forum rule. Comedy Goldsmith and PJSki are an embarrassment to SCGB, an embarrassment to themselves and to SH with all this petty squabbling and derailing of threads.

Guys, take it to SCGB forum, or to PMs, or to the pub. Anywhere but here.

I think we need a new furum rule where any squabbling by those two over ancient SCGB history results in an instant ban!

Poor wittle diddums, did someone on the internetiwetty say somfing you didn't likeywikey?

There, there, there.

Agreed
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Comedy Goldsmith wrote:
kat.ryb wrote:
I think we need a new furum rule where any squabbling by those two over ancient SCGB history results in an instant ban!

Why not set up the British Bored of Forum Censors?

This thread's one of the most popular in snowHeads history, no thanks to you and your fellow censors. "SCGB history" is part and parcel of why helmets took off in the UK, at a time when the Ski Club was still a flickering candle of influence. SCGB matters have hardly dominated the thread.

A large number of helmets have been mis-sold in this country, and safety equipment should never be flogged on that basis. If there's an honest argument for them, why aren't they sold that way? And how come helmet makers put dangerous music phones inside them?

Michael Schumacher's accident is absolutely pivotal in this story, and it can be discussed as the community wishes to discuss it. Sod your censorship.

Agreed
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Edited - Probably a little too much in bad taste wink

Last edited by Then you can post your own questions or snow reports... on Sun 5-01-14 0:34; edited 1 time in total
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Avalanche Poodle, Chrissake, Pete, go to bed!! Laughing
snow conditions
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
The Flying Gooseberry, I can't as long as there are knob heads to wind up Wink
latest report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
I've given up on sensible discussion I'm afraid.
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Avalanche Poodle, oh alright then! Toofy Grin (I didn't get that stuff about road runners and coyotes, btw. Confused )
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
The Flying Gooseberry, Oh god, the old cartoons.
http://youtube.com/v/54d21XS_GbQ

Purely for the end of the saga.
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
The Flying Gooseberry, On a par with Tom and Jerry, eternal enemies Smile
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Avalanche Poodle, Laughing Laughing
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Just wanted to say that this thread is great material for encouraging people to become super-snowheads (which among other benefits gives you the ability to ignore more than one idiot at a time...)
snow report
Avalanche Poodle, Laughing Laughing
snow report
Avalanche Poodle wrote:
halfhand, Not getting at you Smile Just the way the media are trying for every possible angle to sell more stories.
S'ok, didn't take offence Toofy Grin .
ski holidays
disappointed in the admins here...
ski holidays
hobbiteater wrote:
disappointed in the admins here...

Why? Are you expecting them to censor any arguments that you don't like?

The terms and conditions are quite liberal (see here: http://snowheads.com/ski-forum/snowTerms.php). Perhaps you should have a read and rethink what you were expecting of the moderators.

Alternatively, you could try dropping admin a line and suggesting the addition of a more intensively moderated sub forum... there are certainly other folk here who'd be interested in such a thing. Or, as a last resort, you could try stopping reading threads that offend you.
ski holidays
I dont wont censorship but id have split the thread, one about schumacher, one for all the other stuff
ski holidays
BBC reports on the 'vigil' at the hospital - http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-europe-25597961

This just gets sicker by the minute. What on earth do all these weirdos think they are doing? Do they seriously think that projecting MS's age onto the side of a hospital does anyone any good at all? Is it what MS or his family would like? How do the patients in those rooms feel about it? I find it utterly bizarre that these people are not only doing something so utterly pointless and unhelpful to the family but that they seem to have formed such dysfunctional attachments to a man they don't even know.

And where on earth did this giant flag come from? Please, please tell me that Ferrari had nothing to do with it....

And this picture of one David Cacciatore [no relation I assume] looks like they are all on a jolly family outing. Some days I really despair of the human race.

By all means say a prayer for the poor man, or send a donation to a brain injury charity, but I just wish they would leave the family and the hospital alone and get on with their own bizarre lives.
latest report
I read on the BBC that investigators are examining Shuey's helmet cam. Why? It's a sad fact the people do die on the slopes from time to time. There doesn't seem to be any implication that anyone else was involved.
snow report
martinm, just part of the accident investigation, probably required to collect all available evidence in case there needs to be an inquest.
snow conditions
martinm, he isn't dead.
snow conditions
True, but some do. They don't get such an investigation.
ski holidays
martinm, I'd imagine there is a thorough investigation into every fatality on the mountain, with witness statements taken and verified. The increasing amount of cameras in the mountains means it's likely that those carrying out the investigation will increasingly rely upon them.

Last edited by snowHeads are a friendly bunch. on Sat 4-01-14 11:40; edited 1 time in total
snow conditions
The moderators allow you to post almost anything without censorship, we leave it to you to decide how many of your fellow snowheads should be ignored (more than one) and only pull a few threads, if there is obvious bullying, spam, racial or sexual insults and one or two other things, personally I'm not in favour of CG's SCGB bashing but at the same time I do think he has the odd valid point, I also leave it up to yourselves to decide what kind of image the SCGB presents when it's own senior members bash CG
ski holidays
Avalanche Poodle wrote:
Hit a rock, had a very unlucky fall. For fucks sake Sad

This is pretty much my reading of the situation.
I'm sure we've all done riskier things on skis (or board) and not batted an eyelid.
I'm sure we've all had silly trips/falls doing mundane stuff on the slopes, in the home or (in my case) mountain-biking. All it takes is for a pointy rock to be in the wrong place and it's a head injury.
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
hobbiteater wrote:
I dont wont censorship but id have split the thread, one about schumacher, one for all the other stuff

And how long do you think the 'sensible' thread would stay sensible for?
ski holidays
I've been a member of a boating forum (Ribnet) for many years. It has four pretty switched on Mods and an Admin team. The Ribnet team would've split a mess such as this way back, re-titled the helmet row and allowed it to continue separately from the Schumacher thread.

I'm also not keen on censorship, but there is definitely a need for moderation on all forums inorder to keep things in shape and provide a clear historical database.

Are there any SH mods? wink
snow report
Mollerski, yes, I am a snowheads Mod, there are a few of us, many of us have busy lives and were probably away skiing at the start of the thread. I really don't think it serves any purpose to start splitting the thread now, it would give me an awful headache for a start.
latest report
Higs, you have a very good point. In the past when threads have been split, removed etc etc, that is exactly what has happened.
latest report
D G Orf wrote:
we leave it to you to decide how many of your fellow snowheads should be ignored (more than one)

More than one only if you pay for "super mega snowhead" status £50.

I'm not going pay £50 for the privilege of ignoring those whose idea of fun is posting when pissed but my belief in snowheads as a fun place to pass some time certainly hasn't been boosted by this thread.
snow conditions
Hells Bells wrote:
Higs, you have a very good point. In the past when threads have been split, removed etc etc, that is exactly what has happened.

Yeah, but the Schummy thread could've/should've run along with a degree of respect/concern for the guys situation and the helmet split could've/would've degenerated into the same old helmet row which very few people would've been remotely interested in.
ski holidays
Quote:

More than one only if you pay for "super mega snowhead" status £50.

Eh? You don't need to pay that much....
Quote:
You get 12 months 'super-snowHead' subscription for £30.
Or, set up a regular annual subscription of £25/yr

Subscribing (as a mega-snowHead):
The 'prestige' rank of 'mega-snowHead' is for any one who donates over £50. TBH you don't really get anything much extra for it other than our gratitude and perhaps a nice warm feeling
http://snowheads.com/ski-forum/support_snowHeads.php
ski holidays
Mollerski wrote:
Hells Bells wrote:

Yeah, but the Schummy thread could've/should've run along with a degree of respect/concern for the guys situation and the helmet split could've/would've degenerated into the same old helmet row which very few people would've been remotely interested in.

Blimey what is it coming to when you get to decide what I get to read ???

If you don't want to read it, don't

Personally I find it odd that many posters are saying it is wrong to be discussing helmets in a thread about MS. Personally I think it is odd that so many posters are posting about MS and not about anyone else seriously hub in the alps in the past couple of weeks.
snow report
nozawaonsen wrote:
martinm, I'd imagine there is a thorough investigation into every fatality on the mountain, with witness statements taken and verified. The increasing amount of cameras in the mountains means it's likely that those carrying out the investigation will increasingly rely upon them.

There is a thorough investigation in this case because insurers may have to pay out a great deal of money and they need to find out what Meribel Alpina's responsibility is in all this as their insurers may be liable.

Normally they load you into an ambulance, chat to a couple of eye witnesses then write "ski accident" on the form and that's that. There is no formal inquest system in France.
ski holidays
davidof, should MS die though, his main country of residence may have such a system?

sev112, do we have any news reports on these people?
ski holidays
davidof, should MS die though, his main country of residence may have such a system?

sev112, do we have any news reports on these people? You can easily start a thread if you wish.
ski holidays
Hells Bells wrote:
Mollerski, yes, I am a snowheads Mod, there are a few of us, many of us have busy lives and were probably away skiing at the start of the thread. I really don't think it serves any purpose to start splitting the thread now, it would give me an awful headache for a start.
Not to mention a splitting headache Laughing . I'll get me coat Toofy Grin
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy