Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Tignes jan

Poster: A snowHead
Hi all
Going to tignes in a couple of weeks with a group of 8,never skied here before, looking for any tips ,places to have dinner,a few drinks at night, runs to avoid, runs to do,going with mountain sun,

Thanks in advance
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Hi rothwell, you should get plenty of good tips from snowheads. A few questions to guide responses...what level, or range of levels, does your group of 8 ski at? What grades of piste preferred and do you go off-piste? Are you planning on a full area pass including Val D'Isere? Which bit of Tignes are you staying in, eg Le Lac, Val Claret, Lavachet?
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
We are mixed group, 2 beginners( 2 long weekends)rest intermediate,not really up for off piste at moment, we are staying in le lac, not sure about lift pass,it's included in price of accommodation.
Thanks again
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
There's a recent thread here http://snowheads.com/ski-forum/viewtopic.php?p=2394404&highlight=tignes#2394404

We're back again 10 days time staying in Le Lac this time Smile .

The whole Espace Killy is great for intermediates. Beginners need to be aware of the undergrading of some routes (there's a few greens around that are really blue), but I assume they'll be in lessons so instructor should be able to advise them. If they're OK on blues, then from what I can remember the blues on the Tignes side really are blue. I think there's 1 or 2 over Val d'Isere which are more like red.
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Quote:

We are mixed group, 2 beginners( 2 long weekends)rest intermediate,not really up for off piste at moment, we are staying in le lac

Thanks rothwell, much easier to advise with that info. I'm in Les Arcs on a slow connection right now. I'll post some opinions early next week. No doubt other snowheads will too. The Santons piste is sure to get mentioned!
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
if you are staying in Le Lac would recommend that you visit Alpacaka & go for the area lift pass, once you get your legs you will want to stretch your legs, fantastic resort/ski area probably our favourite.....you will not get bored Toofy Grin
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Hiya, we've just got back from Tignes Le Lac and if you are looking for a special meal I'd recommend the restaurant in Chalet Lo Terrachu. Without any exaggeration I'd say the meal we had there was probably the best meal I've ever eaten. The staff are really friendly too.

If you are self catering, or just want a nice bottle of red of an evening, the Sherpa in Lavachet just opposite Scottys bar has the best selection I think, but you are still paying mountain prices with a couple of cracking bottles of Bordeaux at 12.99 - the St Georges St Emilion being my fav!

I've now had lessons with TDC Tignes 3 times and would also give the thumbs up for them too. It's amazing the difference having lessons with someone who speaks your language as their first language. (Thanks to both Gav & James at TDC)

Whatever you do there, Tignes/EK is just a great place to ski and the recent snow has freshened it all up. Have fun. snowHead
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
For lunch try the restaurant or self service at the end of the Chaudannes lift Madeye-Smiley . Runs down to Brevieres are not to good as the weather is warm - but http://www.armailly.com/ there is good and reservation is adviced.

The Panoramic at the end of Funiculare has a nice restaurant.

Did not find any SnowHeads - even though I had SowHead uniform on. Sad

And quite surpriced when staying in a british catered chalet, that nobody knew about "SnowHeads" Shocked
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Another vote for taking lessons (you can arrange lessons through Mountainsun). Even if you get the Tignes pass there's absolutely heaps of skiing.
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
I mentioned snowheads a few times to people I was chatting with but the only ones who knew what I was on about were the TDC instructors! Maybe a sew on patch for the backpack might be an idea?

There were a few bits of gravel appearing earlier on in the week, but after Boxing Day it was great, Friday we woke up to an untracked mountain for our last off piste lesson, how lucky is that...amazing fun.
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Another vote for Le Terrachu in Le Lac - excellent food (one of the best meals I've ever had too). 30 euro set menu for 3 courses in a relaxed, friendly atmosphere. Highly recommended.

Runs? I'd agree with WotnoWalshy: Tignes runs aren't overgraded, so the blues should be friendly enough. The Zone Tranquile runs in Val are very gentle too. Start with the Palafour lift blues to get your legs back, then gradually work your way over to Grattalu & keep following the sun Smile
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Runs to avoid: Santons - so-called Blue into Val d'Isere. Early intermediates should consider taking the lift down to Val d'Isere as none of the pistes are easy, whatever lies the piste map may tell you. If you must, the runs into the La Daille area are easier than those into central Val d'Isere and you can always hop onto a bus in the valley.

Runs to do: the whole Aiguille Percee area is very scenic and rarely busy. Provided the snow is good, Breviere is a fine expedition for lunch, especially on a day you don't want to be high.
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
rothwell, Are you sure you will be in Le Lac? Mountain Sun's chalet is in Les Boisses.....
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Food: My favourite restaurant is Escale Blanche right in the middle of the square just over the road from Maison Du Tignes & Aeroski lift
Its not cheap but really good pizzas and fat salads (i.e. Salad covered in cheese, ham and potatoes) if you fancy a treat (around 14 for pizza and similar for fat salad)
Also good if you have to come back into the square to meet for lunch if people have had lessons

Runs: Depending on your ability, one of my favourite red runs is Double M - accessed from the top of the Funiculare at the Tignes glacier - at the start there are a couple of odd bits (Face and Dahu short reds) but then it breaks into wide motorway Red - its a nice long run!!

If you are staying in Le Lac, there is a really nice "Tignes Loop" - all blues - Get Aeroski out of Tignes, then follow Piste H down to Val Claret, then get the Tichot lift out, then Grattula and follow Lac run to the Grand Huit lift. Then follow anemone run all the way back down to the square.

I also agree - Avoid Santons going into Val D'Isere - this run has no redeeming features!!!! Mad

If the snow is good then the long blue all the way down to Le Breviere is nice - its just like a road with a couple of tricky bits but it goes past some fancy icicles on the left and you can get a bucket of hot chocolate at the bottom
although its quite pricey!
snowHead snowHead snowHead snowHead snowHead snowHead Very Happy Very Happy
latest report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Sorry folks
Yes we are staying in les boisses,not le lac Smile
latest report
rothwell, To sample most of what has been mentioned above (food & drink wise)in the evenings, you would have to catch one of the free buses up to Le Lac. I'm guessing that you'll be staying at Les Melezes. Not sure if there is any established night life yet in the new Tignes 1800/ aka Les Boisses. Your place has it's own bar anyway.

I think the buses run until midnight but don't take my word for it. A new gondola was installed about 3 years ago that will quickly get you into main ski area of Tignes.
snow report
Les Melezes is a great place to stay. It's pretty much ski in/out and the Brev/Boisses side can be epic after a dump. The pistes get done early evening so can be knee+ deep when you get off the first lift the next morning.

La Sachette in Brevieeres is worth going to and is the best in Brev in my opinion. Avoid the places on the bridge as they will charge you €10 for a can of coke. La Sachette is over the bridge and 50m up on the left.

If you are looking for perfect cruising pistes then head over to the left of the map and ski the Fornet valley. You can ride it from top to bottom and none of it is hard. It really is a fantastic run and is normally deserted.

I've done coming up to 10 years in Tignes with multiple trips most years. I'm going to Morzine in Jan but can't wait to go back there in March. Thinking about it, there are no bad runs in the whole EK. Even Santons is good fun as it's like a long natural half pipe. It might be different on school holidays but I never go then.

The "Icy Wall of Death" back to Melezes can be a challenge for beginners when it freezes in the late afternoons. Get the bus back from Lac if some struggle with the ice. This piste gets roasted in the morning sun so freezes most days. Alternatively MTFU and learn how to ski fast on ice wink

My favourite morning coffee, of anywhere in the world, is Tete de Solaise, outside on the plastic sofas in the sun. Ah, I wish I was there now!!

For nightlife, Loop can be good in the evenings, as can Jacks nightclub. If they are playing this year, the Cheer Leaders are well worth seeing. It's also worth getting over to VC in the evenings but get a number for a taxi, in case you miss the last bus. Le Cordee in Lower Boisses often have bands. The Path of Doom down from Melezes can be tricky if it's icy though, especially when 'pre-loaded'!

Say Hi to Ellie at Les Melezes for me. You will love it there.
ski holidays
The Blues and Greens of Grand Pre are really nice and are often less crowded than other runs.

If you are getting lessons I'd happily recommend Evolution 2, they've been consistently excellent for the last 4 years.

And if ultra-loud dance music and open air bars are your thing then you have to make sure you get to the La Folie Douce at least once for a beer before the last lifts home (Tommeuse then Chaudannes?).
latest report
Quote:
the Sherpa in Lavachet just opposite Scottys bar has the best selection I think, but you are still paying mountain prices with a couple of cracking bottles of Bordeaux at 12.99 - the St Georges St Emilion being my fav!
.....Or stock up at a supermarket in Bourg St Maurice on the way up. We've had drinkable stuff for €1 Laughing (we bought it just to see what it was like) and there's loads of better stuff for less that €4 Very Happy. All depending on your taste of course - but my name's Mountainaddict and I'm an alcohol...hic(!) wink.
latest report
Thanks for all your help and info Madeye-Smiley Madeye-Smiley
snow conditions
Hi rothwell, this current forum thread (see link at bottom) may be useful. Hope you treat your 2 beginners kindly, as Espace Killy can be very challenging. Most blue runs OK on Tignes side in decent conditions. Also Ski Tranquille area between Borsat Express and Grand Pre lifts usually good. Beware valley runs into Val D'Isere village - notoriously under graded on piste map. Beginners can download into Val D on Olympique gondola and Solaise Express chair to experience whole area. The runs on the very top of the Solaise are gentle with great views.
For the more adventurous.... my favourite red runs are Double M above Val Claret. Coupe de Monde 'OK' into La Daille. Arcelle off the top of the Solaise. Finally the rather remote Cugnai to the right of the Glacier Express.
Black runs especially depend on conditions (ice, visibility, etc). The Leisse piste beneath the Grande Motte is generally the easiest black. The Face de Bellevarde is enjoyable in decent snow, if you don't mind some steep, late morning best in my experience. In reasonable snow Epaule du Charvet black is preferable to the Santons (blue) beneath it IMHO. Runs to avoid? Sache and Silene vary between challenging and terrifying, especially if icy and/or mogulled. Trolles into Tignes Le Lac (2100) can be tricky late afternoon when busy. Foret down into La Fornet can be deceptive, as it narrows and gets rocky lower down.
Try to get cable car to top of Grande Motte for views and good fast run down. Also the 'up and over' chair (Lessieres Express) to/from La Fornet worth a ride. Food - the Bagus café in Le Lac centre for simple filling food. For a quick lunch stop the food counter in Spar supermarket, Le Lac, recommended by many Snowheads - good value and has a few inside seats. Mountain restaurants at top of Chaudannes lift, Tignes and La Fornet Cable Car. Enjoy your first trip to EK - I can't wait for March and I'll be eating once at the Terrachu by the sound of it!

http://snowheads.com/ski-forum/viewtopic.php?t=106087
ski holidays
bar shaker wrote:
Les Melezes is a great place to stay. It's pretty much ski in/out

Depends what you mean by "pretty much". Normally you have to walk down to the bottom of the road before you can ski. It's unusual to be able to ski from the door although we've done it when we've had an overnight dump.

As for skiing back, it's off-piste for the last bit if you want to ski to the door. Which can be "interesting", depending on snow conditions and not really recommended for beginners.

Still not much of a walk though, even if you stay on piste, although it is uphill!
snow conditions
mountainaddict but my name's Mountainaddict and I'm an alcohol...hic(!)

love it!! Laughing
snow conditions
rothwell,
are you going on the 12th
ski holidays
Le Lac:
Loop Bar (eating at lunch, evening is more of a bar).
Tignes Cusine (take-out)
TC Bar (cracking burgers)
Alpacka (Typically Brit-run, but small and friendly).
Bagus Bar (Pizzas, great for kids)
Clin d'Oeil (sublime but very expensive evening option, prepare to empty your wallet, but worth it)

Val Claret:
Aspen Bar (great lunch spot, cheap and cheerful cafe)
Coffee (lunch, more expensive, but great sun spot)
La Caveau (evenings, go when live music is showing - if no live music, then still worth a visit)
Saint Jacques (evenings, great shout, again not the cheapest, but very good)

Ski lunch spots:
Marmottes, one of the cheapest.
Do not miss the Folie.
Tete Solaise is one of my faves, great music and an awesome sun spot.
Last, I actually forget the name, and it's as far from Tignes as you go. Bottom left of the piste map, 1/2 way down the Fornet gondola. Not cheap, but very good!

Hope that helps! Food for thought!!

Cheers
ski holidays
Meant to say rothwell...after loads of visits to Tignes, our favourite restaurant is La Ferme des 3 Capucines in Tignes Le Lavachet:

http://www.lafermedes3capucines.com/

It's a working farm - very rustic with great food at fairly decent prices. Booking advised.
snow report
Quote:

ski the Fornet valley. You can ride it from top to bottom and none of it is hard.

I would have to disagree with this if your group includes near beginners. The last few hundred meters before the Signal restaurant at the top of the cable car are quite tricky. I was there in Christmas week with my daughter who is in that category and she found it really hard.
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy