Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Michael Schumacher "Gravely injured" in Meribel

Poster: A snowHead
I suspect for someone like Schumacher, a helmet was an every day piece of kit. After all he wore one daily in his career as a racing driver. I still think it should be personal choice though.
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
cc_7up wrote:
Will the insurance companies jump on the bandwagon...

Well, as far as I know only one insists on helmet wearing and it doesn't take them long to put out a Michael Schumacher press release: http://www.essentialtravel.co.uk/media/press-release/micheal-schumacher.asp

Hmmm.
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
thecramps wrote:
Bode Swiller, We will probably never know the truth. Between the rubbish in the papers and super hero stories I suspect the truth lies. In other words, he was just out skiing with his son and had an accident and has been very unlucky to have sustained a serious head injury.

I am reliably informed that the French prosecutor has asked the police to interview Sabine Kehm (Schumacher's manager) to verify the story she has been giving out.
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Bode Swiller wrote:
thecramps wrote:
Bode Swiller, We will probably never know the truth. Between the rubbish in the papers and super hero stories I suspect the truth lies. In other words, he was just out skiing with his son and had an accident and has been very unlucky to have sustained a serious head injury.

I am reliably informed that the French prosecutor has asked the police to interview Sabine Kehm (Schumacher's manager) to verify the story she has been giving out.

Establishing the actual chain of events would be a pretty standard start point.

http://www.ledauphine.com/societe/2014/01/01/le-point-sur-l-enquete-hpig
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Lesson no 1 for PR releases - get the spelling right Wink (rooting not routing)

Alasdair
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
akirk wrote:
Lesson no 1 for PR releases - get the spelling right Wink (rooting not routing)

Alasdair

Lesson no 2 (possibly lesson no 0) try spelling the name right in title of the press release...

"Routing for Micheal Schumcachers Full Recovery"
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Marketing is a poweful & worrying at the sanr time.

Folk are wearing ABS backpacks and yet never realuse that a cracked
Plastic buckle (stamped on in apres ski) renders them useless.

Nearly all would if never done a test run to see how quickt they would react. Like if you canImagine yourself in a boxing ring & how quick you can guard your face. This is the unexpected reaction speed you need to activate an ABSin an Avi.

Best use of money for Helmet & Backpack Brigade is to invest
In ski lessons & safety

Very Happy
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
stanton, Agreed about the need to train and practice. I lock down the handle on mine and practice how quickly I can grab it in various positions. This paid off when I skied a tiny chute between rocks on a pretty low profile slope and suddenly two cracks shot out in front of me and my feet were then swept out from under me. I landed on my side and actually had my hand gripping the handle before I hit the deck. I saw that it was only a localised slide so did not pull it but had a very strong grip, any more sliding or being tumbled and I would have activated it. As it turned out, the slide only carried me a few metres and then stopped, it was a small patch of wind slab that had built up below the rocks, the rest of the slope was fine. I caught it on head cam, one for the collection Madeye-Smiley
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
dennisp wrote:
never summer, i would term that differently.

'every' head impact will be reduced by wearing a helmet - whether its sufficient to protect against damage is obviously dependent on the type of impact - i.e. falling off a cliff and landing on your head with a helmet on probably won't make a difference to the outcome.

Some impacts are worse with a helmet than without. Please don't write unsubstantiated rubbish.

http://www.cyclehelmets.org/1039.html (If you consider this to be rubbish, at least it's substantiated.)

stanton I had a lesson (on piste) in St Anton a couple of years ago with an instructor who was wearing an ABS pack. Today I'd ask him to take it off if he wanted to teach me.
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
James the Last wrote:

stanton I had a lesson (on piste) in St Anton a couple of years ago with an instructor who was wearing an ABS pack. Today I'd ask him to take it off if he wanted to teach me.

Why?
latest report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
James the Last wrote:
dennisp wrote:

'every' head impact will be reduced by wearing a helmet - whether its sufficient to protect against damage is obviously dependent on the type of impact - i.e. falling off a cliff and landing on your head with a helmet on probably won't make a difference to the outcome.

Some impacts are worse with a helmet than without. Please don't write unsubstantiated rubbish.

http://www.cyclehelmets.org/1039.html (If you consider this to be rubbish, at least it's substantiated.)

Whilst it would always be easy to think of a way that wearing a helmet would give a worse outcome in an accident situation, in general terms that's bollox.

Last edited by snowHeads are a friendly bunch. on Thu 2-01-14 20:42; edited 1 time in total
snow conditions
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
James the Last wrote:
Some impacts are worse with a helmet than without.

Hitting a high-friction surface like a road at an angle with your head whilst travelling about 20mph will do it. Pretty much every other situation, you'll either benefit from a helmet or be dead regardless. That's not really a good reason not to wear a helmet, stuff like MIPS may help here, and falling onto a road is pretty different from falling into snow...

(also, see this link instead http://www.cyclehelmets.org/1182.html for more actual content, and fewer links to those theiving buggers at Elsevier).

Last edited by And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports. on Thu 2-01-14 16:41; edited 1 time in total
snow conditions
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
James the Last wrote:
dennisp wrote:

It is worth noting that the link (while valid) is refering to rotational issues...
there are technologies to mitigate against rotational issues (inner low friction liners to allow the skull to rotate within the helmet while minimising impact damage) - it is possible that these helmets would reduce / remove that issue...

Alasdair
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
stanton, I take your point, but that is a bit like saying another 30 minute driving lesson is better than wearing a seat belt. Of course, training is extremely valuable but it's not really a question of 'either / or' unless finances are minimal and finite. The cost of a helmet equates to approximately 20 minutes of private instruction. Both might save your skin, but 20 minutes is so short I'd probably go for the helmet IF I had to choose between the two. Then again, my own expertise is irrelevant if I get taken out by someone else.
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
akirk wrote:
James the Last wrote:
dennisp wrote:

It is worth noting that the link (while valid) is refering to rotational issues...
there are technologies to mitigate against rotational issues (inner low friction liners to allow the skull to rotate within the helmet while minimising impact damage) - it is possible that these helmets would reduce / remove that issue...

Alasdair

I think that's the new "MIPS" helmets, so buy the right helmet, not a valid argument.
latest report
James the Last, If I was an instructor I wouldn't want to leave a £600 pack that may also have a first aid kit etc in it somewhere out of my sight. Plus he may require the bag for the next lesson where he may be going off piste.
snow report
James the Last wrote:
I had a lesson (on piste) in St Anton a couple of years ago with an instructor who was wearing an ABS pack. Today I'd ask him to take it off if he wanted to teach me.

I'm puzzled Puzzled
ski holidays
Demos look better without a pack. Never mind his next lesson or where he's going to stow it. The other thing going through his mind might be "where's he taking me that he thinks he might need an airbag, yet I haven't got one" kinda thing.
snow conditions
And I thought this thread couldn't get any more absurd Confused
ski holidays
What a load of snowheads obblox.
snow report
Any news on how the man is getting along?
ski holidays
call me dave wrote:
Do we really need to know the details about how it happened? Personally I don't, not beyond the basics.

Personally speaking, I am much more interested in the details of how it happened the I am in the entrenched debate about helmets. When I read about people caught in avalanches off-piste, I console myself that it won't happen to me because I don't go off-piste. However this accident happened in an area between two pistes that was nothing more than a small patch of unbashed rock. It was very close to 'normal' pistes and therefore is closer to my 'natural' territory. Knowing whether this was a loss of control on a piste that lead to a journey into the rocks, or whether it was someone taking a reckless shortcut for 'a laugh' would be very enlightening.
ski holidays
I come here looking for an update MS's health and find helmets still discussing helmets.

So just so I'm clear? I should burn my lid because:

It partially blinds me even when I manage not put it on back to front.

It'll instantly turn me into a risk taking lunatic, putting myself and everyone in the Alps and in mortal danger.

Some scientists tested some cycle helmets in tests relevant to cycling and found that in some circumstances I'd be better off bouncing my bare head off of the tarmac.

Is that it? Well I'm glad I've got that cleared up.
snow report
Yep, spot on. snowHead
ski holidays
Snow Hound wrote:

Ha ha, no. You've forgotten the conspiracy between helmet manufacturers, insurers and ski resorts which will ultimately make it impossible to ski or snowboard without one of those death-lids. You're stuffed either way! snowHead
latest report
Snow Hound wrote:
I come here looking for an update MS's health and find helmets still discussing helmets.

It partially blinds me even when I manage not put it on back to front.

It'll instantly turn me into a risk taking lunatic, putting myself and everyone in the Alps and in mortal danger.

Some scientists tested some cycle helmets in tests relevant to cycling and found that in some circumstances I'd be better off bouncing my bare head off of the tarmac.

Is that it? Well I'm glad I've got that cleared up.

a funny post in a sad thread

Yes you should

you won't ever work out how to

of course it will, it will also turn you into Shaun White and Travis Rice combined (or the gay onesy skier equivalent)

Im sure you would, i just try to stop my back bottom hitting the tarmac or I wouldn't be able to speak for a week.

all clear...
snow report
dennisp wrote:
Snow Hound wrote:
I come here looking for an update MS's health

It's actually turned into an oddly funny thread with all the tut-tutting, empty prayers and overt agendas on either side of a daft premise. And to imagine that someone would really choose to garner information on a celebrity's health status via a thread on a chit-chat forum is just plain crackers. Madeye-Smiley Is google broken Puzzled
latest report
I don't think I've seen Torvil & Dean wearing helmets yet, but its obvious that ice skaters should wear helmets, with all that hard icy stuff around and steely blades sliding into your head.

I'd feel a bit of a cissy wearing a helmet going to learn to carve on ice.
But I'd feel much happier and confident in a helmet.

I dont know what this has got to do with Schumaker ... just hope he improves.
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
moffatross, I agree really. It's not a sad thread. It's a thread about some bad news , but it's not sad, he's alive and stable and that's a good thing. We all hope the improvement continues and MS is restored to full health as soon as possible. But whilst I feel sympathy for him and his family, I don't know him, never met him and probably never will, so I'm not exactly wearing black arm bands.

In the meantime, if someone posts something risible, whats wrong with responding?
snow report
DrLawn, From the bruises I remember from childhood ice skating I should have worn an arse helmet.
latest report
Schumacher has a piste named after him in Madonna di Campiglio after he fell there back in his Ferrari days (a very steep pitch at the end of he the toughest black in the resort) - that's where all the recently well used pics of him skiing a from.

I fell on it last year too, tis bloody steep. I didn't try it again but was planning to this year, think I might stick to staying on my feet after this, best not to tempt fate...
snow report
Just to get it back onto Mr Schumacher, what do you make of the Daily Mail's graphic explaining what they say happened:

According to his manager he wasn't going at any speed but, if the DM is correct (Ok, ok...), then I'd say he must have been.
snow report
moffatross wrote:
dennisp wrote:
Snow Hound wrote:
I come here looking for an update MS's health

It's actually turned into an oddly funny thread with all the tut-tutting, empty prayers and overt agendas on either side of a daft premise. And to imagine that someone would really choose to garner information on a celebrity's health status via a thread on a chit-chat forum is just plain crackers. Madeye-Smiley Is google broken Puzzled

I'd actually chosen to garner information about conditions in the resort to which I am travelling this coming Saturday. My good wife chose that very same moment to inquire as to whether I had any recent information on Michael Schumacher's condition. I mistakenly assumed that two clicks to this thread might allow me to satisfy my wife's curiosity and allow me to return forthwith to the weather thread.

I sincerely hope that the above explanation is satisfactory, if somewhat unnecessary.
ski holidays

Michael Schumacher's accident was on 29 December. This was issued on 30 December
cc_7up: "Will the insurance companies jump on the bandwagon..."

Bode Swiller: "Well, as far as I know only one insists on helmet wearing and it doesn't take them long to put out a Michael Schumacher press release: http://www.essentialtravel.co.uk/media/press-release/micheal-schumacher.asp "

"Hmmm."

akirk: "Lesson no 1 for PR releases - get the spelling right Wink (rooting not routing)"

If ever there was a press release that should never have been released - [the opening paragraphs are pasted right] - that was it. The brand starts the first sentence with its own name, to launch the promotion even before the trite message of sympathy for Michael Schumacher ... under a headline with a spelling error and absent apostrophe. This crass exploitation of a dreadful accident echoes the press releases and helmet promotions which immediately followed and 'cashed in' on the accident of actress Natasha Richardson in March 2009 ...

"Natasha Richardson ski advert banned"
http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/celebritynews/5312699/Natasha-Richardson-ski-advert-banned.html

"Increase in ski helmet wear after Richardson's death"
http://etravel.org/news/4931/

snow conditions
Comedy Goldsmith, We'll probably never know how many people have heeded your 'safety' advice only to gone on and suffer avoidable injury as a result.
ski holidays
I would lay money that more people skiing have died from trauma & bleeding of broken legs than Head injurys!

A few years ago I was involved in a rescue o f the Swedish skier who broke his leg was airlifted to Innsbruck but later died.

Helmets were introduced in the US because of the tree terrain they have in abundance. However, many skiers have died just by body slamming a tree.
snow conditions
PJSki, what a master of logic you are: yes, the dead can't speak.

Conversely, those who maybe insulated their brains from risk with a plastic exo-skull (bucket) and had a bad head injury as a possible result (the 'risk compensation' factor) probably won't be able to tell the tale either.

I spent much of yesterday at these locations where skaters congregated, where you'll note an absence of helmets near reinforced concrete. I'm not saying anything in particular, but maybe these teen and twenties skaters know something we don't ...

http://www.itv.com/news/london/2014-01-02/skateboarders-battle-to-save-south-bank-skate-park/

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-london-25576097

Monkeys don't wear helmets either when swinging around trees, but nature generally looks after their heads. Maybe naked apes should have more confidence in their environmental subconsciousness.
snow report
stanton, yet another wild assumption that can neither be proved or disproved. Do you work on Fleet Street by any chance?
ski holidays
Comedy Goldsmith wrote:
Monkeys don't wear helmets either when swinging around trees, but nature generally looks after their heads.

Christ on a bike, do you actually read what you type?

Monkeys don't use antibiotics, pain killers, surgery, splints, casts, stitches, houses, clothing, cooking, vehicles or even the internet, if you can believe that.

You'll be emulating them in those aspects as well, right?
ski holidays
It's a bite!
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy