Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

nx21 v Freerides

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
I'm having a hard time trying to decide what my new skis should be mounted with. I'm going to go with touring bindings because I hate trekkers, 90% of my skiing is lift served but I like the freedom just to skin up anywhere I like (Wink love Switzerland). I've had a pair (sold 'em) of Titanal III on my old AT set up and whilst they always felt they were up to the job I never really "let go" just in case.

I ski with my DIN at 12+, although the Freerides I'd set it to 11/11.5. I'm happy with the Freerides as they always feel fine to me, I think I'd give out before they did (although I did break a toe piece once). I've only skied the nx01 once and it felt a bit clunky after the Freerides.

The new nx21 should have ironed out a few issues and is meant to be an all round beefier binding. The DINs also go to 14 so I can squeeze a little more out of them. But is it good enough yet?

Anyone had EXPERIENCE (I've read the reviews, thanks) of the nx21?
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Parlor, i'm a fan of Naxo. However we don't sell them because, with so many small moving parts they are prone to failure. The Din arguement is a goog one, as you can remove the spring sleeve, cut a piece of copper pipe 22mm diameter at various lengths to give them a boost. We have had probably 60% returns due to toe pieces breaking due to to much torque. The options here for those skiing hard are the Trekker. The Pro riders use these. As for Freerides, i think they are still the best bet, much easier to repair and get spares. Small fact that may be of interest to a HELMET such as yourself though. Through our shop we sell around 200 pairs a year and return maybe 5/6 freerides. Apperently this return is more than the rest of the Alps put together. So in conclusion, unless youname is Sven, you weigh 90kg and drop 20m regularly, you should be ok with the freerides.

Will have some great info for you soon regarding use of skis over 5mm larger than the width of your ski boots. The report i have suggests the market will middle out at 112mm under foot. Look after your "MOTHERF****RS" they maybe a collectors item come 2008. Twisted Evil
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Thanks for that. I've never got used to Trekkers, I had an older version that sucked - too much lateral, too high, poor climbing bar. I know the nx01 had their issues, just figured the nx21 should have addressed a few of them. I'd have thought in the next year or two they might be comparable. My old AT rig is dead (green AK launchers, TIII). When I want to tour I can get a free rental pair but they tend to be Pocket Rockets Evil or Very Mad (maybe gots this year). I can't see the point of spending an hour or two (more when needed) to skin up something and then make turns on the way down... Twisted Evil Laughing Twisted Evil

Swinging back to Freerides (with spare toe piece). We'll see. £££ might come into it but they rrp at the same...

I think 105-115mm are perfect dimensions. I just couldn't help myself on the 130mm. £350 v £499 still in wrappers and pretty rare (my Explosives were factory stock Very Happy and still hankering for a couple of other skis that "don't exist"). Collectors item eh? Just been thinking that if they suck I WAS going to cut a swallowtail in them... Twisted Evil

Depending on bindings can you help with a break? Not sure I'm going to be able to bend a 100mm break enough. Embarassed
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy