Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Michael Schumacher "Gravely injured" in Meribel

Poster: A snowHead
No, I think the logic goes something like:

1. Monkeys do not wear helmets.
2. CS does not wear a helmet.

=> ipso facto, CS is a monkey?
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Comedy Goldsmith wrote:
PJSki, what a master of logic you are: yes, the dead can't speak.

Conversely, those who maybe insulated their brains from risk with a plastic exo-skull (bucket) and had a bad head injury as a possible result (the 'risk compensation' factor) probably won't be able to tell the tale either.

I spent much of yesterday at these locations where skaters congregated, where you'll note an absence of helmets near reinforced concrete. I'm not saying anything in particular, but maybe these teen and twenties skaters know something we don't ...

http://www.itv.com/news/london/2014-01-02/skateboarders-battle-to-save-south-bank-skate-park/

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-london-25576097

Monkeys don't wear helmets either when swinging around trees, but nature generally looks after their heads. Maybe naked apes should have more confidence in their environmental subconsciousness.

do you how many people died in 2010 from coconuts falling on them???????????????? around 80-90!! makes sense to protect your bonce Cool
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
jirac18 wrote:
stanton, yet another wild assumption that can neither be proved or disproved. Do you work on Fleet Street by any chance?

Its not wild . It happens but no one knows or talks about it.

We could also talk about unhealthy people going skiing & the number ofFatal cadiac arrests (you would be surprsed)there are on the slopes every sesson.
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Serriadh wrote:
Comedy Goldsmith wrote:
Monkeys don't wear helmets either when swinging around trees, but nature generally looks after their heads.

Christ on a bike, do you actually read what you type?

Monkeys don't use antibiotics, pain killers, surgery, splints, casts, stitches, houses, clothing, cooking, vehicles or even the internet, if you can believe that.

You'll be emulating them in those aspects as well, right?

What the idiot Goldsmith fails to see, is that monkeys are experts at swinging through the trees, as evolution has equipped them with those skills rather than helmets.

I suspect the elitist Goldsmith would prefer that only expert skiers be allowed on the hill.
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
PJSki, Just fishing............................................................. Oh Got one.
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Reading this thread has made me feel so very very very sorry for the ski club of great britain people.
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
stanton, as it happens neither of these (fatalities from non head injuries or cardiac arrests) are especially surprising to me.

It is tragic that people are seriously injured or killed because of losing control on piste and I am sure that speed (and in some cases maybe alcohol) plays a part in at least some of these instances.

If there is clear evidence (statistical rather than anecdotal) that links an increase in these incidents in recent years with an increase in people wearing helmets, then that would be worth looking at. But I'm not aware that you have provided any?
snow conditions
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
nozawaonsen, did you read the New York Times article (31 December), by Kelley McMillan?

Ski Helmet Use Isn’t Reducing Brain Injuries
http://www.nytimes.com/2014/01/01/sports/on-slopes-rise-in-helmet-use-but-no-decline-in-brain-injuries.html?smid=fb-nytimes&WT.z_sma=SP_SHU_20140102&bicmp=AD&bicmlukp=WT.mc_id&bicmst=1388552400000&bicmet=1420088400000&_r=0
latest report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Comedy Goldsmith, did you read the comments from Schumacher's doctors that his wearing a helmet meant they had a serious brain injury to deal with rather than a corpse?
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Snow Hound wrote:
moffatross wrote:
dennisp wrote:
Snow Hound wrote:
I come here looking for an update MS's health

a funny post in a sad thread

It's actually turned into an oddly funny thread with all the tut-tutting, empty prayers and overt agendas on either side of a daft premise. And to imagine that someone would really choose to garner information on a celebrity's health status via a thread on a chit-chat forum is just plain crackers. Madeye-Smiley Is google broken Puzzled

I'd actually chosen to garner information about conditions in the resort to which I am travelling this coming Saturday. My good wife chose that very same moment to inquire as to whether I had any recent information on Michael Schumacher's condition. I mistakenly assumed that two clicks to this thread might allow me to satisfy my wife's curiosity and allow me to return forthwith to the weather thread.

I sincerely hope that the above explanation is satisfactory, if somewhat unnecessary.

But what actually happened is you got suckered in to tut-tutting and telling snowheads that you wear a helmet. wink Thanks for the explanation though ... snowheads forum threads could be a mathematicians paradise for examining cause and effect. Madeye-Smiley
snow conditions
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Comedy Goldsmith wrote:
nozawaonsen, did you read the New York Times article (31 December), by Kelley McMillan?

Ski Helmet Use Isn’t Reducing Brain Injuries
http://www.nytimes.com/2014/01/01/sports/on-slopes-rise-in-helmet-use-but-no-decline-in-brain-injuries.html?smid=fb-nytimes&WT.z_sma=SP_SHU_20140102&bicmp=AD&bicmlukp=WT.mc_id&bicmst=1388552400000&bicmet=1420088400000&_r=0

Yes I did. It says almost nothing about on piste fatalities unrelated to head injuries (a category mind you which has very little to do with Schumacher's accident).

Last edited by snowHeads are a friendly bunch. on Fri 3-01-14 11:42; edited 1 time in total
latest report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
rob@rar wrote:
Comedy Goldsmith, did you read the comments from Schumacher's doctors that his wearing a helmet meant they had a serious brain injury to deal with rather than a corpse?

Yes I did, and it would also be interesting to have their views on the possibility - being aired more and more widely by epidemiologists - that 'risk compensation' may be playing a part in helmet-wearers possibly having the same number of head injuries as in the past.

Perhaps ... very hopefully ... Michael Schumacher himself will regain a voice to join the discussion (though his memory of his own accident may - of course - blank).
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Comedy Goldsmith wrote:
rob@rar wrote:

Yes I did, and it would also be interesting to have their views on the possibility - being aired more and more widely by epidemiologists - that 'risk compensation' may be playing a part in helmet-wearers possibly having the same number of head injuries as in the past.

Perhaps ... very hopefully ... Michael Schumacher himself will regain a voice to join the discussion (though his memory of his own accident may - of course - blank).

At this stage there is very little to suggest that any form of "risk compensation" played a part in Schumacher's accident.

There is clear medical opinion that the helmet prevented a fatal accident.
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Of course stanton, there could also be the equivalent to WW1 helmet issues on the slope, in WW1 after the British issued helmets they were alarmed to see far more head injuries in hospital, they started to think that helmets were encouraging their troops to be reckless, in reality there were more troops in hospital because they were no longer going straight to the morgue
snow conditions
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Comedy Goldsmith wrote:
rob@rar wrote:

Once again you look for the 'evidence' that best suits your agenda. You are a biased and dishonest commentator who never fails, in my opinion, to exhibit the most appalling journalistic standards.

When you complain to the Advertising Standards Authority about helmet ads, do you admit to being an extreme anti-helmet campaigner? I may well write to the ASA and ask them to take your complaints with a pinch of salt.

For disclosure: I make no money from the ski helmet industry and every lid I've owned, I've bought myself.
ski holidays
PJSki wrote:
You are a biased and dishonest commentator who never fails, in my opinion, to exhibit the most appalling journalistic standards.

When you complain to the Advertising Standards Authority about helmet ads, do you admit to being an extreme anti-helmet campaigner? I may well write to the ASA and ask them to take your complaints with a pinch of salt.

I've never complained to the ASA, but go for it and make a fool of yourself (yet again). I did report the Daily Telegraph to the PCC (Press Complaints Commission) about a report concerning head injuries and helmets, partly based on rubbish touted by the SCGB (in association with the discount ski rental chain Ski Republic) and inadvertently accepted as truth by the Telegraph. As you know, the SCGB untruthfully reported in the year 2000 that 50% of ski injuries are head injuries ... to sell helmets by mail order.

Press Complaints Commission case report
http://www.pcc.org.uk/news/index.html?article=NjI4Ng==

Calling me dishonest is, of course, libellous, since it's (a) untrue and unprovable and (b) defamatory. We'll let that go, but be aware that your conduct, performance and general record at the Ski Club of Great Britain - as a representative and director/councillor - is under review.
snow conditions
Thoughts go out to Schumacher and his family, fingers crossed for a full recovery.

"Risk Compensation" - for me, personally, wearing a ski helmet really does nothing to allay my fear of leg breaks, dislocated shoulders and exploded spleens. Honestly, head injuries are one factor but a torn ACL is a much more likely scenario and therefore the risk of that has more weighting for me.
snow report
Please could everybody take their stupid spats elsewhere than this thread?
I just heard on the BBC News that a vigil is being held outside MS' hospital, to mark his birthday. I do hope he's on the mend.
ski holidays
London_Falcon wrote:
Thoughts go out to Schumacher and his family, fingers crossed for a full recovery.

"Risk Compensation" - for me, personally, wearing a ski helmet really does nothing to allay my fear of leg breaks, dislocated shoulders and exploded spleens. Honestly, head injuries are one factor but a torn ACL is a much more likely scenario and therefore the risk of that has more weighting for me.

That's the reality for 99.999999999% of helmet wearers.
latest report
The Flying Gooseberry wrote:
Please could everybody take their stupid spats elsewhere than this thread?
I just heard on the BBC News that a vigil is being held outside MS' hospital, to mark his birthday. I do hope he's on the mend.

+1
snow conditions
Serriadh wrote:
Monkeys don't use ........ or even the internet

I think evidence suggests that plenty of them do Wink
snow report
Out of respect for Schumacher, my favourite ever F1 driver, I have managed thus far to resist polluting this thread with a helmet comment. However;

Three points.

Why should we be interested in the comments of any journalist, they are almost all liars to varying degrees, at best economical with the facts and generous in omission.

Any statistics can be found to lead to any conclusion anyone wants them to. That NYtimes report is a classic example, their readers must be very stupid indeed.

This is the 'free' world and if someone doesn't want to wear a helmet then good luck to them. If they have financial dependants then they are an irresponsible bell end. if their irresponsibility extends to letting their minor dependants ski without a helmet then if I ever meet them I will kick them so hard they certainly won't be able to add to the number of minor dependants they choose to endanger.

PS, a fourth point. Further helmet debate is irrelevant anyway as within a very short time frame you won't be insured if you don't have a helmet on. This unfortunate incident will only accelerate that process, especially if Michael Schumacher recovers well and I certainly hope he does.

That is all.
ski holidays
PJSki wrote:

For disclosure: I make no money from the ski helmet industry and every lid I've owned, I've bought myself.

But the Ski Club of Great Britain, of which you're a director, has a track record of making money from the ski helmet industry and using false information to promote their use. There was a time (c.10 years ago) when SCGB members got the impression that all staff and representatives were being expected to wear helmets (many of them were suddenly photo'ed in SCGB publications sporting them) - this information may even have been communicated to members. Are you aware of any free helmets or substantially discounted helmets being made available to them? Or any compulsion being applied to SCGB personnel to wear helmets?
latest report
Is there any chance that Comedy Goldsmith and PJSki, could just have a thread of their own where they can argue with each other? And it not be this one.
ski holidays
Comedy Goldsmith wrote:
. Are you aware of any free helmets or substantially discounted helmets being made available to them? Or any compulsion being applied to SCGB personnel to wear helmets?

No, I'm not aware of anything like that happening.

Last edited by Ski the Net with snowHeads on Fri 3-01-14 12:58; edited 1 time in total
ski holidays
Quote:

Is there any chance that Comedy Goldsmith and PJSki, could just have a thread of their own where they can argue with each other? And it not be this one.

+1 This thread really is the pits - it reflects very badly on Snowheads (or on a few of them, at any rate).
ski holidays
pam w wrote:
This thread really is the pits.

Finally some Formula 1 relevance.
snow report
robboj wrote:

This is the 'free' world and if someone doesn't want to wear a helmet then good luck to them.

......if I ever meet them I will kick them so hard they certainly won't be able to add to the number of minor dependants they choose to endanger.

Make yer mind up rolling eyes

Quote:
within a very short time frame you won't be insured if you don't have a helmet on.

Says who?
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
martinm, must be a journalist
latest report
martinm, says an irrationally violent individual.
snow report
Is there a filter that can be applied to the this thread???

ID != Comedy Goldsmith || ID != PJSki
snow report
Nope. Not violent either Smile
latest report
nozawaonsen, suggested title for new thread;

"Can you help? - I think helmets are unsafe, giving a false sense of security, and nothing anyone says will change my mind."
snow report
bruisedskier, click the + icon next to their name and select Ignore. Blessed peace.
snow conditions
martinm, you're not but robboj, who said it, sounds like he is.
snow conditions
people in helmets dont look cool.

I'm fairly sure that a large number of the people preaching the advantages of helmets are doing so not out of some sort of duty of care to help out other skiers/snowboarders but rather to get everyone wearing helmets to help reduce there own insecurities about there own appearence.
snow conditions
Bode Swiller, no not really, just rather blunt and to the point, says it like it is kinda guy. Little Angel

martinm, if you want to quote me please quote what I said, not what you want others to read?
ski holidays
Quote:

yes, people from all over Europe have come, I'm popping by in about an hour to pay my respects so I'll say a little prayer on behalf of snowheads.
snow report
Can't a firendly mod just put all their posts somewhere else?
snow conditions
Just click the ignore button, however it would make reading some topcs quite hard.
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy