Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Les Arcs / Peisey Vallandry

Poster: A snowHead
thanks Richie_S!
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
What a FANTASTIC day Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
PG, well what about a report then?!
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Ooooh PG, you tease. Very Happy
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
'That' thread over on Piste got me moving this morning! It snowed solidly all night, was still snowing this morning right down in BsM, so I knew there would be nice light powder, a bit of a rare commodity this late in March. I basically spent the whole day either on the Comborcière or just beside it up at 2000, on or near the Malgovert (first down it this morning, what a great red run, unpisted, deep powder), or through the Mont Blanc forest in the 1600 domain. The Ours black was the most testing - although there were not many people about, what there were had gone down the Ours it seemed, and in zero visibility (right in the clouds, chopped up snow, flat sections interspersed with moguls that you just couldn't see until you bounced across them, sudden patches of deep powder, it made for an interesting descent!)

By 3pm it was getting a touch heavy down in the lower part of the forest, but it was definitely one of the best two or three days this season. There must have been at least 50cms of fresh snow, a lot more where it had drifted. It was the kind of day when you find yourself singing away as you ski, sheer bliss. Fortunately no one in earshot!

Came across the 6/7 year olds of the Ski Club off piste, they were having a fantastic time. Even managed to keep up with them for a few hundred metres (until we entered the trees again rolling eyes)

latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Looks fabulous Smile
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
rob@rar.org.uk, we were about 100 metres to the left of the Malgovert in that picture - it hasn't been open much, don't know if you've been down it? It's my favourite piste in the whole resort.
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
PG fantastic!
Quote:
It was the kind of day when you find yourself singing away as you ski, sheer bliss. Fortunately no one in earshot!

so what tunes did you find yourself singing Very Happy
latest report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
A bit to deep n c;oudy for me , but I am jealous snowHead
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
RachelQ, I'm too embarrassed to say! Very Happy Alright then, it was "there'll be blue birds over the White Cliffs of Dover" Embarassed Embarassed God knows why Confused, I'm more inclined to Mark Knopfler usually...

Frosty the Snowman, most of the time I could see reasonably well, and the powder was so light and deep you just couldn't do yourself any harm, in the open spaces anyway. That said I was going down a reasonable gradient off piste early afternoon, and couldn't see the drop on the other side of a bump - in fact I couldn't see the bump at all - in the flat light. No way would I have tried it had I known, but as I found myself sailing through the air, apart from nearly having an accident à la FtS La Thuile experience, it was actually quite exhilarating. It was about a four metre high mini cliff. I kind of froze in the right position, and even stayed upright on landing. Then I spoilt it by trying to stop too quickly to look back, and buried myself. Couldn't stop laughing for the next five minutes, a real thrill.
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Quote:

It was about a four metre high mini cliff. I kind of froze in the right position, and even stayed upright on landing. Then I spoilt it by trying to stop too quickly to look back, and buried myself.
Oh for a video of that Laughing
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
PG wrote:
rob@rar.org.uk, we were about 100 metres to the left of the Malgovert in that picture - it hasn't been open much, don't know if you've been down it? It's my favourite piste in the whole resort.

No, not yet. It seems so rarely open. Maybe when I'm out in a couple of weeks. A bit more snow like you've got today would be nice...
snow conditions
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Rob
Just back from Bourg tonight and have to agree with PG. Malgovert has to be one of the best runs in the resort - Natural terrain - variation, views and then you still get to carve down Mont Blanc. We were last down it twice this week - Perfect end to the day
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Kieran, thanks. I'll really hope it's available to ski in a couple of week's time Smile
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
PG
Sounds like a great day - (well, has to have been better than mine back in the front line of commerce...)

I find Malgovert to be an ' interesting' run - depending on the conditions, and, as you say, often closed. I will always try to find time to get to it when I see it open.

For those of you who don't know, it first of all lulls you into a false sense of security " hah it's no more than a track, and the black goes off down the steep bit - what's the fuss about?"

Then you get the pitch like a roller coaster, so that when unpisted and /or mogul'd, you can't afford to stop between the lumpy bits, otherwise you'll find yourself walking up the hills. So you have to ski them bits proper like and carry your speed..

Then you get around the corner, and them thar bumps gets biiiig - I remember the first time we did it, Mrs W disappeared into a dip between two so called moguls, more hillocks really, I followed her over the lip and dang if someone hadn't put a tree in there you just could not see from above. Add in ice on a bad day, and you start to doubt your ability and sanity.

Then there appears to be a bit where the piste markers and the skiers differ as to the 'proper' / safest / quickest / easiest / most fun line, so a wide choice of routes offered and taken: and finally sanctuary, as you emerge battered, but hopefully unbruised, and with adrenalin running at a high level, onto the 'Mont Blanc' cruiser / forest.

Its what's known as a bit of a challenge. But only a red... ( see "Piste" thread on gradings - " there has to be a black, a red and a blue off the lift, so which one shall we call red....? ").

Love it! Very Happy
ski holidays
JimW, spot on! No moguls yesterday, just deep, deep powder. And I think what swings it for me is that so few people find their way there - the Deux Têtes drag was as ever closed, and Comborcière isn't everyone's favourite lift, the few people on it yesterday headed straight back down the black.

From the top of Comborcière I stood at the top of the first rise you have no choice but to pole along. No tracks then, as I'd happened on Comborcière just as Malgovert opened. After a couple of minutes working up the courage to straightline the powder to get enough speed up for the climb on the other side, one guy kindly came along and put down some tracks for me - or, at least, on the downhill section. He faceplanted as soon as he reached the dip at the bottom Very Happy. I blasted down his line and whizzed past him to make it to the top unscathed and the run opens up in front of you, an untouched powder field overlooking the valley. I opted for the lefthand fork the first time.
Quote:

Natural terrain - variation, views and then you still get to carve down Mont Blanc.
You emerge opposite the top of the Mont Blanc lift, so I just went straight on, through the forest.

It was later on, when it was getting pretty tracked, that I took the above photo - I was a fair distance off piste to the left of the run at the time.
snow report
PG, how's it looking today -have the rains hit Sad
ski holidays
PG, Can't agree more about the Malgovert - it's a fantastic run. Did it quite a few times a couple of weeks ago (when we had ridiculous amounts of snow). Quite delightful.
latest report
doogo, it was fine early this morning, a top-up of fresh powder on the Malgovert and the Deux Têtes black still had some untouched areas of snow. Didn't last long though - the Deux Têtes drag was working and a couple of ESF instructors had groups out on both runs.

Could see the black clouds gathering though, and by 1pm the drizzle was climbing higher and higher. Even up in the 2000 basin, it was really just saturated sleet coming down by the time I left. The snowline must be up around 2100/2200m right now, exactly as Meteo France predicted. At least it's not raining too hard....
ski holidays
I'm sitting in the Mont Blanc bar in Vallandry. It was raining as I came up a couple of hours ago and still is now. Can't complain though, this is the end of my fourth week here and it ha been absolutely fantastic.
snow conditions
Quote:
I'm sitting in the Mont Blanc bar in Vallandry
They won't let me in there because I'm not under 16 Wink Very Happy
snow conditions
PG, Very Happy Very Happy

Thought snow good today - a bit heavy in places, but the tress around malgovert were great. Bit rainy further down though.... Mad
snow report
flying_squirrel, don't know what time you were there? - I gave up just after lunch. Early this morning (9.30ish) it was still pretty cold, conditions holding up well on Deux Têtes and on and around Malgovert. Things begin to deteriorate rapidly just after midday though... from what I can see, the snowline looks as if it's still up around 2200m... not raining heavily though.
snow report
raining properly in Peisey-Vallandry now................
snow report
Doesn't bear thinking about, all this lovely snow was there just this morning....

On Malgovert, third run down of the morning....

Across on Deux Tetes, even late morning few people around, and still room to make fresh tracks on piste...
latest report
Fantastic morning yesterday in Peisey-Vallandry, the face to the left of Plan Bois and trees below had 10inches of fresh snow on them. Clear blue skies as well.
Unfortuantely most of Arcs2000 was closed off while they blasted it all. Lots of big slides all over the place, so beware!!
ski holidays
Considerably cooler than expected this morning. Although snowline is still high, at Les Arcs it's not up to the predicted 2000/2200m as suggested by Meteo France right now. Daughter just back, said it was snowing above 1800m. Son up there all day, so will report in on this afternoon's conditions later.

It's been coming down pretty heavily again. At this rate there should be another 10/15cms above 1800m by early evening.

Tomorrow through Monday, temps coming right down, snowline around 1400m Smile
ski holidays
Oh - I wish I was going away again before the end of the season. NehNeh
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
*cartman*
I hate you guts so very, very much...
*end cartman*
snow report
Paul Mason, But if we were going to go wouldn't it be nice to go somewhere with good weather and snow, and surrounded by lots of fun people at a very reasonable price. Ah we can but wish Twisted Evil
ski holidays
Just got back and would like to echo PG, 's comments about Wednesday - it was a fantastic day especially when the light improved for a moment or two. We spent all day on the Villaroger side where the snow was deep and light until lower down later in the day.

Had a week of almost every weather condition from mid Summer like temps on Sunday to Artic cold, snow, wind and white out on Tuesday afternoon. It was very warm on Friday after heavy rain/snow overnight which caused some major slides, one of which closed the Villaroger side and just missed the Soliet restuarant ( AKA Henri's ). I have some photos of this taken from over the other side of the valley which are quite awesome - especially as it has taken out the area we were skiing offpiste in on Wednesday.

Avalanche!!
latest report
Arrived at 1950 about 2pm on Saturday. Heavy rain from Moutiers to BSM and 8 degrees at BSM according to my hire car's temp gauge. Rain turned to snow just before 1600 as we came up and it was starting to settle on the road as we got to 1950. Continued snowing off and on for the rest of the afternoon but for a very small amount of time it was sleet just above 2000 and rain in 1950.

Woke up this morning to beautiful blue skies and were told to make the best of the early weather as clouds and snow were forecast for this pm. Fantastic morning's skiing with the snow in as good a condition as I have experienced in my four trips to Les Arcs - from top of Marmottes upwards, there looked to be about 15-20cm of fresh snow.

As forecast, clouded up about 1pm but cooler than yesterday so light snowfalls this pm. Snow eased off mid afternoon but started about 8:30pm here and in my walk through the village to this internet terminal, its really coming down hard - in an hour and three quarters I would say its put down about 5cm in 1950 village - also noticeably cooler from later afternoon so the snow line should be a fair bit lower for tonights snow.

Much mirth in the resort at the moment as some marketing people from Sony bought a Hummer equipped with 3 PSPs up this afternoon for people to try out - just been watching them using it to try to drag a Dodge pick up truck through the fresh snow - which is already on top about 30cm off fairly soft snow from the temps of +4 or 5c we had this afternoon Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy

Great days skiing for all four of the Bungle clan - snow depths here are just fine - far more than our week in April last year and January this year - and from a quick look at the GFS charts, seems to me the temps are going to stay reasonably cold (for the time of the year) for the next few days Very Happy Very Happy
snow report
I posted this on another thread about a friend in LP who reports massive snow everywhere today.

And I know he must be excited about it as he has just txt me in the middle of a run..!!!
ski holidays
CP wrote:
I have some photos of this taken from over the other side of the valley which are quite awesome - especially as it has taken out the area we were skiing offpiste in on Wednesday.

Avalanche!!

Wow, that's a big slide! Did it go by itself, or did a skier/pisteur help it on its way?
ski holidays
CP, Shocked I was down that area myself ( in Feb) this year. I wondered why the guide gave me a tranceiver.
ski holidays
rob@rar.org.uk wrote:

Wow, that's a big slide! Did it go by itself, or did a skier/pisteur help it on its way?

The high slide to the left of the barriers was set off by the Gasex, the other higher ones under the barriers look like they were pisteur induced - there was a lot of banging going on up there from early in the morning.

If you look down to the right and left above the Solliet Restaurant there is a ridge which is the left side of a long pisted gun barrel, aka Rattle Snake Alley, where the Red Aiguille Rouge piste meets the Blue Lys piste. We think the impact of the slide above it filled the gun barrel and caused the lower slides.
snow conditions
the snow today was amazing i love the link to La Plagne lets hope it does not get to warm this time
snow report
hi pg what are ur plans for the meet coming up i will be around now
snow report
PG, those pic's grrrrr check my web site in my sig and see the difference from when I was there a few weeks ago
snow report
A ton of powder above 1900m right now! Very Happy ... but I've had little chance to profit from it, loads of races at the moment. Good fun though! (click on thumbnail pics for high res images)

Time to relax, free food all round, bbq in front of the Ski Club chalet at Arc 1600...

Joël Chenal, Olympic Giant Slalom silver medallist, at Les Arcs today...

Joël Chenal in Les Arcs today with his former ski study teacher at the Bourg St Maurice college, Michel Folliet...
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy