Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Public transport in French Alps ski area.

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
I'm hopefully going to do a last minute booking to ski for a week with elder mini SB on 18th Jan somewhere in the French Alps. Not a problem. (Hopefully)

To complicate things, Brother in law has just asked if i want to join a boys week '"somewhere in the French Alps" starting on the 11th Jan, the week before.
Would be crazy to fly back to the UK and then back out again on the same day and flights would have to fit in with each other.

Embarrassed by my ignorance of the actual scale of the French ski area geographically I have to ask,how hard would it be to go from a random resort to another by public transport in a day? Is this doable and would it cost a leg and an arm? Thanks.
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
The train service is pretty comprehensive, possible a train to / from Chambery etc. Staions at Moutier, Aime, BSM etc.

See

http://www.ter-sncf.com/Regions/Rhone_Alpes/fr/Default.aspx

That should give you a starting point
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Trains and coaches make it all relatively simple. And if, for example, you headed to the Tarentaise you'd have Espace Killy (Tignes / Val d'Isere), Paradiski (Les Arcs / La Plagne), 3 Valleys (Courchevel, Meribel, Val Thorens) plus La Rosiere and Ste Foy to choose from, all of which are quite simple to get to and from using public transport.

In any case, if you do decide upon two resorts further apart the transport system is very good so you'll have little trouble, as daunting as it may seem. Just a little pre-planning needed, and all the schedules etc that you need are easily found online.
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
How old is elder mini SB?? Airlines have quite strict limits on the age of un-accompanied minors and many airlines just ban them - and those which do allow will charge you an additional ~£70 per leg.

One common way of transferring between resorts is to take a transfer to Geneva, and then the other resorts transfer from Geneva. It takes ages and can cost a bundle, but works for most resorts.
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
RobW wrote:
How old is elder mini SB??

She's 20 and has worked two seasons. Smile
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
http://www.altibus.com/
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
sequoiaboard,

this may help: http://www.french-alps.net/maps/french-alps-map.html - I used to have a far better one, but can't find (damn you favourites...) - you'll need to zoom in and out a bit to get the resort names clearly, but should give you some sense of scale at least.
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
I believe you'll be entirely fine with eblunt and altis recomendations.

The only thing I would like to add is that if you are ski-ing somewhere in the 73 (Maurienne, Tarentaise for example) and your party goes to somewhere in the 74 (eg. Chamonix, Les Carroz, Flaine) then you might be in for a longer transfer with a change of trains either in Chambery, Aix les Bains or Culoz. If they opt for Huez, les 7 Laux, la Grave then make you way down to Grenoble. Also make sure they are not going to book somewhere south (les Orres, Isola, Serre-Chevalier...) if you are finding yourself north, and conversely, as then the commute between both resorts is going to be long, through Cahmbery and Grenoble and even possibly through Lyon depending on transportation available and their timetables.

If you commute between Maurienne and Tarentaise do not even bother going all the way to Chambery. Stop in St Pierre d'Albigny which is the key station between the two valleys or fetch a coach to Albertville.

Your main coach stations are St Jean de Maurienne for the eponymous valley and Albertville, Moutiers and Bourg Saint Maurice for the Tarentaise and Valee de Belleville (For the latter Moutiers is best).
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
sequoiaboard, Should be okay to look after herself then!
Madeye-Smiley
latest report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
sequoiaboard, travel really light (no skis) and hitch.
snow conditions
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
sequoiaboard, as long as each random area is within easy reach of a station you should be fine. You might end up transferring back to,say, Geneva airport and back out again, but almost certainly no need to fly all the way back to the UK...
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy