Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Vest/gilet recommendations?

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
Hi, been looking at adding a (down?) vest into my layering system this year as skiing in -23 last year really hit me in the core. One day was -40 with wind chill and just way too cold for what I had, other than chucking 3 more layers on! Ideally want a thinish layer but with maximum warmth, breathability also pretty important as I do tend to sweat a lot.

Skiing only in January in the Alps but next year plan a trip out West in the US.

Wearing most likely merino wool base layer, decent mid layer fleece plus my new Arc'Teryx Gamma MX Hoody which I think will be fine for most days. Thinking a vest might be good to add rather than another jacket as that will add bulk in the arms. The jacket I bought slightly over sized to allow a good few layers to be worn underneath.

So far I have considered:

Patagonia Nano Puff Vest

Mountain Equipment Mens Compressor Vest

Haglofs Essens II Down Vest

Bearing in mind I take an XXL in most makes (6' 4" and 47 inch chest) I am struggling to find much!

Anybody had much experience with any of these? Thanks

Last edited by Poster: A snowHead on Mon 23-12-13 10:45; edited 1 time in total
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
If you sweat maybe go for the new primaloft synthetic, it's only a shade behind down or even on a par in terms of warmth but better with moisture.
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Avalanche Poodle, Thanks, I like Patagonia stuff and am leaning towards that one at the moment, found one on Amazon for £80 - seems pretty reasonable as EB have them for £99.
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
I've recently been looking at several options for an extra layer that's light and packable for use whilst resort skiing and touring. Still not entirely decided between a vest or jacket although I'm leaning towards a jacket, just without a hood to avoid it feeling weird under my shell.

I got both the Mountain Hardwear Nitrous and Ghost Whisperer at a good sale price from Cotswolds. They were excellent jackets but I sent both back as they were just far too roomy a fit. I'm a skinny 6'6", so I have to order XL to make sure the arms are long enough but often find that clothes tend to get wider more than they get longer as you go up the sizes Sad. I've just had a Marmot Quasar jacket delivered which is better but still feels a bit baggy so I think that will have to go back too.

I think in general the European brands tend to be a slimmer fit than the Americans (can't think why wink), so I will probably end up with Rab Microlight, Montane Featherlight or Haglofs Essens II.

Or maybe I should go for a vest instead in a L and not have to worry about the arms being short (and save a few quid)!

I haven't looked at any of the Primaloft options. The DWR on the down jackets will easily cope with snow and if it's really wet it'll be under a shell anyway. Hadn't really thought about it getting wet from the inside though...
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Just bought my wife a down gilet in SuperDry, looks pretty good quality and very light and packable. Had a look at the mens stuff and the XXL fitted me quite nicely and there wasn't much spare around the gut - I have a 48" chest but only a 38" waist so normally find stuff that fits my shoulders/chest is way too baggy around the tum.

I've always been a bit snobby about SuperDry thinking it more fashion-wear rather than decent outdoor clothing but I was very pleasantly surprised by the quailty and price of their gear - and, of course, you'll be "down with the kids" Very Happy
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
swishtony, .... I got a Vist 816 ski gilet for sale. Size XXL, a loose fit on me (46" chest). It's silver in colour, with red inner collar, and black logo/trim. Never worn, so BNWOT. £75 delivered.
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
http://www.phdesigns.co.uk/product_info.php?cat=139&products_id=112 I use a PHD gilet for the cold days. Not the prettiest but really light, warm and packable.
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
swishtony, i have an Arcteryx Nano jacket whci also comes in sleeveless versin and I am astonished by its versatility.
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Thanks all for the replies. skimastaaah, sorry ordered the Patagonia before I saw your message. Read some good reviews of it so decided to go with that.
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy