Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Carte Neige Austria style

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
Hi

Do Austria do something similar to the Carte Neige? If so what is it called and can you get it from the lift pass office?

Thanks for your help in advance.
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Jerby, AFAIK neither Austria or Switzerland do the equivalent of the French Carte neige, but the good news is that you don't need it as the ski patrols will take you of the slope free of charge if you have an accident, and of course you should have your EHIC card and a ski insurance policy for any medical treatment which you may need.
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Alastair Pink wrote:
but the good news is that you don't need it as the ski patrols will take you of the slope free of charge if you have an accident

I'm not sure I believe that. I would expect to be charged if I was carted off the slopes, especially if a helicopter is used (which is quite common). So I think insurance to cover evacuation and treatment is sensible (though medical treatment should be covered by the EHIC arrangement). You may also want insurance for transport back home in case of injury. Most such insurance doesn't seem to be too expensive, e.g. I am covered for evacuation off the slope (I hope) through membership of the local ski club here (and through that Ski Austria) and that only costs €27 per year.
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
Make sure your insurance policy covers evacuation and repatriation and carry a copy of your insurance documents with you. Should be ok really.

I got bloodwagoned off the mountain in France without a carte neige, wasn't a problem.
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
To OP, YES look at the alpine club (Alpenverein) http://www.alpenverein.at/mitglied_werden/standard/index.php and the UK branch here http://www.aacuk.org.uk/benefits.aspx

Membership provides rescue cover and repatriation. Combined with EHIC you should be sorted.
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
espri, Yeah, I posted that yesterday evening after a bit too much apres ski. Embarassed (I'm currently out in the Zillertal).

What I should have said is to make sure that your travel insurance policy covers you for both medical and evacuation costs - although I think that if it's just a simple case of evacuation down the slopes on a blood wagon stretcher many places in Austria (and Switzerland) won't charge. Even if they do make a charge they seem perfectly happy to accept UK travel insurance, in contrast to some of the stories that have been posted on here about some French ski patrols reluctance/refusal to do so, with the corresponding incentive to take out carte neige to avoid such problems.

Memo to self... must not post when pished. Toofy Grin
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Alastair Pink, In Switzerland you can get Snowcare, you can buy online for CHF5.00 per day in advance or at the ski station for CHF4.00.
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Thank you for the above. Is there anything you can buy with your lift pass to cover you for getting you off the mountain if the worst happens?
snow conditions
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Jerby, I bought cover in St Anton last February, can't remember what it was called, cost a couple of euros a day.
snow conditions
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
I am looking into Carte Neige and came across this thread.
It was back in 1995, so a long time ago. I was helicoptered from Stuben to Feldkirch in Austria. It certainly was not free but my Australian travel insurance eventually paid for it. They may not have paid if I had been off piste but I was on piste at the time.
Australian insurers don't understand the european concept of off piste - they define off piste as being outside the ski area boundary. They get all confused and can't explain what happens when you tell them some ski areas do not have a boundary.
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Carré Neige and Carte Neige insurances are both types of French winter insurance cover that can be purchased by anyone living in the EU.
They still sell them to non EU residents and are probably accepted by the pisteurs who take the number and make the claim direct but a non EU resident is probably not legally covered.
If the non EU resident were to submit a claim they probably would get rejected.
latest report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Claude B wrote:
Jerby, I bought cover in St Anton last February, can't remember what it was called, cost a couple of euros a day.

You can buy the 'Arlberg Safty Card' when you buy your lift pass, €25 euros for the season, can't remember how much for shorter stays (having only ever bought a season pass) and a stamp is made on your lift pass so if you need transporting off the mountain (piste only IIRC) you don't have to pay.
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy