Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

St Anton - “non-slip” snow

Poster: A snowHead
Hi guys - long time lurker with a question.

Have been checking the snow reports for St Anton - not great yet - and snow condition is described as “non-slip”. I'm guessing its a translation thing but has anyone got any ideas.
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Got a link?
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
That would help I guess,

http://www.j2ski.com/snow_forecast/Austria/St_Anton_am_Arlberg_snow.html
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Bizarre. I don't know where they might be translating that from, or how anything like that might work in German in the first place.

The actual St Anton website snow report states 'perfect powder' which is equally bollox though.
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
It's a machine translation of griiffig. I'd read "griffig" snow as grippy or firm.
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
grippy
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
griffig - packed powder, groomed snow
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
The St Anton site was previously showing same "non-slip” description before changing it to 'perfect powder' which was doubly confusing.

That's cleared that up though. Thanks
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Evening all... Smile
clarky999 wrote:
Bizarre. I don't know where they might be translating that from, or how anything like that might work in German in the first place.

We were pulling it from here - http://www.skiarlberg.at/arl/west/en/winter/content/snow

But flicking to the German version (of that page) shows Noza to be correct... so we're using "Firm" now

clarky999 wrote:
The actual St Anton website snow report states 'perfect powder' which is equally bollox though.

Unfortunately we're not yet able to detect when we should translate "perfect powder" to "bollox" though... would come in handy for several resorts we could name... Cool
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
We have snow on the pistes Top to bottom in town. Its white & thousands of folk are skiing it today.

Pistes are in Perfect condition.

Off Piste is thin & dangerous but Off Piste this early in the season is for tourists who know no difference & just pay for any old poop.

Best experience off piste mid February to May.
snow conditions
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
J2Dave, Laughing

Thanks for the clarification!
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
stanton, first time I've skied on perfect pistes with stones & grass on them Puzzled
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
welshskier,

If you ski stones & grass you need to go back to ski school. Learn to tighten your turns so you can see the obstacles in front of you. Make about 3 ir 4 turns for the 1 you do now.

Very Happy

Folks the pistes are in top shape & thats coming from someone who hates grooming Skullie
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
stanton, I didn't say I skied on them, just that they were there, and for me that is not perfect. Better skiers than me were complaining last week.
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
welshskier,
You must be American Very Happy
latest report
Quote:

If you ski stones & grass you need to go back to ski school. Learn to tighten your turns so you can see the obstacles in front of you. Make about 3 ir 4 turns for the 1 you do now

But on perfect pistes you don't have to adjust the size of your turns to miss the grass and gravel.
snow conditions
stanton, I skied them too. They had areas where the gravel was unavoidable, and rocks sticking through the piste. Do you work for the tourist board, or have you just not seen what a perfect piste looks like?
snow report
Few stones and grass showing though in places, but none of it is unavoidable from what I've seen. Given the conditions we've had, they've done a very good job with the pistes. Hopefully the rain we've got in resort as I type will be snow higher up and change to snow down here. Even though it's more work for me, I do actually want snow to have to clear from the driveway/balconies!
snow report
Ive been skiing the pistes everyday the last 10 days and have not hit one rock.

Not sure where you been skiing.

IMO. A perfect piste would be one that didnt exist Shock

. Stop the Brutal Grooming.

Noi dont work for the tourist board . I put up an impotant independent view. Very Happy
snow report
stanton, I am not American, and I'm not sure what difference it would make. You introduced the word "perfect", although you now say there are no perfect pistes. Readers of this thread might like to make their own minds up as to which of us is independent. I was at St Anton last week and saw objects looking remarkably stone like on piste 24 & 25, and elsewhere in the Arleberg there were lots more. I think the slopes were as well prepared as they could have been given the lack of recent snow, and snow cannons were much in evidence.
snow report
I cant comment on the conditions that have been subject of the recent posts. From my experience of St Anton, the snow reports are often wrong. For example, the pistes are reported as 'perfect' when they are are soft, slushy. Perfect is also used when the pistes are packed with cold, grippy snow. Makes no sense to me.
Hope the conditions have improved!
ski holidays
Kaisr Sose,

You want to much.

The pistes are perfect condition, if it wasnt for kunstschnee
you be skiing grass. Stop complaining this is an ski gebeit for
advanced thrill seekers.

Your lucky they groomed ad much as they have ad years ago
half if whats they groom today was left ungroomed.
ski holidays
stanton,
Why get so defensive if you have nothing at stake here?
Don't make assumptions about anyone or their ability. I have skied over 100 days in St Anton-and most of that is off piste, anywhere on the mountain and extended Arlberg region. Don't patronise people-it does not suit you or St Anton.

It's a fact-the snow reports from St Anton are regularally overstated. Dont get me wrong, St Anton is a great place to ski but they, TVB St A, rely too much on their reputation. A reputation is not guaranteed to last forever (cradle of alpine skiig or not) and other resorts now offer much better value for all level of skier.

Groomed piste is a minimum standard in any resort. As for your reliance on using select German words to show you know something others don't, bully for you! The principle language of snowheads and this thread is English.

Last edited by After all it is free Go on u know u want to! on Thu 2-01-14 14:10; edited 1 time in total
snow report
Kaisr Sose, +1 the snow reports from STA are often exaggerated.
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy