Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Snowchains or no snowchains?

Poster: A snowHead
pam w, hehehe. For what it's worth, its actually the wife's car (no willy-waving here!) and spends most of its life as a "chelsea tractor" (in Harrow not Chelsea but whatever). She's a doctor and there was a time and and a place where it was important she have a car that would definitely get her to work - that's no longer the case, she now works in a hospital she could walk to but she got used to the high driving position, seven seats, huge amount of space and road presence, so we stick with the disco. I only get to play with it "properly" every now and again - in the snow here, or once in a blue moon it goes on a green lane or two (shhh! she doesn't know). My own car is a boring saloon, motorbikes are more my thing...
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Szymon, you've got it wrong on your gradients, a 50% slope is approximately 27 degrees, what you're describing is a 100% slope or 1 in 1. A standard Discovery 3 is not able to ascend or descend a 45 degree slope due to it's limited approach and departure angles, I doubt that it's ramp break over angle would allow you to decend it either.
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Spyderman, I take back my earlier attempt at a description and replace it with "ruddy steep!" Happy. I've not measured it, but a "normal" car can do it if snow chains are on (although there was an issue last year with a saloon car that grounded, but I think it had been lowered in some way), so it's not a clearance thing...
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Szymon, if you fancy a bit of green laning you're welcome to tag along with us lot from Herts/Beds, we'll be gentle where we take you so you don't destroy your car. Normally at an off-road site, I'd say don't follow me you won't make it which is very true considering what you drive and thae tyres you have fitted, but laning is very different, we're very respectful of the lanes, if they're too bad we won't drive them, not because we can't but we don't want to tear them to pieces, which mine would do all too easily.
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Spyderman, as someone who rides a Suzuki DRZ400 and is a member of the TRF, I'm glad to hear that Happy. I think there may be murder in the air if the wife heard about me taking her pride and joy on some of the lanes, but I appreciate the offer and might try and temporarily borrow her car at some point, just as long as I return it undamaged and clean!

(Eek - now I really am guilty of going offtopic, apologies to the guy who was offended by that earlier!)
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Szymon, thread drift is perfectly acceptable on snowHeads especially if Land Rovers are involved Toofy Grin
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
pam w wrote:
Boris, it's OK, I do understand that if a chap wants a 4 x 4 he will find a reason. For Szymon it's driving in the snow. wink

It was car and caravan having a snake across all three lanes of M5 which convinced Mrs B that we needed a bigger car which wouldn't get pushed around. Obviously I had nothing to do with it, well apart from having a rough trade in price and a few test drives booked by the time we got home Toofy Grin
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Quote:

convinced Mrs B that we needed a bigger car

or a smaller van? wink I believe best Tow Car 2014 is a Skoda. wink
snow conditions
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
+1 for my Octavia (with chains and wintertyres) Madeye-Smiley
latest report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
pam w, no doubt about it, Skoda is a good car (is my car) but can't pull anything over 1500KG. To be within the recommended 85% car to van ratio you'd not have a very big van at around 1200KG - would be fine for a couple but no way would you have a family sized van.

The Disco pulls up to 3500KG so easily pulls our van (MTPLM 1500KG) which means we're around 50% ratio - also means never got stuck in any muddy sites, given than we camp year round. Oh and for the 1500KG and up category, the best towcar in the same tests, was teh Disco

Sure you'll just dismiss this as more willy waving but went through a long long review of many cars before we went for Disco and it wasn't just my decision Laughing Was one of the few cars which meets all the criteria we had
snow conditions
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
errrrm sorry am I lost??

Is this Caravanheads "Where tailbacks matter??? Puzzled
latest report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
No it was just trying to explain that there are times when having a 4*4 is a need rather than a want

Ah the old sweeping generalisation that all caravaners cause hold ups - never mind the ones who travel at night, generally use motorways, would pull over if there were cars building up etc.

Yeah I know it was a joke, I'm just grumpy and looking to take offence at everything today Toofy Grin
latest report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
It's all quite simple really.

For normal road use there is no real need for a 4x4. I go to our appartment all through the year. I used to have Disco's ( 1 range rover, 3 discovery's) until I got sick of the reliability and cost of running. It also became obvious that the majority, and this is an unscientific measure based on my observation, of the locals don't bother with 4x4s.

So now for the last five years or so I have had hatchbacks or people carriers - but with winter tyres. Also have auto socks and snow chains in the back - just in case.

I think, in literally hundreds of trips up and down the mountain from Moutiers I have only ever had to put snow chains on once. But as everyone says you would be mad not to put them in the back of the car as driving down from the UK and getting turned back would be silly. Also if you have summer tyres then you will likely need them.

Certainly my fwd cars on winter tyres go up and down the mountain better than the Discos did on 'M&S' tyres. AT2s I had on.

I used to tow a caravan before we saw sense, and a Renault Espace seemed a far more stable tow car than the disco in cross winds as it had a much shorter overhang from the rear axle.

I honestly see no sense in a 4x4.
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Quote:

Sure you'll just dismiss this as more willy waving

Absolutely not. I don't think that caravanning goes with willy-waving. wink
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
No, you just look like a dick.
snow report
Boris wrote:
Yeah I know it was a joke, I'm just grumpy and looking to take offence at everything today Toofy Grin

I think the winds may well do that for you today anyway.. Laughing
ski holidays
emwmarine, it was a cross wind in VW Sharan which (nearly) did us

Disco is far more stable in anything - is a 4 which (crosses everything) appear to be far more reliable

homers double, if you say so rolling eyes
snow report
Boris wrote:

snow report
Boris,

well good luck with it. My last one, which was a II (the stories about the 3 completely put me off getting a new one of those) became a joke n the end. Simple example. It needed a new rear wheel bearing.

Of course being a land rover, you couldn't just buy a new wheel bearing for 80 quid or so. You had to buy a complete hub assembly for 400 quid. And of course, once I looked at the other side you could tell that it needed replacing fairly soon as well.

Then there was oil seepage into the engine wiring loom.

Then there was the oil pickup coming loose in the sump and totalling the engine, then there was, fried air suspension pump, then...... If I didn't work on it myself then it really would have cost an arm and a leg.

When it worked it was quite nice to go in but I wouldn't get another from the marque.

Plus I find the latest grand scenic more comfortable, quicker on the motorways, more economical and as I say perfectly adequate with winter tyres on.
ski holidays
You shouldnt need them at that altitude to be honest.
ski holidays
They should be well prepared if the snow is forecast, however, if you do find yourself needing them it is no fun at all having to find and fit them on the road! Especially if you have two screaming kids in the back of the car (voice of experience talking).
snow conditions
Having 4 wheel drive will help traction when putting power down, but does absolutely nothing to improve braking performance.
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy