Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Great Drills

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
We have all had drills that have made a big difference to our skiing. Let's share some of them here.

I'll start with one I learned this past week while at Copper for the day. Jeff Stump, one of our trainers, showed me a move at lunch that he had learned from Tom Metz that I call the marionette drill:

Visualize a marionette string starting in your right hand, going through your right knee, your left knee, into your left hand as you hold your hands about 6" to the side of your knees. As you move your right hand right and up, it pulls your knees to the right and your left hand to the right, as well. Your shoulders counter as you make this movement, too, since that string pulls all the way through. Pull the string to the left, now. Your feet are tipping, your knees moving, and your hands creating an appropriate alignment.

I found playing with this drill on flat terrain created a set of sensations that I could then take to my skiing and make a real difference, especially in my arcing. Jeff saw me later and commented on how far I was getting my feet out away from my body. I credit my ability to improve in that movement to this drill and a few other inputs into movements to make and sensations to seek.

What about you? What drills have helped you?
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
I find boot touch to be a really good drill...............
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Doing a series of linked one legged turns but turning on the downhill leg made a massive difference to my balance and ability to recover from upsets and unseen bumps. Difficult to do smoothly at my level.
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
gryphea wrote:

Some women don't like it when you start touching their boots Shocked
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Avalanche Poodle wrote:
gryphea wrote:

Some women don't like it when you start touching their boots Shocked
Avalanche Poodle, Laughing
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
Quote:

Doing a series of linked one legged turns but turning on the downhill leg

do you mean the uphill leg? The downhill leg is the easy one. I'm trying to envisage the OP's drill but sitting with a cup of tea and a laptop doesn't quite work - sounds very good - will try standing up later, and even possibly on skis!
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
pam w, I think he means turning from the downhill leg until it becomes the uphill leg. Or more simply standing on the inside ski.

As for the OP there needs to be diagrams!
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
meh, Yup, turning on the wrong leg. Traverse on the DH leg, then turn so it becomes the uphill. Swap legs and continue.
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
pam w wrote:
Quote:

Doing a series of linked one legged turns but turning on the downhill leg

do you mean the uphill leg? The downhill leg is the easy one. I'm trying to envisage the OP's drill but sitting with a cup of tea and a laptop doesn't quite work - sounds very good - will try standing up later, and even possibly on skis!

Laughing Laughing Laughing
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
I had huge success with really slow snowploughs with rob@rar - a review of the resulting video really showed me the twisting of the foot that I needed to do to achieve a steered turn. That realisation was the key to the doing (and I think I'm well on the way to getting it cracked Very Happy I have also decided that a good steered turn is at least as hard to achieve as a carved turn - now that might make a thread!!).

Once I had the idea of the steered turn Rob introduced the concept of holding my poles tightly high up under my armpits and making a point then keeping the point facing downhill as I executed the afore mentioned steered turns down the slope - the idea being to encourage separation which is my next thing to crack - this concept of making the legs and skis do and go in different directions from the hips down.

Brilliant drills - I think my skiing is improving every time I get on the slope. Very Happy
snow conditions
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
The trick with drills is using the right one at the right time to develop the right thing. Even the 'best' drill can be used inappropriately.
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy