Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Michael Schumacher "Gravely injured" in Meribel

Poster: A snowHead
so many snowheads showing their class as usual
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
According to Sabine Kehm a journalist tried to get into Schumacher's hospital room today disguised as a priest...
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Quote:

a journalist tried to get into Schumacher's hospital room today disguised as a priest...

Shocked Shocked

if anyone is interested in adding a bit of logic to a discussion about risk, this is a good start. http://www.statslab.cam.ac.uk/Dept/People/Spiegelhalter/davids.html
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
nozawaonsen wrote:
According to Sabine Kehm a journalist tried to get into Schumacher's hospital room today disguised as a priest...

Jesus Christ! Total parasites.
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Just on ITV news - apparently he wasn't going fast at all, in fact he was travelling slowly and hit a rock (possibly hidden) and was catapulted into the air, falling head first into another rock.

Last edited by Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do. on Tue 31-12-13 12:51; edited 1 time in total
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Thornyhill, philwig, and others I may have offended, my apologies. I was tired and grumpy when I posted and perhaps my post was poorly worded. I was simply trying to point out that sports that involve a risk of head injury generally require head protection. However I would never presume to tell anyone what they should or should not do. But, the implication of some previous posts was that it is in some way safer to ski without a helmet - that, I think, is denial.

To get back to the thread, I understand that MS improved slightly overnight, allowing the surgeons to intervene more positively. They are remaining non-committal on his future, but hopefully it augers well for his recovery.
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
If the pic is correct, I'm pretty sure that I've skied it. It's a stretch of 'central reservation' between pistes, hardly Le Grand Couloir. I can only imagine that Schummy flew onto it carrying piste speed and got out of shape. Confused
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Quote:

Dear Lord! Do they have absolutely no morals at all? (journalists I mean, not priests)
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
foxtrotzulu wrote:
Dear Lord! Do they have absolutely no morals at all? (journalists I mean, not priests)

Well there's an entirely new thread for arguing that oranges are apples and visa versa.
snow conditions
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Just caught up with this on french news. Surgeon at press conference was the one who fixed my hubby's broken neck . He is in good hands
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
nozawaonsen wrote:
According to Sabine Kehm a journalist tried to get into Schumacher's hospital room today disguised as a piste...

Fixed it for you.
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
jbob wrote:
Looking at that photo, the piste seems to split around the rocks! Can't see the exact signage but it looks easy to stray into them!

Sounds like some good news from the hospital.

The "split" between these 2 pistes is at the top of the Mirror photo, where the orange padding around the pole is.
S all that bit of mini moguls in the triangle above the rocky bit, is also "off the piste". So, apart from a skier being slightly out of control, you would already be off of the main piste before you got into the rocky bit

Personally, having skiid in quite a few places, I have found the 3vs piste marking and mapping to beone of the better ones.
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Well I for one find the news very sad.
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
foxtrotzulu wrote:
Quote:

Journo's would sell cooking pots to cannibals
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Only heard of this earlier today. I wish him the best of luck for a full recovery. In Montgenevre this week all lifts have big posters saying off piste is forbidden. The coverage looks fine if looking from the pistes or down from lifts but it obviously isn't, just a thin covering.
ski holidays
The Helmet cracked open!

Are they supposed to do that, presumably Schumi
would not of been wearing a cheap bit of head gear From Lidl?

Kind of makes you wonder if any of the helmets on
the market & been sold by the millions are actually up to the job.

I now have very serious doubts.
snow report
stanton, I have never thought of you as dim, but surely you realise that the helmet is supposed to disintegrate in order to absorb the energy that would otherwise damage the head inside. Just like the crumple zones in a car. This is why F1 cars disintegrate in a spectacular way. They dissipate the energy rather than transmit it to the fragile person inside. You remarks smack of ill-informed prejudice.

More seriously, I hear the news is a bit more promising. As one skier to another I wish him the best.

snowHead
snow report
stanton, my brother had a motorbike accident that severely damaged his helmet but left him with only a hairline fracture of the skull. If you dive head first onto a rock without a helmet you have little chance, with a helmet you have a small chance. The helmets from Lidl have passed the same safety tests as all the others - though I am sure you're right that Schumacher's would have been more expensive.
snow conditions
stanton, in your case I think it would have been the rock that came off worse. For the rest of us helmets absorb energy and hence tend to help in these situations.
ski holidays
stanton, either you're a wind-up merchant in which case its in bloody bad taste or you're ignorant and ill-informed. Probably both.

My brother also had himself saved from severe brain trauma by a helmet.

Go learn some Physics, it might just save your life.

(ps - the bits you need are collsion time and maximum force of impact, together with energy dissipation in collisions, much of which is on page 144/5 AQA Science Physics text - a course for 15yo's of medium ability. Given the evidence of your postings, you may find it a bit hard).

Let us hope for the best for MS - could have been any one of us.

Last edited by Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do. on Tue 31-12-13 23:13; edited 2 times in total
snow report
mozwold wrote:
Thornyhill, philwig, and others I may have offended, my apologies.

No need to apologise (to me at least). You didn't offend me. Maybe an apology about posting helmet bollox on a good wishes thread would be in order though. We have done a million helmet threads on here. There is never a consensus. Using an injured celeb to make a poorly justified point isn't really what a good wishes thread is all about. rolling eyes
snow conditions
stanton wrote:
The Helmet cracked open!

Are they supposed to do that, presumably Schumi
would not of been wearing a cheap bit of head gear From Lidl?

Kind of makes you wonder if any of the helmets on
the market & been sold by the millions are actually up to the job.

I now have very serious doubts.

They're protective, not indestructible. If they go, and your head doesn't, then job done. A mate of mine had a very hard MTB crash where his lid split like an egg, and he simply walked away seeing stars. If not for the hat, that was his skull.

Full disclosure: I personally don't wear a helmet when skiing or boarding.
ski holidays
austin7 wrote:
stanton, either you're a wind-up merchant in which case its in bloody bad taste or you're ignorant and ill-informed. Probably both.

My brother also had himself saved from severe brain trauma by a helmet.

Go learn some Physics, it might just save your life.

(ps - the bits you need are collsion time and maximum force of impact, together with energy dissipation in collisions, much of which is on page 144/5 AQA Science Physics text - a course for 15yo's of medium ability. Given the evidence of your postings, you may find it a bit hard).

Let us hope for the best for MS - could have been any one of us.

Seconded - looking at the photos of where he had his accident it could indeed have been any of us. Even those of us who don't do off piste occasionally cut across those bits between two pistes.
Mr S is obviously a pretty tough guy and has a better chance than most of pulling through, hope he does without any lasting damage.
latest report
/\ This! (Both of it)
snow report
Not a wind up. I am a retired Engineer thanks.

The Helmet did break according to German media.

I seriously doubt the reliability & testing of some of these products.

The English speaking press this mprning iis saying slight improvement.
The German media is saying "No Optimism".
snow report
stanton, Which German media are saying that? The ones I read are saying that he has improved, but that he is still critical.
snow report
stanton wrote:
Not a wind up. I am a retard thanks.

Fixed that for you.
latest report
stanton, after studying the remarks and responses of every snowhead on every thread on all of Snowheads you appear to be the weakest link Very Happy
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
The helmet will protect you from knocks but if you are travelling at 40 mph and stop dead your brain will crash at that speed into the skull causing brain trauma and no helmet can prevent that. You can't beat the laws of physics.
ski holidays
Steilhang wrote:
stanton, Which German media are saying that? The ones I read are saying that he has improved, but that he is still critical.

Agreed SDZ, Die Zeit and De Bild ("Sein Zustand ist weiterhin kritisch, wenn auch etwas stabiler als gestern") all pretty much say that which is also pretty much what the UK and indeed international media is saying. That's because it's pretty much what the doctor's said at their press conference yesterday, that there had been a limited improvement in the situation, but he was still critical and it is still too early to majpke any judgement. To suggest the German media and English speaking media are divided and somehow carrying a different message is misleading.

Sabine Kehm is just about to give a press conference.
latest report
stanton has his own style, but his message is essentially correct - skiers have good reason to view the value of helmets quite sceptically.

There is, on balance, no clear evidence that they have enhanced the safety of skiing by reducing the frequency of serious head injuries. Michael Schumacher has spent key risk sequences of his life with his skull and brain inside various helmets, and they may have subconciously influenced his judgement and appreciation of risk.
ski holidays
Kehm said that Schumacher's condition had remained stable overnight, and that she was not willing to comment on rumours about his health.
snow report
Lets not get into the rights and wrongs of helmets please, I hope we can all agree that a helmet reduces the the chance of a head injury being fatal and leave it at that
snow conditions
Comedy Goldsmith wrote:
stanton has his own style, but his message is essentially correct - skiers have good reason to view the value of helmets quite sceptically.

There is, on balance, no clear evidence that they have enhanced the safety of skiing by reducing the frequency of serious head injuries. Michael Schumacher has spent key risk sequences of his life with his skull and brain inside various helmets, and they may have subconciously [sic] influenced his judgement and appreciation of risk.

There's zero evidence that helmets encourage skiers to take more risks. Once again, all we get from you is anti-safety propaganda.
snow report
Useful input to the discussion by Kelley McMillan of the New York Times, yesterday:
Ski Helmet Use Isn’t Reducing Brain Injuries

http://www.nytimes.com/2014/01/01/sports/on-slopes-rise-in-helmet-use-but-no-decline-in-brain-injuries.html?pagewanted=all&_r=0
snow conditions
Might I just note prior to people reading this that I respect what has happened to Michael, and I hope he makes a full recovery as soon as possible. However, this needs to be said.

Comedy Goldsmith wrote:

They may have subconciously influenced his judgement and appreciation of risk.

This has been proven time and again to be WRONG. I cannot grasp why people keep spouting such ridiculous rubbish.

Quote:
There is, on balance, no clear evidence that they have enhanced the safety of skiing by reducing the frequency of serious head injuries.

Are you genuinely insane? Evidently they have reduced serious head injuries, by the simple expedient that the people who use them are wearing a f**king hard layer between them and the rest of the world.

Here's an example to clear things up for you. Put a helmet on, and bang your head against a wall. Still ok? Well gee whizz, who'd have thunk it?. Now do it without a helmet.

Assuming you're still conscious, you should now grasp the difference between wearing a helmet and not wearing a helmet. Was that simple enough for you?? rolling eyes

Now, if we could all get on with our lives that would be swell. My thoughts go out to his family and friends.

EDIT: Let's not beat around the bush. If Schumacher hadn't been wearing a helmet, he would be DEAD. End of story.

Last edited by You'll need to Register first of course. on Wed 1-01-14 11:02; edited 1 time in total
latest report
isn't all this better on a helmet thread?
ski holidays
rasmanisar wrote:
End of story.
Laughing
Best wishes to Michael by the way.
ski holidays
emwmarine wrote:

Hence my disclaimer at the beginning of my post. I'd much rather discuss it with a less serious backstory lighting the way.
latest report
emwmarine wrote:

+1
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy