Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Salomon Focus W or Equivalent

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
My wife wants to buy some skis. At the end of this holiday we'll have done a total of seven weeks in the alps (since April 2012 - plus about two weeks of lessons in Hemel before the first time we hit the Alps), so it's safe to say that we're hooked on skiing and buying will be a good investment - I shudder to think how much we've spent on ski hire so far! We tend to drive to the Alps (three kids, it's just easier to take everything in the car), so carriage isn't a problem.

By some extraordinary coincidence my wife has had exactly the same skis for the last three times we've hired - last Christmas here in Chamrousse with sport2000, then again in Zermatt with Intersport, and now again in Chamrousse but with Skiset. Every single time she has received a set of these:

so she'll have had five weeks of skiing on them by the end of this rental period, and she's been very happy with them, so she'd like to buy a set - so she sent me on a mission to find a pair to buy...and it seems quite impossible! They are skis from the 2010/11 season according to:

Code:
http://www.skiset.co.uk/ski-equipment/skis-salomon-2010.html

but I've scoured eBay and forums and everywhere on the internet and can't even find a pair to buy used.

So -- anyone have any thoughts as to either how I could find a pair to buy? I've thought about maybe making the ski hire place we have them from now an offer - is that generally done? They have Salomon Atomic bindings on them (and my wife wears Salomon atomic boots), and they seem to be in good condition, but I know very little about skis and bindings. Would you buy ex-hire skis? How would I tell if they have any life left in them? Where else could I look?

Or, failing that, what other more current (and therefore possible to buy) skis would be similar to these? Do Salomon have an "upgrade chart"? We don't necessarily need something up to date and current season, but I do want to make sure we buy something she's comfortable with Happy

Many thanks,

-simon
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
The Salomon Focus is a rental ski I think, I bought some for my wife and they were great, we only paid £180 so if they are cheap then.go for it !!
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
What do you mean by "a rental ski"? One that they only sell for the rental market? How would that differ from skis sold retail?

Anyone have any thoughts on my two questions:

Quote:
I've thought about maybe making the ski hire place we have them from now an offer - is that generally done? They have Salomon Atomic bindings on them (and my wife wears Salomon atomic boots), and they seem to be in good condition, but I know very little about skis and bindings. Would you buy ex-hire skis? How would I tell if they have any life left in them?

Quote:
Or, failing that, what other more current (and therefore possible to buy) skis would be similar to these? Do Salomon have an "upgrade chart"? We don't necessarily need something up to date and current season, but I do want to make sure we buy something she's comfortable with

Many thanks,

-simon
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
Szymon, Rental skis have a slightly different binding and some different components to shop sold skis.

The pure white

http://www.salomon.com/uk/product/pure-white---l10-w.html

or the Bamboo are the closest retail equivalent.

http://www.salomon.com/uk/product/bamboo---z10-ti-w.html
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Thanks much for that Fattes13, really helpful!

Interesting about rental skis having different "bits" - I can't find any kind of description on the internet of what they might be, my google-fu is weak :-|

I asked in the shop today if they'd be willing to sell the skis she has hired, and they said they don't usually sell until end of season...but I can ask again at the end of next week when we leave.

Cheers,

-simon
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
Szymon, Variations on the bindings, movable rather than fixed, slightly heavier components in the bindings, slightly stronger wearing petex for rentals and some other cosmetic stuff.
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy