Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Interesting Day Off Piste - Risk 4 - good idea, or not?

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
offpisteskiing, I must admit that I hadn't heard that one before. Is an ascending tourer actually at a 3x higher risk ?
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
skimottaret, they are exposed much longer on any slope. There are some stats from incidents from one of the avi institutes that show it to be more dangerous than skiing down.
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
As an ascending tourer I am more likely to cut the slope than on decent, however I'm less likely to be on the steeper ground. How that nets out I have no idea.
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
And you can't ski out of trouble that easily !!!!!!!!!!!!

Around ten years ago we were hut to hut touring with some very experienced skiers and three guide, it had been snowing heavily and conditions were pretty bad, we were climbing up well spaced out and there was a huge whoompf above us - the lead guide made various signals for us to stay put and be quiet - it was for about five minutes maybe more, it seemed!

Logic being the snow pack would refreeze and we could be on our way - but it's not an experience I want to go through again!
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
The incidence of multiple burials is also higher for ascending skiers and multiple burials are much harder to manage for a whole range of reasons than single burials despite what a quick whizz around the car-park with your 3 antenna beacon might suggest Happy.
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
[quote=davidof]
(but an ascending ski tourer is at 3 times the risk of a descending skier).
[/quote]

Why only three? Lots of obvious reasons spring to mind, like you'll probably spend ten times the amount of time in the area - but that would suggest 10 times the risk?
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
James the Last, I'd hazard a guess that an ascending ski tourer puts less force on the snowpack than someone skiing. So whilst the exposure to avi terrain is much greater the risk of causing a slide is lower hence balancing things out.

The real answer is that no body knows and the number reflects the data used. Toofy Grin
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
When ascending, you are also moving slower. Though you are slower getting out of trouble, you are slower getting into it to. When descending, you can quickly ski onto a different aspect/into different snow conditions whereas on the up, you have more time to consider.

It's pretty multi-faceted.
latest report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
meh wrote:

The real answer is that no body knows and the number reflects the data used. Toofy Grin

The French rescue services have claimed that ski touring is 10x more dangerous than off piste skiing mile for mile based on their observations.... and given they use the metric system that's not bad Happy.
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
davidof, that fits with the Canadian stats:

http://www.avalanche.ca/cac/library/avalanche-accidents

Sledding is the biggest cause of avi fatalities and the victim profile is:
A male in his 20's
A backcountry skier
With a 73% chance of being killed during the months of January, February and March, compared to 23% during November, December and April
Between the hours of 12:00 noon and 2:00 pm
Triggering an avalanche while on foot (55%) or snowmobile (32%)
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
If we really had a 73% chance of being killed, skiing in Jan, Feb or March (or even 23% - or for that matter even 1%) none of us would do it. wink
I think something has been expressed wrongly here.
latest report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
snowball, hence why it's the victim profile not a profile of the average ski tourer. Wink
snow conditions
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
snowball, I understood it to be 73% of all avalanche fatalities rather than all back country skiers.
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy