Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Cervinia - no skier

Poster: A snowHead
Hello fellow Snowheads.

A bit of advice please. I'm heading to Cervinia with my mum who doesn't ski. Does anyone know whether she will be able to get over to Zermatt to meet us for a slap up mountain lunch on foot using the lifts?

Any info or advice gratefully received.

Thanks in advance.
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
I'm not 100% certain but having been to Zermatt twice and looking at the map again I don't think you can do it on foot.
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Thanks Claude. That's a shame but I suspected as much. I don't suppose you have any other pearls of wisdom on the area in general seeing as you've been a couple of times? If so, I'm all ears.
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Hawko, There may be someone comes who knows a way, I can't see one though. I haven't been for a few years and stayed over in Zermatt. A favourite of mine is skiing from the top, cable car from Zermatt but I think there is another route from Cervinia, down to Valtournenche. It's 22km, longest run in Europe, and really gets the heart pumping. There are a lot of nice runs in Cervinia but they're all perfectly pisted and similar and I can't remember which is which. There's a lot more variety in Zermatt but make sure you get back in time. Lunches (in fact everything) are far cheaper in Cervinia.

Oh and the view of the Matterhorn is better from Switzerland not that it's too shabby the other side.
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Cheers Claude. All very useful. Are you getting away anywhere this season? Perhaps I can reciprocate with some insights of my own as I've been to most European resorts.....
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Hawko, Yes I'm spending a lot of time in Les Deux Alpes this winter. I've already had 12 weeks+ there though so know it like the back of my hand. Thanks anyway.
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Hawko, as you have been to most European ski resorts, can you tell me anything about Neiderau? I have heard it is up there with 3 Valleys and Val d'Isere
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
srevell5, looks to be half the size by #s of lifts and pistes than E.K.
latest report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
srevell5, I don't know too much about Neiderau tbh but when I called up for a last minute NY trip for one last week, I was told that it was literally all that was available. This tells me it's monumentally awful. I hope you haven't booked to go there....
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
When are you going to Cervinia? I'm off Jan 11th-18th Madeye-Smiley
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Hey Dr Rock. Yeah Mum and I will be there then! Fingers crossed for good snow!!
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
that's a shame.. i was just about to book Niederau for myself - probably the last room left for New Year's! Maybe I will just go to Cervinia in January then Happy
latest report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Hawko,
I'm pretty sure you can't get over to Zermatt from Cervinia on foot but I can recommend the Chalet Etoile on the Cervinia side for an excellent meal and this can be reached on foot. There's also an atmospheric restaurant at the top of the cable car that goes up from Cervinia to the Plateau Rosa and this can be reached on foot from the cable car. The food is OK but the views are amazing. Another Cervinia restaurant that can be reached on foot and serves very good food is the Clochards. We also tried the new restaurant at the foot of the Valtournenche pistes - apologies, can't remember the name but it was very good and I think could be reached by bus from Cervinia.
The restaurants on the Zermatt side are certainly well worth visiting but the Italian side can hold its own and I'm sure your mother won't be disappointed.
Hope you have a great holiday.
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Hawko
It wouldn't be possible to get on foot right down into the Zermatt ski area, but by a couple of bubbles and a cable car she could get up to Plateau Rosa/Testa Grigia, just below the cable car arrival point (100 m maybe) on the right is the Refugio des guides which is technically still in Italy, but has amazing views and serves simple but perfectly nice food. Also fantastic coffee grappa and hot chocolate. Of course your Mum would have to be happy enough to descend the same way and it is very high, with some people suffering headaches and so on at that altitude. If she had any health issues, blood pressure and so on it might not be advised, but assuming she is reasonably fit and up for a bit of an adventure, it might be fun? Would let her see both Italy and Switzerland.. Maybe look into it a bit further and see how feasible it seems for her personally ...
I would just double check when you are there that this is ok but I'm pretty sure I have seen pedestrians up there before..
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Thanks Snowheads! Really appreciate all the help. Mum and I can't wait!
snow conditions
You can't wait? I'm going nutso waiting...
Where are you staying in Cervinia?
snow report
Club Med mate. You?
snow conditions
Hotel Europa.
Opposite side of town to the last time we were there in 2009...
latest report
Nice. Fancy meeting for a beer as Mum will probably be in bed by 9pm?
snow report
srevell5, I'm off to Niederau end of Jan and have been last 2 years. It's a good resort but limited if you're a good skier/boarder. You are linked to Alpbach and Auffach so there are a decent amount of runs to keep you occupied. Nightlife is okay but not ideal if you're a party animal. Depends on what you're after but being an intermediate boarder and going on my own it suits me perfectly.
snow report
Could do- I'm in a group of 12- May have a venture out into town to the bars one night..
snow conditions
Thanks Graucho - sadly I missed the boat on that room. Maybe next year I will be able to get out there!
latest report
Cool, I may take you up on that. What's the legal drinking age in Italy I wonder...? I hear they're pretty relaxed about it!
snow conditions
Hawko, Take a sledge
ski holidays
That is all good advice from Welshcakes, based on my 10 or so stays in Cervinia.

Not a great place for non skiers tbh, but breathtaking views to be had. If Mum is happy just soaking it all up, then that's great. Think the club med hotel has some good views from memory.
latest report
Cervinia isn't really the place for good skiers either - lots of motorway cruising. The tougher skiing is almost all on the Zermatt side.
And the Matterhorn has a different name (Mont Cervin) on the Italian side, so it is absolutely true that the best view of it is from Switzerland.
snow report
Yo snowheads - Our group of 6 is back in Cervinia from 12th Jan for a week staying at the Edelweiss. See y'all in the Copa Pan bar for happy hour!! (every afternoon from 4 til 5) 2 for 1 on all drinks - dunno about you but we're all spitting feathers 'ere! Hawko - bring your mum she'll love it. You'll recognise me by my 'mid life crisis' lime green ski jacket usually wearing a stupid hat drinkin double vodka cranberry(!) Oh and Hawko - really nice restaurant in Cervinia village centre is 'Jour et Nuit'. Fabulous grills and steaks cooked in an original pizza oven. Owned by Luca, a local ski instructor and wine expert- just brilliant. Booking recommended. The snow's looking great at the mo. Madeye-Smiley
snow report
Luca... "Can we see the wine list"? "I am the wine list."
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy