Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Mayrhofen in Jan

Poster: A snowHead
Hi all,

I'm off to Mayrhofen for the first time in the last week of Jan. Getting very excited now! Does anyone know if there's a good blog for the resort or other resource that's regularly updated that I can keep an eye on? I'm checking snow reports etc but it'd be great to know what conditions are like from people actually on the piste. Even better if there's some good pics!

Cheers,
Dean
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
I'm going too on 11th Jan so ill be watching this thread closely too.

Snow report says 60cm on the mountain, nothing in resort. Will be 79cm by 2nd Jan. all lifts open and looks good on webcams.

Have a look at Mayrhofen.at
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Cheers pal. Yeah I've been on that site, it's good. When I've been in the past to resorts like Sauze and Alpe duez I've managed to find interesting blogs and stuff but no luck so far with Mayr!
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Yeah, I've been looking around myself but not much info out there on Mayrhofen
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Hi we just arrived in Mayrhofen tonight. A bit nervous about the lack of snow but hoping a local tip to go up the valley &get high pays off.our bigger problem is lack of basic foods as the supermarkets are shut until tomorrow afternoon.breakfast is looking tricky!! Off to a local bar for a quick drink and check out the local knowledge
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
If you can report back on the snow etc... That would be great. Any other info greatly appreciated too
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
CAMSMITH wrote:
Hi we just arrived in Mayrhofen tonight. A bit nervous about the lack of snow but hoping a local tip to go up the valley &get high pays off.our bigger problem is lack of basic foods as the supermarkets are shut until tomorrow afternoon.breakfast is looking tricky!! Off to a local bar for a quick drink and check out the local knowledge

Pretty sure there will be a cafe open for breakfast in the morning. Just walk down the main street and keep your eyes peeled.
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
CAMSMITH, Go to Gasser by the Penken lift. Big meat rolls for about 2.5 euro.
snow conditions
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Made do with cheese scones and left over from the journey but thanks for the tip.
So...the snow
Nothing in the village which was an odd experience for us after ski to door with all our previous trips to France. A ski bus & a long trudge through the penkenbahn queue we finally hit the snow. And its excellent. Deep & soft the only drawback being the poor visibility but you can't complain when it's snowing.Still working out the best routes. Found it a bit mogul filled after a short while but expect the bashers to get out tonight.the jury is out with us at the moment whether we prefer the ski to door & wide open spaces of Porte de Soliel which we're used to or this "foriegn" experience. Austria is definitely cheaper than France but you have to make more of an effort to get to the slopes and back to the apartment again - will that mean we value it more?
Dlevans22 - no pics yet but there's a real buzz at the bars by the gondolas if that's what you're looking for & don't be put off by no snow down low there is plenty up top
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Good to hear the snow is good. Can't wait to get there now myself
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
We are looking at booking Mayrhofen. We've noticed that the town altitude is only 630m compared the the highest peak which is 3250m, when other resorts the town altitude is closer to 1500-2000m. Probably explains the lack of snow in Mayrhofen compared to other resorts?

Out of interest are there any recommendations for accomodation? We've found seven hotels that range from £450 to £550 that seem very similar.

Thanks
latest report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
The lack of ski in ski out in mayrhofen is made up for IMHO by the zillerbahn going up & down the valley allowing you to go to other resorts for the day all coverd on the same lift pass. Hochfugen, gerlos, kaltenbach, Zella am ziller & hintertux glacier (free bus) are all worth a day out. Yes it means you need to get on a free train or bus from mayrhofen to get to them, but it's worth the effort as it gives you a vast amount terrain. When we go to mayrhofen we tend to ski 2 days at mayehofen then 1 day at each other. Bit of effort....yes. But worth it as you end up visiting different places (huts/ski areas) and stops you getting bored skiing the same resort for 6 days. Give me the Ziller valley with out its ski in & out any day over the big French ski in ski out resorts.

You just have to get up a bit earlier to get the best out of valley, compared to the ski in Ski out resorts.

Can you tell I'm a fan of mayrhofen & the Ziller valley. Don't be scared to explore the valley the zillerbahn train & buses are very easy to use and allow you to get a full day in the other resorts and get back to mayrhofen at the end of the day. The time tables for train & buses are easily found around the resort & hotels.
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Thanks depthjunkie, but do you think it will still suit our mixed ability group?
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Forgot to say, having the train & other resorts available has also come in handy
Once when all the lifts at mayrhofen were closed due to high winds as also was zell am ziller (the next resort down from mayrhofen) we jumped on the train to go to kaltenbach & fugen further down the valley and more sheltered where 90% of the lifts were running. We had a great day, over dinner back at the hotel in mayrhofen we found most people had not been out skiing all day as by the the time the wind had died down & the penken was back open the day had gone (after 3pm).

as we were planning to ski mayrhofen that day so we had to divert plans and jump on the train and it took about 30-40mins on the train to get there. but by 10:30am I was putting on my ski boots and getting on the uplift, beats walking back to the hotel and not skiing.
snow conditions
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Thanks guys, really appreciate all the help and advice.
Camsmith - sounds like you're having a great time. Enjoy! Glad to hear the snow up top is in good shape. It'll be quite a nice change not to have a resort centre full of snow and ice and ending up on my back bottom time and time again!

Has anyone used Luggis for ski hire? Looking at prebooking mine and they come out cheapest.
ski holidays
Luggis was fine for us.we hired boots & skis - mine have seen better days but I'm a "relaxed" skier not desperate to sling myself down every mountain. My sons boots were both pretty new & skis likewise ok.
snow report
Have a look at www.rentforfun.eu . It is the sport 2000 shop opposite the penkenbahn. All of the skis are new every year and start at 50 euro for 6 days. That's where I take my friends that need to hire stuff as the price is good and the skis are pretty much brand new.
latest report
Any update on the snow? I'm reading reports of compacted snow. Is it getting icy? 2cm forecast before I go on the 11th.

A bit worried. Hope there is some more snowfall
snow report
I was taking to a mate who is out there just now, he said they got some much needed snow this morning.
snow report
Be aware that if you go for the super cheap deal in the sport 2000, they will refuse to do any servicing on the kit, even if the edges are not sharp enough.

A few years ago I prebooked two set of skis for my kids at Luggis, and was disappointed with the quality of the kit, I wouldn't go back.

In the end you get what you pay for.
snow conditions
Dlevans22 wrote:

Has anyone used Luggis for ski hire? Looking at prebooking mine and they come out cheapest.

Yes and couldn't recommend them highly enough. The guy who owns and runs the place is incredibly helpful and extremely pleasant. His local knowledge is also very handy.

Appreciate that this is contrary to one poster, but there are many Mayrhofen frequenters on sH who also recommend Luggis.
ski holidays
George 3G wrote:

Out of interest are there any recommendations for accomodation? We've found seven hotels that range from £450 to £550 that seem very similar.

Thanks

i stayed in the eder last year . best ski acc i`ve ever had .

http://www.eder-mayrhofen.at/index.php?lang=en
snow report
I am booked into the Hotel Elizabetyh in a couple of weeks with the wife. Anyone stayed there and can let me know what it is like? Very Happy
snow conditions
tim000 wrote:
George 3G wrote:

Thanks

i stayed in the eder last year . best ski acc i`ve ever had .

http://www.eder-mayrhofen.at/index.php?lang=en

Great news! I'm booked in the Eder for next week. Any tips for me?
latest report
not far to walk to the lift . we used the ski garage at intersport opposite the penken. breakfast are good with a great coffee machine to use ($1 after breakfast)
markus and christina are a bit crazy Shocked but in a good way. if i was going back to mayrhofen i would be staying in the eder.
snow conditions
On train back from the Hoff, snow pretty compacted yesterday, really need some new snow. Conditions best on the upper slopes Smile
latest report
Ghost Dog wrote:
On train back from the Hoff, snow pretty compacted yesterday, really need some new snow. Conditions best on the upper slopes Smile

Did you go up tp tux, still half thinking obout Solden.
snow conditions
No, did a day in Gerlos, was good. TBH, on piste conditions were fine, but snow really is needed. Run down from Schneekar was showing the odd bit of grass and Panorama was apparently nasty on Friday pm, I skipped it as my knees had had enough. Kids flew down it, Debbie and Ali hated the ice and the moguls and the beginners lying in mounds.

You should come, it snowed today and more importantly there will be beer.
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Just back from Mayrhofen this weekend!!! Snow was good for the week especially on the higher slopes....... quite icy on lower.... especially the run back to the valley from the Ahorn!!

However, skiing conditions are very good!!

We had a couple of good dumps of snow during the week! Unsure what the forecast is going forward!
ski holidays
I remember a dump on Sunday (29th) don't remember anything else, other than a tiny amount of snow on Thursday?
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy