Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Fore-aft balance: survey results

Poster: A snowHead
In March 2013 we posted a link to a short SurveyMonkey survey on Snowheads, and 3 other English-language forums

The survey was to discover where skiers believe they should focus their fore/aft balance - in other words, the centre of pressure on the sole of the foot (or ski boot) while skiing.

To the best of our knowledge, this has not been researched before.

We promised to feedback the results, after presenting at the International Science and Skiing Congress (ICSS) ... so we've now posted the results on:

http://skibalance.info

Thanks very much for your help
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
balance survey, s there a summary of the findings?
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
holidayloverxx, here:

http://skibalance.info/page11.php
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
holidayloverxx, it says your bum is big . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . (can I run fast enough?)
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Very mixed bag of results Puzzled particularly from a sample containing so many advanced and professional skiers. That does raise the question of teaching standards (not in a pejorative way from me, genuine interest) .
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
Masque, if you think you can run fast enough, keep going..... Laughing
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
balance survey wrote:

We promised to feedback the results, after presenting at the International Science and Skiing Congress (ICSS) ... so we've now posted the results on:

http://skibalance.info

Thanks very much for your help

Thanks for coming back to us with the results balance survey.

The majority don't Sad

Considerations for further study might include the forward lean angle of the ski boot cuff.

I had an instance last week where a more experienced skier was struggling to achieve whole foot pivotting when compared with an intermediate skier because the experienced skier had a forward lean of 23.5 degrees compared with 14 degrees for the intermediate skier.

The experienced skier knew where he wanted to put his balance but the equipment limited his execution.

PM Me if you'd like to discuss further.

Did you enjoy the ICSS?

I attended the first one back in 1996. Tremendous time. Very Happy
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Mike Pow, That AND binding 'ramp angle'.

Quote:
The experienced skier knew where he wanted to put his balance but the equipment limited his execution
There is a discussion there on the ability/willingness of the skier to adapt/compensate/use as designed to be, their equipment. We are all guilty of over-specifying our equipment with the self belief that 'we will grow into it' wink
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Masque wrote:
Mike Pow, That AND binding 'ramp angle'.

Absolutely.

Mike Pow wrote:
The experienced skier knew where he wanted to put his balance but the equipment limited his execution

Masque wrote:
There is a discussion there on the ability/willingness of the skier to adapt/compensate/use as designed to be, their equipment. We are all guilty of over-specifying our equipment with the self belief that 'we will grow into it' wink

There was definitely ability and willingness.

He's geting new boots.
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
Masque, "We are all guilty of over-specifying our equipment with the self belief that 'we will grow into it' "

No. We're not. Not all of us.
snow conditions
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
under a new name wrote:
+1
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
rob@rar wrote:
under a new name wrote:
+1

Agreed.
latest report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
That touched a nerve Toofy Grin
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Masque wrote:
Very mixed bag of results Puzzled particularly from a sample containing so many advanced and professional skiers. That does raise the question of teaching standards (not in a pejorative way from me, genuine interest) .

Not 'standard' as such, but methods. Just as you can see varying styles of skiing from different nations (see the Interski comparisons videos), it could be that those styles lend themselves to differing pressures/angles/variations throughout the turn.

It'd be interesting to see how the pressure positioning breaks down based on teaching methodology that they were taught with.
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
It might just show that people can't reliably self-report where they actually balance via a web survey. NehNeh
snow report
meh, aye!
snow report
I tried to change the e-mail linked to my account and managed to deactivate it Embarassed
...so have re-registered on this account

Quote:

It might just show that people can't reliably self-report where they actually balance via a web survey.

Remember, the survey hasn't measured where people actually balance, which is a whole other research project - it's where they aim to balance, and therefore purely assessing knowledge/beliefs
snow report
I've just swapped my binding mounting 20mm forward. It'll be interesting noting the perceived difference. They are twin tips though so it'll make park stuff easier.
latest report
Avalanche Poodle, i suspect you will perceive a difference but an hinest observer would not snowHead
ski holidays
under a new name, I'll probably not notice as it'll be the first ski of the season. I'll still be getting my ski legs in Laughing Riding switch might be easier.
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy