Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Michael Schumacher "Gravely injured" in Meribel

 Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
Quote:
It was 33% skier mis-decision, 33% camera mis-design, and 33% resort mis-protection.

and 1% what?
ski holidays     
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Quote:

and 33% resort mis-protection.

Can you imagine the resorts fencing off or padding every rock and tree? X% bad judgement Y% horrible luck, his and his family's predicament sends shivers down my spine.
latest report     
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
@tangowaggon, They should write "rock" on each rock, "pylon" on each pylon, "tree" on each tree - that would really help us understand which hard object we were slamming into. Resorts are always being blamed for pilot error and that's one reason why lift passes cost what they do.
snow report     
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
Pruman wrote:
Quote:
It was 33% skier mis-decision, 33% camera mis-design, and 33% resort mis-protection.

and 1% what?


Act of God.
snow report     
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Quote:

It was 33% skier mis-decision, 33% camera mis-design, and 33% resort mis-protection.

I'd say 40% skier error, 60% bad luck. Of course, without the skier error the bad luck wouldn't have mattered.
I see no reason to blame the camera or the resort whatsoever. It was clearly off-piste. In Europe if you ski off-piste rocks are not the resort's responsibility. At all. If we were to start making them the resorts responsibility we'd have to ban a lot of off piste. No thanks.
snow conditions     
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
It's 100% pilot error.
latest report     
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Pruman wrote:
It's 100% pilot error.


Yep, just like Shoreham.
snow report     
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
This is perhaps the world's most pointless and slightly distasteful pissing match.

I'd challenge anyone who has progressed off the bunny slope to say they've never hit anything they didn't know was there whether it be an ice chunk, a step up/down where the the groomers didn't quite do a smooth enough job, rock, stump, void, depression.
snow report     
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
@Dave of the Marmottes, absolutely, I'm sure most of us have had mishaps of that nature but I'd be mad at myself if it was something I should have thought about first. Not blame the resort, my hat, my long johns etc.
latest report     
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
@Dave of the Marmottes,
Quote:

This is perhaps the world's most pointless and slightly distasteful pissing match.
+1


Quote:

I'd challenge anyone who has progressed off the bunny slope to say they've never hit anything they didn't know was there
Absolutely. But, in this case, I thought the obstacles were actually visible. Confused Please correct me if I'm wrong, I haven't followed all the detail, but I do remember seeing pictures of the accident site immediately after the accident and wondering why he took a route that looked so uninviting, when there were snowier options immediately adjacent.
snow report     
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Perhaps he wasn't quite paying attention? Perhaps he wasn't really sure which of those two pistes to take? Maybe he didn't "choose" that route, just kind of ended up there having lost his balance a bit?
Quote:

This is perhaps the world's most pointless and slightly distasteful pissing match.

Yep.
latest report     
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
@pam w, as I understood it he was trying to cross from one piste to the other because his son was on the other side of the fork. That may be wrong, but it's what I heard as the reason why the skied into that area.
Under those circumstances I probably would have done exactly the same thing, and possibly would have ended up having the same accident. Shit does happen. Like others above I find this particular pissing match to be pointless and distasteful.
ski holidays     
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
pam w wrote:
Perhaps he wasn't quite paying attention? Perhaps he wasn't really sure which of those two pistes to take? Maybe he didn't "choose" that route, just kind of ended up there having lost his balance a bit?
Quote:

This is perhaps the world's most pointless and slightly distasteful pissing match.

Yep.


Don't wet yourself over it:


http://youtube.com/v/e8u9TTd30EY
latest report     
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Dave of the Marmottes wrote:
This is perhaps the world's most pointless and slightly distasteful pissing match.

I'd challenge anyone who has progressed off the bunny slope to say they've never hit anything they didn't know was there whether it be an ice chunk, a step up/down where the the groomers didn't quite do a smooth enough job, rock, stump, void, depression.


Too many here acting all wise after the event.
snow conditions     
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Steilhang wrote:
@pam w, as I understood it he was trying to cross from one piste to the other because his son was on the other side of the fork. That may be wrong, but it's what I heard as the reason why the skied into that area.
Under those circumstances I probably would have done exactly the same thing, and possibly would have ended up having the same accident. Shit does happen. Like others above I find this particular pissing match to be pointless and distasteful.


Everyone finds it "pointless and distasteful" yet pisses in their own opinions Puzzled .

If my son was in the rocks and lying there injured of course I would go in there to see him. However, Mr S appears to have done it at speed rather than pull up level on the piste and just walk/traverse in. Pilot error.
ski holidays     
 Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
Pruman wrote:
Steilhang wrote:
@pam w, as I understood it he was trying to cross from one piste to the other because his son was on the other side of the fork. That may be wrong, but it's what I heard as the reason why the skied into that area.
Under those circumstances I probably would have done exactly the same thing, and possibly would have ended up having the same accident. Shit does happen. Like others above I find this particular pissing match to be pointless and distasteful.


Everyone finds it "pointless and distasteful" yet pisses in their own opinions Puzzled .


Yeah, odd isn't it. There's always a bunch of pathetic whiners who fall over themselves whilst trying to be the most offended.
ski holidays     
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Yeah, odd isn't it. There's always a bunch of pathetic tossers who fallout with everyone whilst trying to be the most offensive.
ski holidays     
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
@Pruman,
Quote:
If my son was in the rocks and lying there injured of course I would go in there to see him. However, Mr S appears to have done it at speed rather than pull up level on the piste and just walk/traverse in. Pilot error.
Without wanting to go digging around the internet again I think the French accident investigators came to the conclusion that he was not skiing excessively fast. I also seem to remember them exonerating GoPro of any fault (but my memory may be failing me there). Like I mentioned above, shit happens. On that day it was Schumachers turn. Not much more to be said really.
latest report     
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
@blahblahblah, yep! So many idiots, so little time to tell them where to stuff it.
snow report     
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
blahblahblah wrote:
Yeah, odd isn't it. There's always a bunch of pathetic tossers who fallout with everyone whilst trying to be the most offensive.


Yeah, odd isn't it. There's always a bunch of brown nosers who flock to the side with the most people on.
snow conditions     
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
@Steilhang, maybe not sking "excessively fast" but fast enough to achieve this:

latest report     
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
@Pruman, an the total distance travelled was?
latest report     
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Gerry wrote:
blahblahblah wrote:
Yeah, odd isn't it. There's always a bunch of pathetic tossers who fallout with everyone whilst trying to be the most offensive.


Yeah, odd isn't it. There's always a bunch of brown nosers who flock to the side with the most people on.


I guess you are often the minority, ever wondered why? Probably not.
ski holidays     
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Gerry wrote:
@Pruman, an the total distance travelled was?


Yeah odd isn't it, there's always someone who wants actual facts.

I don't know but assume the person on the left is 5' 9"
latest report     
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
Pruman wrote:
Gerry wrote:
@Pruman, an the total distance travelled was?


Yeah odd isn't it, there's always someone who wants actual facts.

I don't know but assume the person on the left is 5' 9"


Won't help at all knowing that because we have no idea what kind of lens was used.
ski holidays     
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
@Gerry, I didn't say it would help I just observed that orange person might be 5' 9". However, if you can identify the same rocks from this longer shot you might get an approximation, if it helps you:

latest report     
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Pruman wrote:
@Gerry, I didn't say it would help I just observed that orange person might be 5' 9". However, if you can identify the same rocks from this longer shot you might get an approximation, if it helps you:


Not looking for help. You're the one making assertions of high speed based on what looks like a graphic overlay put there by some media source.
snow report     
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
@Gerry, I didn't say high speed I said "fast enough".
snow report     
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
@Pruman @Gerry It's also difficult to tell what is meant by "Hits" and "Strikes" in the above picture, especially as the words were written by someone who most likely did not see the incident. It could be that he jumped off/hit the first rock but stayed on his skis for a while whilst out of control, in which case a lot of speed isn't needed to go that far. Alternatively, if the first rock knocked him over the speed needed to travel that distance is higher.
snow report     
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
SFR_ wrote:
@Pruman @Gerry It's also difficult to tell what is meant by "Hits" and "Strikes" in the above picture, especially as the words were written by someone who most likely did not see the incident. It could be that he jumped off/hit the first rock but stayed on his skis for a while whilst out of control, in which case a lot of speed isn't needed to go that far. Alternatively, if the first rock knocked him over the speed needed to travel that distance is higher.


+1 Just looks like some sort of BS media interpretation of what actually happened and we know the media never ever exaggerate stuff like this do they? We basically have no idea how fast he was going from that picture.
He took a risk and unfortunately paid the ultimate price. You can see tracks of others who took the same risk (you probably see tracks through there every single day) and skied on without a second thought. On another day I'm sure he would have lived to tell the tale too. But as someone else said Sh*t happens.
latest report     
 Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
tangowaggon wrote:
Quote:

and 33% resort mis-protection.

Can you imagine the resorts fencing off or padding every rock and tree? X% bad judgement Y% horrible luck, his and his family's predicament sends shivers down my spine.



It was a big rockfield partly hidden under a large crest in the middle of a busy fast trail full of cr*p skiers in a rush to get down the hill.

The resort should have stuck some V-shaped barriers around it and funnelled their customers away from the risky rocks.

They screwed up.

Add in the camera with a metal prong on it -- an inch from the brain.

And an average skier hanging out in a rockfield.

It's a catalog of errors.
latest report     
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Whitegold wrote:
tangowaggon wrote:
Quote:

and 33% resort mis-protection.

Can you imagine the resorts fencing off or padding every rock and tree? X% bad judgement Y% horrible luck, his and his family's predicament sends shivers down my spine.



It was a big rockfield partly hidden under a large crest in the middle of a busy fast trail full of cr*p skiers in a rush to get down the hill.

The resort should have stuck some V-shaped barriers around it and funnelled their customers away from the risky rocks.

They screwed up.



Rubbish.
snow report     
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
I love the way people are resigned to "poo-poo happening" like its just a matter of time before they join the statistics. "poo-poo happens" applies to things you have no control over like an illness or someone else's recklessness or a natural disaster. You're in control of where you ski so poo-poo doesn't just "happen" does it?
snow report     
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
Whitegold wrote:
tangowaggon wrote:
Quote:

and 33% resort mis-protection.

Can you imagine the resorts fencing off or padding every rock and tree? X% bad judgement Y% horrible luck, his and his family's predicament sends shivers down my spine.



It was a big rockfield partly hidden under a large crest in the middle of a busy fast trail full of cr*p skiers in a rush to get down the hill.

The resort should have stuck some V-shaped barriers around it and funnelled their customers away from the risky rocks.

They screwed up.

Add in the camera with a metal prong on it -- an inch from the brain.

And an average skier hanging out in a rockfield.

It's a catalog of errors.


You be telling us that all chairlifts need a 5 point safety harness next. Oh that and every piste should have a sign saying 'caution snow is slippy and this piste goes downhill user caution is advised'

Womble of the male chicken variety.
snow report     
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
I cannot really offer any expert opinion, only to say that I had a crash where I went airborne and hit the ground helmet first. The camera mount was completely ripped off - luckily it was a standard Garmin plastic mount. Don't know if rumours of the metal mount was true, but this thread surely echoed though my mind after getting up to collect the bits and pieces off the slope.


(P.S. speed & flat light don't mix well)
snow report     
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
Medical staff say Michael Schumacher is "conscious" after undergoing stem-cell treatment in Paris, according to a French newspaper.

https://www.mirror.co.uk/sport/formula-1/michael-schumacher-conscious-after-undergoing-20007185

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/2019/09/11/michael-schumacher-conscious-pioneering-treatment-paris-says/
ski holidays     
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Just a reminder to Everyone.

Schumacher was wearing a Helmet at the time of the accident
snow report     
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
doooplicate


Last edited by After all it is free Go on u know u want to! on Wed 11-09-19 18:44; edited 1 time in total
ski holidays     
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
stanton wrote:
Just a reminder to Everyone.

I am a Helmet all the time


FIFY Toofy Grin
ski holidays     
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
stanton wrote:
Just a reminder to Everyone.

Schumacher was wearing a Helmet at the time of the accident


So was your mum.
latest report     



Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy