Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Eurotunnel - current status from travelling SHs

Poster: A snowHead
Any problems today? My train is 18.50.
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Anyone using Le Tunnel: fairly quiet. Not been bumped to earlier train but not to a later either. No queues in fast good or toilets. Happy days.
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Was fine last night on return. Arrived 5.15 for 8pm crossing and was on 6.20 one

Still my preferred way of crossing despite the hold up on way out
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
andy, you can have unforeseen capacity when a lot of folk turn up to book on day. No way to predict that apart from average use. I know you prefer ferries but at least tunnel was running in bad weather which cancelled ferries last week wink

You can leave the terminal and return later. Ask at info desk in terminal and you get a new pass to return with.
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
the ferries were running when ET was chaotic carnage, and with the breeze/rain of that day, i doubt they'd have much significant delay either. and I've travelled back on 27th/28th every year for the last decade, and never seen what I would call capacity issue. even if the ferry were "very busy", the parking etc. arrangements at dover p155 all over those at ET.

The carpark was full. people had abandoned cars on the roundabout, on double yellows, all over the place, yet they refused to let me use the half empty overflow carpark. so I half abandoned mine on a a ped. crossing. sod 'em.

i'm sure on most days it's quite swift, but then the ferry on most days is quite swift too, other than 45mins extra crossing time.

£72 or €180 is not a difficult choice to make.
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
andy, they're both utterly pants when things go wrong ultimately

Eurotunnel always works out cheaper for me - free in Winter with Tesco vouchers and £160 return in summer with caravan, this versus a quoted £800 for ferry. Not a difficult choice to make either!

Whatever suits at end of day
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Quote:

Whatever suits at end of day

Indeed. ET suits me well, I never pay (Tesco vouchers) and driving alone I need the quickest crossing possible. Would definitely feel sea-sick on a rough ferry crossing and all that clumping up and downstairs is irritating, compared to a short snooze on the train.
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
if only we had Tesco vouchers this side of the channel, and equal pricing too. Journeys starting in Calais are about 50 more than those starting in Folkestone. Dunno why.

Preferred the Hovercraft, personally. Miss that route.
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Quote:

Preferred the Hovercraft, personally.

I did it once. The most horrendous channel crossing ever, not excluding one in a yacht which flattened its battery and had to cross the shipping lanes with no nav lights. It was very rough and the whole tin can was filled with cigarette smoke - and no chance of opening a window. Grim - quite a few people sick.

andy, that price difference seems bizarre - you can book singles, and specify where you want to start. I have never found return journeys (ie, for me, starting in Calais) to cost any more than the outward trip from Folkestone.
latest report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Just picked Sat 11th, at random, for a 10am to mid afternoon afternoon crossing.
£74-£80 Folkestone-Calais / £67-£77 on the return, with UK selected as country of residence
€104-€112 Calais-Folkestone / €99-115 with Germany selected

€104 = £86, and €99 = £82, so the cheapest available € price is more expensive than the most expensive £ price you can get from UK. So tip #1... choose UK, regardless.
(and P+O will get you change from a €100 note or change from £80 for the out+return - more than enough saving to buy some sustenance on board and a liter of something to drink in the chalet in the evenings)
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
andy, pricing is cheaper the more in advance you book, can't argue with your pricing above and obviously works for you so no reason to change

Tunnel works for me and likewise won't change
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
about the same prices for a random week in July (maybe a fiver each way off all prices)
just noticed flexi plus prices though Shocked that's up there with Newcastle-Amsterdam (which is a rip off) - does anyone actually pay that?
latest report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Car going out 6th July after 4pm - £64, coming back 19th around 8am £57
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
I did the hovercraft crossing a few times with my parents many years back, but after a very rough crossing, never again! Very uncomfortable, took much longer than scheduled, hovercraft sustained damage and so did some of the vehicles on board! It was great in good weather conditions though.

Tunnel was working just fine tonight. My husband and sons arrived roughly 3 hours ahead of schedule at Calais and were boarded immediately. No mention of any extra charge for arriving at a more expensive time! They got home barely an hour after those of us that flew. The guys and all our luggage left our hotel in Geneva around 7am, we left at around 1.30 pm to fly to Stansted.
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Andy, I don't know how often you cross but there is a ET frequent traveller with 10 or more singles for £43 each. You can nominate two users (I share with my brother). If you cross at peak times there is a supplement of £20 or £30.

Still more than the cheapest ferry but pretty close.
snow report
Just used the tunnel return journey out to Calais 21st at 0500 back 28th at 2100 and had no delays or fuss or problems. I was surprised to see this thread on my return.
latest report
jirac18, It started on 20th Dec and seems to have rumbled on
snow report
DJL, sadly (or fortunately?) I no longer travel that route enough to make a frequent traveller ticket worthwhile. Certainly used to when I lived in Kent. Seems to be £43 or €60 (£43 at current exchange rates is €51). Maybe that's how they fund the Tesco double up offers Puzzled
Most of my ferry journeys now tend to be on DFDS to Newcastle, where you literally get assraped in summer, but they do make it exciting by having fires on board Wink (hope Lampbus and Schneeflocke weren't hindered by that fire - think they were going back the other way)
snow conditions
Quote:

you literally get assraped in summer,

Shocked Shocked then I'm sticking to the Tunnel, thanks.
snow report
Hovercraft was great in good weather, loved it. Hate ferrys. Ferry = mega-sick.
ski holidays
jirac18 wrote:
Just used the tunnel return journey out to Calais 21st at 0500 back 28th at 2100 and had no delays or fuss or problems. I was surprised to see this thread on my return.

You were very sensibly travelling at off peak times Very Happy
snow report
Got the return tunnel last night. Arrived at check-in 12.50am and set off in train at 1.21am. Great timing. Mind you, it did take us 10hrs to get from Kitzbuhel to Luxemburg City due to traffic problems everywhere rolling eyes Still, home safe and sound, which is the main thing.

Sue, thanks for tip on route. Going down was a dream. Will defo use that again.
snow conditions
Not much trouble with the tunnel last night. We arrived at Calais at 21:30 and got on a train at 22:50. Only 1:20 hours wait.
latest report
Boris wrote:
jirac18, It started on 20th Dec and seems to have rumbled on

That's because I bumped it at the start of the next peak period disruption, should I have started yet another thread? There's usually an annual ET thread that rumbles on through the season anyway.

Boris I don't see why you've edited the title Puzzled

We are travelling back tomorrow, no doubt there will be disruption again as it's the peak returning weekend Sad
snow conditions
sarah, I'm sure you are right about weekend disruption. It'll be busy so the usual slippage between the train you're booked on, the one you get allocated at check-in and the one your letter finally gets allocated to after "reprogramming" is to be expected.

We hope to have gamed the system by coming via Holland for a few days and booking on a 12.20 Sunday crossing but I have no confidence it will pay off.

Keep the updates coming folks - I know it makes virtually no difference but it's nice to know what's happening.
snow report
sarah, Only as last few posts have been along the line of - what disruption came through last night - however maybe should be changed to a Sticky so anyone can update as and when

Mods?
ski holidays
Drove down this morning, hardly any traffic on the road, weather nice. Crossed a little early at 12.50. Driving off at Calais was like another world though. The weather has been horrendous. Torrential rain, wind, loads of spray, bad visibility and lots of small debris all the way to Laon. Awful drive, fortunately last leg down to Troyes by which time it was dark was much calmer. Time for a beer.
latest report
Boris, Very Happy I did know what you mean! Like this new title though, should cover everything now!

Claude B, Sad similar to us last week, heavy rain and then snow the entire journey. Expecting similar for our return tomorrow .
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
sarah, Doubt they'll be snow but plenty of rain and wind. There has been rain here in Troyes but it's dry now. At least I haven't got too far tomorrow and it shouldn't be too busy heading south.
latest report
Hour and a half delay at Calais terminal heaving!
snow conditions
Crossed on Tuesday afternoon, booked on 3.20, travelled on 2.20 left on time.
latest report
Eurotunel sent 3 txts to me today reminding me when and when not to turn up, reminding me to get passports ready and finally a special wine offer at the Calais terminal rolling eyes
snow report
I've had 2 texts, "Thank you for choosing Eurotunnel", "Get your passports ready" and I'm waiting for the next with bated breath...........NOT!

What sort of muppets do they think we are? I'm not even crossing until 'Sunday lunchtime!
ski holidays
I've set up a ringtone for the tunnel texts now - Going Underground
ski holidays
Boris, 'Train in Vain'?
snow report
"Here come's the summer" just to be contrary. (The Undertones)
ski holidays
Road to Hell
snow report
I've had the two texts too, though not the wine one sadly Sad

We are on around 5pm tomorrow, fully expecting there to be quite long delays at that time but can't really avoid it as don't really want to overnight anywhere tomorrow.
snow conditions
sarah, you don't look old enough to buy wine that's why Cool
snow report
sarah, perhaps they think you need to dry out! Lunch queue in the Perdrix Blanche is enough to drive you to drink. (I didn't get the wine offer either)
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy