Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Lufthansa ski carriage update

Poster: A snowHead
Evening All,
Just looking for an update/confirmation on the Lufthansa ski carriage rules as the website seems to be saying things a bit different to posts on here. Is it now the case (absolutely rock solid) for flights booked since July 2013 that you can carry 1 hold bag + 1 ski bag but the combined weight of both must be within the 23kg limit providing you have notified Lufthansa in advance that you wish to take your ski bag ? Also does anyone know if it is okay generally to carry bindings in your cabin baggage.
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
briand6868, I've got two trips booked with Lufthansa for this season. Luggage up to 23kg PLUS ski carriage is included but you have to book ahead for your ski carriage. Surely your bindings are attached to your skis?
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
queen bodecia, Evening ma'am Smile So it's a 23kg bag of gear + 1 ski bag with skis,poles,boots n helmet - that's brilliant ! I ask about the bindings because if the luggage is 23kg for all checked in baggage then I'll take the bindings off and put them in my carry on with my boots Very Happy
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
briand6868, skis are separate to the 23kg luggage allowance so leave the bindings where they are. I put my poles in with my skis, but I put the boots and helmet in my hold bag. I don't think it matters how you do it though as long as you pre-book your ski carriage.
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
queen bodecia, Great stuff - at long last I've seen on their site what you mean, in the general conditions they say 23kg + 1 ski bag on European routes - good to go roll on 24 Jan Smile
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Worth printing off and taking details from Lufthansa’s baggage guides www.lufthansa.com/mediapool/pdf/31/media_1560993731.pdf

The Heathrow checkin girl didn't believe us, called over a supervisor who didn't believe us, then called LH themselves, who confirmed we were correct.

Mentioned this to LH checkin in MUC on the way back & they were 100% with us on this, so London not to be trusted Confused

(This the is from the “excess & special baggage” then “Sport baggage and charges (PDF)” from the bottom of the standard baggage regulations page )
Quote:

21 Ski Equipment* ... ... a pair of ski, a pair of poles, a pair of boots (even if in separate bag), a helmet

* The first piece of checked ski or snowboarding equipment is included in the free baggage allowance regulations on all flights except those to/from the USA, Canada, Mexico and Central America (Belize, Costa Rica, El Salvador, Guatemala, Honduras, Nicaragua, Panama) and is therefore free of charge.

The maximum weight of the first piece of ski or snowboarding equipment must, however, be within the relevant free baggage limits of the respective booking class.

Each further piece of ski or snowboarding equipment or the first and subsequent pieces of ski or snowboarding equipment on flights to/from the USA, Canada, Mexico and Central America (Belize, Costa Rica, El Salvador, Guatemala, Honduras, Nicaragua, Panama) is charged in line with the fees specified above.
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
geoffers, Good idea, will do, just in case there's any early morning funny biz at 4am in Dublin Airport Very Happy
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
We have 2 LH flights booked too ( from BHX ) and am assuming that we are covered for skis/boards within our allowance.
We'll see how it goes but it can't be as bad as Ryanair.....I have just got a return flight to Salzburg for £92,but then............£100 to take my skis !!
O'Leary is a real one........!
snow conditions
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
immer schuss, you just need to contact Lufthansa and pre-book your ski carriage.
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Lufthansa have generally been excellent over baggage in the past - we always try to book with them as they are one of the remaining free ski-bag carriers, plus you still get complimentary drinks & snack. However, just to throw in another element of confusion to the Lufthansa website baggage debate :

If you're a Lufthansa "Miles & More" card holder their terms state that in addition to the free baggage allowance, they claim to allow
Quote:
Ski bag - One additional piece of ski kit may be carried free of charge (11)
, but this hadn't got through to the LHR staff
latest report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
If flying Lufthansa with one ski bag and no other hold baggage, is it still necessary to pre-book?
snow conditions
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
hd, yes. Many of their short haul aircraft are small Embraer planes with limited space for skis.
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
geoffers ( and anyone else who may know)

So just to clarify; similar to BA in that I can use my snowboard bag & fill it to 23kg & this is my free allowance?
Is there not a problem with the dimension being in excess of 158 cm?
Whats the weight limit for cabin bag?

Thanks in advance

Mitch
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
queen bodecia,
I will call them now, to make sure....
I believe some carriers have issues with ski / board bags over 156cm too.
Its such a grey, annoying area, they offer 'Routes to the snow ' etc and then double your flight cost with baggage........!
What about overall weight per passenger and luggage rates ?
Good way to diet.
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
might be embraers (or at least smaller planes) on the BHX-FRA route, but that's not so useful for ski trips anyway, not sure about BHX-MUC. Flybe is the airline with the real small plane and ski carriage compatibility issue.
with LH you just phone the hotline and tell them you're taking skis.
and it's 23kg plus a ski package, where a ski package is ski/board bag plus boot bag plus helmet bag.

There *may* be an issue if one or more segments is a LH flight code but operated by Austrian Airlines?
ski holidays
andy, BHX-MUC is an Embraer 190/195, pretty sure MAN-MUC is too.
latest report
Hi all

Could I just confiorm my understanding.

reading this it looks like I can check a bag into the hold and also book in ski equipment (which can be boot bag plus ski bag) as part of my FBA. Does this mean that I have the ski equipment plus a 23kg bag or does everything together have to come to the 23kg?

thanks
ski holidays
nick0861, you can have both, plus separate bags for skis and boots if you wish (although I put my boots in my hold bag, I can't carry skis and 3 bags simultaneously!)
latest report
23kg luggage plus ski bag plus boot bag plus helmet bag, and the skis/boots/helmet don't count towards the 23kg (but you're supposed to call the hotline to tell them you want to bring skis)
latest report
Yup,
We brought 4 big hold bags (~19 kg each); two ski bags each with 2.5 pairs of skis and 2 pairs of ski poles; one rucksack stuffed with ski boots back from NUE to MAN with no problems at the weekend. (4 people)

We didn't pre book them( but probably should have .)

God bless Lufthansa
snow report
I'm sure this bubble will burst eventually. Especially since Lufthansa flights seem to be cheaper than the equivalent Sleasyjet/Learyair offerings...
ski holidays
yeah it's pretty awesome. we have paid 99 quid for the flight which given the drinks, per booked seats, ski carriage and Germanic efficiency is a great deal

thanks for the replies all
ski holidays
fyi i have also had this now confirmed to me unequivocally by lufhthansa via twitter!

@lufthansa: @nickmsylv As previously said, one piece max. 23kg PLUS one ski equipment (ski+boots+poles+helmet) are free of charge. /Nes
ski holidays
You can take ski bag PLUS a boot bag without charge, done it loads of times.
snow report
Markymark29,
And they're ok if bag is longer than 158cm?
snow conditions
Mine are longer than 180cm, so yes.
Think it's only Monarch or Flybe that limit so low.
ski holidays
Mitchell wrote:
Markymark29,
And they're ok if bag is longer than 158cm?

Look at this thread http://snowheads.com/ski-forum/viewtopic.php?t=91181 for background information on the 158cm restriction confusion (see post dated 25 Oct 2012 and subsequent discussion) - bottom line is that this does not apply to ski carriage so normal length skis are fine. Madeye-Smiley
snow report
Agreed ok. Mine are 191s
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Just a quick question. I've booked to fly to Munich in Feb and want to prebook a couple of skis on the flight. How do I actually do that... Embarassed

Do I just email my request to them or is it buried somewhere in my account?

Thanks
snow report
Amp34, you phone them

Welcome to snowHeads
snow report
Ah! Excellent, thanks.
ski holidays
I just got round to ringing them to make the reservations. The woman on the phone said the free ski carriage only covers skis, not boards! I ski so had no problem but my GF boards and apparently it's E50 each way. Any other boarders had found this out?
snow report
We flew Austrian + Lufthansa just after Christmas. We could take skibags + ski boot bags in addition to a normal luggage bag as long as everything was within 23kg per person.

However, they were very strict on carry-on - only 8kg per person - and it did get checked at security. (We just put out ski jackets on and stuffed them with some pf the heavier stuff to get around it).
snow report
We got back from Italy last Sunday. Lufthansa Venice to Birmingham via Munich. Skis booked in advance, told they were free. No charge on the outward journey from Birmingham. However we were not given boarding cards in Venice on our return until we paid €60 each for ski carriage. Complained via Lufthansa feedback site and have just been told we won't be reimbursed - skis included in the single 23k limit. No-one on the flight from Munich to Birmingham was charged. Emailed back to Lufthansa but don't hold out much hope. Be warned!!
snow conditions
Chanticleer wrote:
We got back from Italy last Sunday. Lufthansa Venice to Birmingham via Munich. Skis booked in advance, told they were free. No charge on the outward journey from Birmingham. However we were not given boarding cards in Venice on our return until we paid €60 each for ski carriage. Complained via Lufthansa feedback site and have just been told we won't be reimbursed - skis included in the single 23k limit. No-one on the flight from Munich to Birmingham was charged. Emailed back to Lufthansa but don't hold out much hope. Be warned!!

Did you take the email confirming the booking with you to the airport?
ski holidays
Yes but it doesn't have any reference to skis - you have to phone up to book them and so have no written reference to what was said.
latest report
Chanticleer, Lufthansa website suggests (for LH itself) that skis can be in separate bag but must be within 23kg limit.
snow report
Chanticleer wrote:
Yes but it doesn't have any reference to skis - you have to phone up to book them and so have no written reference to what was said.

I did not phone. I actually used the online form which meant they had to reply by email.
snow report
Hi All, I travelled Dublin/Frankfurt/Geneva return last week with Lufthansa - 22.6 kg in my hold bag and 22.1kg in my ski bag which contained 2 sets of skis, service equipment, poles, race protection etc. I had called Lufthansa when I booked the flight and confirmed RETURN SKI CARRIAGE FOR ALL FLIGHT SECTORS. I then checked my booking again and " request confirmed" was on it. When I travelled I took all these printouts and also a copy of the Lufty rules re baggage. Absolutely no problems and without doubt the best airline I have used in a long time. On my return Journey I was at GVA a little early and asked if I could take an earlier flight to Frankfurt and was accomodated no problem and without charge. Free food and drinks throughout and a nice photo of the Lufthansa Airbus a380 up close in Frankfurt Very Happy
ski holidays
No problems here. Pre-booked my ski carriage, hold bag was 18.6kg and ski bag 8.9kg outbound. Flying back on Sunday same route MUC to BHX.
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy