Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Cortina & Sella Ronda Excursions

Poster: A snowHead
I've been sitting back and reading a few posts over the last few weeks but now that my trip is approaching I was hoping to find the inside scoop to some trip plans I've been making. I'm heading to Cortina for five days of skiing (March 5-9) and my honeymoon. I'm an advanced skier and my wife is advanced as well, we live in Idaho and generally ski 10-20 days a year on and off piste. My only ski trip to Europe was to Chamonix back in college. Our plan was to do 2-3 days in Cortina (Tofana/Faloria/Cristallo) and then take 2-3 days and venture out from there. We will not have a car and have a hotel in Cortina for the week.

Do these trips seem feasible:

1) Early bus to Passo Falzarego, cable car, hidden valley, Armentarola drag to San Cassiano, join Sella Ronda Clockwise (I am looking for suggestions on the best way to do this, i.e. via Corvara, Planac, or Vizza lift) around Sella Ronda clockwise to Ciampinoi lift in Selva, Down Saslong, bus to Ortisei to spend the night (looking for hotel recommendations for a 3-4 star hotel and some good restaurants). We don't plan on making reservations and would like to just go with the flow and hopefully book something in town whatever day we decided to make this loop. We hope to watch the weather and do this one on a clear day.

Next day: Lift up to Seceda (either directly or via Raschotz), down Cisles piste to bottom of Col Rasier lift, either bus to Selva or tunnel and Saslong/Sochers lift and run to to Selva. Rejoin Sella Ronda clockwise and depending on time ski Edelweisstal area or around La Villa eventually making our way back to Armentarola to catch a bus/taxi back up to Falzarego to catch a bus back to Cortina.

2) As a day trip: Cinque Torri to Averau, down to Fedare, bus to Pescul in Civetta, Fertazza Lift then ski to Alleghe. Bus to Malga Ciapela and tram to the top of Marmolada. Long run down all the way back to Malga Ciapela and do Sottoguda gorge (any snow reports on the gorge?) catch the bus in Sottoguda and return to Alleghe to go back over Civetta and back up to Fedare and up to Averau in time to make it down to Cinque Torri to catch the last bus.

I'd appreciate any comments on time frames for each leg or places to eat that would make sense for a lunch stop on any of these proposed routes. Also, feel free to tell me if I am completely crazy and my marriage will end if I try to drag my new bride on either of these excursions.

Thanks
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
IdahoUdaho, Welcome to snowHeads - and haven't you done your homework! My first thoughts are that both you suggestions are rather ambitious - more for the time spent on lifts than anything. Also, I am not sure that you can get a bus from Cortina to the bottom of the Laguzoi cable car. I suspect, though I could be wrong, that the bus takes you to the lift at the bottom of Cinque Torri, and it is quite a bit of skiing from there to get over to the Laguzoi lift.

It also takes a long time to get up the three cable cars up Marmolada - and it is a long way down with some slow flat bits to do.

So, not completely crazy, but very ambitious would be my view...

snowHead
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Chris Bish, we couldn't ski from Cinque Torri to Lagazuoi last week. Not sure if it was just a closed run, or no longer on the map. There was a bus from bottom of Cinque Torri to bottom of Lagazuoi cable car (runs every 25mins ish, although we had exactly 35 minutes wait for the next one and had the world's fastest lunch). No idea where that bus came from, but I assume it came from the general direction of Cortina?

Marmolada varies. Day after the dump last week was apparently carnage. The day after that, we skied straight there from a reasonably relaxed start (no way was it 1st lift!) and walked straight in to the waiting cable car.
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Thanks for the welcome. That 3d map on the dolomitesuperski website is really helpful to figure out how the area is laid out. From what I can tell from the bus schedules (sitting at my computer 8,000 miles away) there is a bus from the bus station in Cortina to Lagazuoi. I think the first one gets to the tram at about 9:20AM. From the lift/piste reports, it also looks like the new Croda Negra Chair that links Cinque Torre to Col Galina/Lagazuoi isn't open yet. I'm assuming this is due to lack of snow.

I saw an old thread on this site that it was possible to do the Sella Ronda from Cortina via Lagazuoi and Hidden Valley but I was hoping for some confirmation on my route & the use of buses.

Andy, are you saying you skied to Marmolada from Cortina via the route I described and had time to make it back? The route I describe would seem to be 1/2 of the Great War Ski Tour so I am assuming that if its possible to do the Great War tour in a day, it should also be possible to do 1/2 out and 1/2 back?

If the consensus is that these routes are too ambitious, what is the best way to get over to the Sella Ronda/Marmolada from Cortina? Is it possible to pay for a seat on a van/bus or are there excursion trips anyone would recommend? How about hitch hiking? (I'm guessing this is difficult for 2 people with skis and smaller European cars but it is a fairly common way to catch a ride for some of our backcountry runs in the western USA).
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
IdahoUdaho, Can't advise on those ski routes, but just remember, this is Italy. Stuff doesn't always quite go like clockwork, or like it says on the tin. Part of the charm!
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
IdahoUdaho, I was with andy and we did Marmolada from Arabba, not Cortina. You may be a little pushed to do it there and back from Cortina without needing to fall back on a taxi (of which there are plenty around, so you'll never be stuck, just poorer!) but you may be fine as I expect you go a lot faster than me. You'll be somewhat at the mercy of the queue length at Marmolada. On the way back you could get a taxi from Arabba to Lagazoui which would save a lot of time.

The run down from Lagazoui to Cinque Torri was just temporarily closed I think due to lack of snow and should be open again now. The bus we got along that road almost certainly originated in Cortina.

pam w, has a point though. You may need to work on Italian time, especially if you've pre-booked a taxi, and remember to leave time for admiring the scenery and sampling the bombardinos en route Happy
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Quote:

remember to leave time for admiring the scenery

Oh yes!! That's the whole point, after all. snowHead
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
and pick a sunny day Wink

The Hidden Valley was basically hidden the day we did it. Horse tow back to San Cassiano was fun.
snow conditions
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
How much would a taxi cost from Arabba to Lagazoui and how long would that take? I thought I read 3Euro/Km? Looks like about 20Km?

I assume the reverse is true and I could just start by taking a taxi from Lagazoui to Arabba and then head over to Marmolada and come back to Cortina via Sottoguda gorge, Civetta, Fedare, and up to Averau in time to make it down to Cinque Torri to catch the last bus to Cortina?

All in all, it seems to be the consensus that I better be prepared to pay for some taxis if we want to explore. Oh, well small price to pay for what looks like an amazing place to ski.

Thanks for all the help.
snow conditions
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
From my experience hiring a car may be a better way.

It is 24 miles from Cortina to Arabba free car park with which you can

(1) Go round Sella Ronda clockwise and drive back to Contina hotel

(2) Do the same again but doing the anticlockwise direction.

(3) Do the World War I skiing Tour. It is an unidirection loop commencing from Arabba by going up the Marmolada peak, ski down to Malga Ciapela, take the first bus ride (free public bus, ask bus stop direction from the lift station as it is a couple of minute walk from the station) to Alleghe of Civetta, ski two runs there to its back Pescul, take the second of last bus (a paid specially link bus) to Fedare which is part of Cinque Toirri. From Fedare you ski to Lagazui, go through the Hidden Valley and take a horse drag to Armentaroloa. From there you ski the Sella Ronda loop back to Arabba. This loop is formed by Arabba, Civetta, Cortina & Alta Badia is in the reverse order to your original post. The World War I skking Tour loop is unidirectional because the Hidden Valley can only be ski in one direction without a chairlift back. The full itenerary is available in the Civetta Piste map (or trail map used in USA).

If you still want to go to Ortisei you can drive to Santa Cristina and try to stay overnight there but a late retirn is possible via Passo Campolongo and Passo Gardena (going through Alta Badia). Santa Cristina has a Funicula for staring another loop to Sceda, Ortisei and Alps D'Siusi with the last leg back to Santa Cristina car park by a single lane free bus ride. This loop is nearly a day's skiing too.
latest report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
IdahoUdaho wrote:
How much would a taxi cost from Arabba to Lagazoui and how long would that take? I thought I read 3Euro/Km? Looks like about 20Km?

I can't remember as it was last year we did that ride, there were 7 or 8 of us and I don't remember it being very much each, probably between 5 and 10 Euros. time-wise I think it was at least 15 mins. It doesn't look far but the road is twisty-turny.

This year the taxi from Armentarola to Lagazoui was definitely 5 Euros each, but if there were less than 5 of you you had to wait a few minutes until somebody else turned up to make up the numbers (there was a kind of taxi rank in operation).

I recon you could do everything you've mentioned without a hire car as long as you don't mind taking the odd bus and taxi.
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
in your first option -- you might be better doing the sella anti-clock -- i.e. armentorola/san cass/corvara ; then anti clock (corvara/colfosco to top of dantercepies/down into selva. at this point reapraise ; if u have time, do the saslong into st christinia or take bus to st chris or ortisei (or............ -- sooooo many options !!! Wink )
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
It looks like anti-clockwise would be the shorter route for option 1 and then I could continue anti-clockwise the next day. I had just read that clockwise was preferable because of the long run into Selva. Also, I had read that the series of lifts up from Colfosco on the anti-clockwise route was a bit of a pain.

Sounds like my first option (to get to Ortisei in a day) is feasible and I just need to watch the clock and stay flexible as to where we spend the night. Maybe even hit Marmolada on the way back through Arabba on the way back?

It sounds like for our second option it is probably best to take a taxi out of Cortina to Arabba and come back via Civetta.

I saw taxicortinasci.it that seemed to have decent prices for trips from Cortina to outlying resorts. Has anyone used this or a similar pre-arranged taxi service? Is it fairly easy to piggyback on pre-arranged taxis with others to keep costs down or should we expect to be able to piggyback to outlying resorts from Passo Falzarego if we bus it up from Cortina? What about pre-arranging for rides home to Cortina from outlying resorts? Or is it just easier to hop on a taxi wherever we end up? I assume I can get more info from the travel office in Cortina. So much to see but I don't want to have to mortgage the house to pay for the trip when we get home.

Thanks
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Quote:

I had read that the series of lifts up from Colfosco on the anti-clockwise route was a bit of a pain.

Not really a pain. Just a whole section from Corvara/Colfosco to Selva that is largely lifts (2-way chair, chair, gondola to top station, short run, chair, short run, chair, nice easy black down in to Selva)

I reckon Hidden Valley, San Cassiano, Corvara to Selva would be pretty straightforward, and give time to play around on the Seceda/Ortisei area or go up to do the WC black run.
edit: from Selva you'd have to go via Saslong anyway to get to Santa Cristina/Ortisei.

1 full Sella Ronda loop and the run out to Marmolada is possible in a day (did that last year), so Ortisei to Marmolada going round the SW side of Sella Ronda should also be possible. There's certainly Taxis from Arabba to Passo Falzarego / Lagazuoi. No idea if there's any from Malga Ciapela (ie bottom of Marmolada) back to Cortina.
snow conditions
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
IdahoUdaho wrote:
Also, I had read that the series of lifts up from Colfosco on the anti-clockwise route was a bit of a pain.

as has been said; its not so bad now ----- it used to be a series (5?) of drags lifts up to dantercepies followed by two chairs !!!!!
snow conditions
We just returned from a great trip. First, thanks to all of you who replied for your assistance. Snow was very thin around Cortina and other towns below 1500m. Luckily we got some snow on Monday to fill in some of the bare spots. We skied Faloria and Cristallo but couldn't see much due to the fog. Apparently, the lack of snow caused some people to clear out so Cortina was rather dead most of the week. We did the following tours:

1) Early bus to Passo Falzarego, cable car, hidden valley, Armentarola drag to San Cassiano, join Sella Ronda Green (anticlockwise) via Corvara. We missed the connection at Corvara and had to take the gondola once. Lunch at the top of Passo Gardena. Dancerpentes slope to Selva, up gondola, down Saslong, through tunnel, up gondola & lift to Seceda for some drinks and down La Longia (James Bond run). Contacted the TI office for availability and spent the night in Ortisei.

Next day: Bus to Selva. Rejoin Sella Ronda anti-clockwise at the top of Sasslong. Arabba to Marmolada. Line for tram up Marmolada was about 1 hour wait. Still some fresh tracks up high but mostly moguls the rest of the way down. Quick lunch in Malga Ciapela. Bus to Alleghe. Up Civetta gondola and down the other side to Pescul. Bus to Fedare. Spent the night in Averau.

Next day Cinque Torri and bus to Tofana and skiied most of Tofana. Return to Cortina for a massage. I had a GPS with me and the map of the whole ski region (which was a complete waste of $) and the whole trip was around 120 miles.

Next day first bus to Falzarego, hidden valley, drag in Armentarola. Gondola in Alta Badia down Gran Risa. Join the Gourmet ski tour out to San Croche Church. This was one of our favorite places. Reverse back to La Villa. Up gondola and a few lifts up high. Back to Armentarola via the long run at the top of Alta Badia to catch a bus up to Falzarego. Ski down to Cinque Torri. Bus back to Cortina.

The weather was perfect and there was availability everywhere we would have wanted to stay. We were also in fairly decent shape and are both fast skiers. Bad weather, crowds, or a large group could definitely slow you down. Thanks again for the help.
snow report
IdahoUdaho, glad to hear you enjoyed it!
snow report
IdahoUdaho,

That was a mighty trip! You didn't miss much, did you?
ski holidays
IdahoUdaho, well done on a great ski tour. We are staying in Selva at the moment and had a trip to Cinque Torri and Cortina today but found the area a bit disjointed but the snow was good. We also skied over to Santa Croce yesterday and really enjoyed the trip and the quiet pistes once we were off the main Sella Ronda circuit.
ski holidays
see http://www.valdizoldo.net/great-_war_ski_tour.html
snow report
Cheers!
snow report
This is a map of the Falzarego / Cinque Torri areas. http://www.bergfex.com/lagazuoi-cinque-torri/panorama/ You can ski downhill from the pass to the bottom of the Cinque Torri area along the (Cortina) road. Bus or lifts and ski the other way. The Hidden Valley is the other side of the Lagazuoi. Where it says Rif, beside Cinque Torri is the top of a sort of pass, I think. With a guide you can ski off piste from Cinque Torri to just short of Cortina (a fun route and not difficult).
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy