Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Cost constrained good skiing?

Poster: A snowHead
Hi Guys

I'm trying to organise a group trip for intermediates and upwards skiers / boarders. A couple of the group are cost constrained and I'm starting to get a bit stuck in context we are probably looking for around £800 all in with some ood skiing.

I'm interested in what other people with cost constraints have done, we've done Bulgaria so something different would be really welcome.

Is it possible?
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Levi215, when?

- Italy

- low season (mid-Jan, April)

- somewhere where it's easy to get cheap transfers

- self cater in a small apartment - sandwiches on the mountain - beer in the apartment

- book flights as soon as they are released

When I travelled to ski I used to work on a rule of thumb that a days skiing cost £100.
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
You won't believe me but two years ago I organised a DIY trip to Chamonix, catered chalet, for around that. Stayed in Chalet Christol with Mountain Highs, first wk of March. Flights £100, chalet and transfer £370 (including unlimited drinks and full chalet experience), lift pass £220, ski hire £80 or so. Really reasonable price for a great resort.
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Early march avoiding the holidays ideally
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Quote:

Early march avoiding the holidays ideally

In France you need to go in the latter half of March - schools hols for the first two weeks. It can definitely be done. If your group is economical to fit into hired cars that can work out the cheapest for transfers. Or go somewhere near to the airport - e.g. Flaine/Grand Massif, from Geneva. Eating and drinking out is what really pushes up costs, even in cheaper resorts.

If the group is a fairly young one, have a look at UCPA holidays through Action Outdoors. Fully inclusive, good food, cheap prices.
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
Is the 800 to include lessons and hire? Do you have preferred travel dates?

As mentioned Italy would be a good option - Andorra would be another

For Italy try La Thuille or Passo Tonale but there are many other options
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
UCPA?
snow conditions
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Not fussed about lessons we are all comfortable on reds and some blacks. I take it upca is a tutored group type operation?
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
follow pam ws, advice. Mid Feb to mid March is to be avoided if France is chosen.

Personally, judging by the cost constraints I would say fly to geneva mid Jan, book a self catered appt or chalet out of resort and car hire or transfer and use the bus, or book in a small resort such as St Jean D'Aulps/Abondance etc and get a transfer, and then use the bus to the larger ski area once bored.

I believe as others have said, Italy is a cheaper option once you are there.
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
Hi Levi215,

Are you constrained to March or do you have any flexibility? We've got spaces, fully catered chalet, complimentary bar included etc etc for £299 per person but only in Jan not in March - details are via the link below. PM me if you think that might suit?

Happy planning!
Heather
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Pretty easy to fit that budget around here (Ski Amadé, Austria).

Fly in to Salzburg for a 45min transfer to most places within Ski Amadé.

We offer catered chalet type of stay from €340 per person based on 2 sharing... transfers are around €45 per person, passes are about €230, rental about €100
So €715 (about £600) leaving £200 for flights.
latest report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Levi215, early March, by definition, is not avoiding the holidays.

So that pretty much rules France out then.
latest report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Even traveling solo, I usually manage less than that, traveling to Austria (even the big resorts such as Ski Welt) in January or March.
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
under a new name wrote:
Levi215, early March, by definition, is not avoiding the holidays.

So that pretty much rules France out then.

Early march is the ask, trying to avoid uk half term / Easter but really we are totally flexible.
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
I would think 800 is easily do-able if you go self catering outside school holidays.
latest report
Remain a bit flexible and book late? You should bet flights/accom/transfer for under £400 leaving £200 for a pass, £100 for ski/boot hire and £100 for a few drinks to celebrate getting a good deal.

Look on the internet? First try was Igluski, if you set £500 as limit for accom, flight & Transfer for mid Jan there's pages of offers from about £170 up to your limit. Marhofen, Val D'Isere, Sestriere,Courchevel, Zermat Les Deux Alpes, Alpe D'huez. Various options, from self catered, B&B, catered chalets etc.

(I'm not pimping that site, just the first one that sprang to mind).

Last edited by Poster: A snowHead on Sat 28-12-13 23:48; edited 1 time in total
snow report
Levi215, but early March is French school holidays, a world of pain worse than any UK effort...
snow report
Levi215, flights from Stansted to Salzburg are £89 return from 9th March - 16th
snow report
I've had plenty of sub-£800 skiing holidays before (assuming you mean without spending money). I've done it both with a TO (Austria or Italy) and exactly as described by flangesax above. No need to self cater either, that can work out more expensive than catered hotel or chalet if rubbish cooking facilities and/or expensive poorly-stocked supermarkets entice people to eat out more.

If there's a group of you, you might even attract a group booking discount with a hotelier or TO. I would say Austria and Italy are your best bets for good value for money.
latest report
Levi215, Should be doable, as others have said avoid France like the plague mid feb to Mid March.

I hoping to book a trip to Val Thorens 15/3 catered chalet is coming to £576 with flights and transfers, I have my own gear so with a lift pass I'm expecting it to come out at around your budget.

It's a realistic budget for pretty much anywhere with a bit of digging/and or compromises.
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy