Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Snow has returned! (Will this be a good season!?)

Poster: A snowHead
Well the snow has returned today in much of the north west and southern alps and some leaking in to eastern alps over the next 24 hours. With the possibility of a big dump for the northern alps on the GFS shown i am quietly optimistic about my trip to flaine over new year. So my question is do you guys think now that the high pressure may be gone do you think that this may be a decent season again??

I am definitely optimistic, hope you guys are to, what do you guys think of this snowfall and how much are you hoping for over the next week or so?? snowHead

Edit: Although i am optimistic, i realise that the future week is very uncertain snowHead
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Though this dump on a poor base is forecast to lead to some dangerous avalanche conditions. http://www.henrysavalanchetalk.com/attention-piste-and-touring-enthusiasts-end-week-and-next-week-december-20-2013

http://youtube.com/v/OENEEGWjRBo
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
davkt wrote:
Though this dump on a poor base is forecast to lead to some dangerous avalanche conditions. http://www.henrysavalanchetalk.com/attention-piste-and-touring-enthusiasts-end-week-and-next-week-december-20-2013

http://youtube.com/v/OENEEGWjRBo
Ofcourse always a problem, however if we stay safe then shouldn't be a problem besides the piste conditions should be good! snowHead
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
Quote:

the snow has returned today in much of the north west and southern alps

has it? Reports coming in on SHs today have been of rather little snow and a fair bit of rain in some places.
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
and whether the snow has returned today, in mid December, or not is very little indication, one way or another, of whether this will be a good season.
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
Around my way (Isere) it seems to be rain to about 1800m, although not very heavy. We were supposed to get the bulk of the snow. 15cm so far at 2300 meters. If the weather system can get further to the east it could be good for high altitude resorts like Tignes and Val Thorens.
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
pam w wrote:
Quote:

has it? Reports coming in on SHs today have been of rather little snow and a fair bit of rain in some places.
Still snow snowHead
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
pam w wrote:
and whether the snow has returned today, in mid December, or not is very little indication, one way or another, of whether this will be a good season.
I appreciate that i was simply asking what the next coming weeks predicted snowfall may be like snowHead
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Whoyton1, the one certain thing is that the outlook is very uncertain - all the forecasts seem to agree on that.

Where are you getting the information about significant snowfall?
snow conditions
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
pam w wrote:

Thank you Eeyore.
snow conditions
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
pam w wrote:
Whoyton1, the one certain thing is that the outlook is very uncertain - all the forecasts seem to agree on that.

Where are you getting the information about significant snowfall?
This is the current gfs for flaine area:

(it has been scaled back from an hour ago) snowHead
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Whoyton1, the GFS is a forecast, not a report of snowfall.
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
pam w wrote:
Whoyton1, the GFS is a forecast, not a report of snowfall.
"with the possibility of a big snowfall" was in my first post...i am well aware the gas is a forecast and have never said it was a report

I also am aware that the future is very unpredictable at the moment as i said before! Allow me to my optimism! snowHead
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Quote:

that's what you said and when I asked what your evidence was you showed me a GFS forecast. I am looking out of the window at around 1550m and can assure you that there has been no meaningful return of snow in this corner of the northern Alps. Sadly. I wish you were right.
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
pam w, an inch or so on the webcam throughout the day in Avoriaz... set to continue overnight though not sure it'll reach the valley in Morzine. Nice little much needed top up which is nice.
snow conditions
The pistes in the 3vs, they are the only ones I have been to, have been pretty good. A couple of days they have been icy and some runs have been getting the odd stone - but in the main the skiing has been glorious sunshine and decent pistes.

Off piste hasn't been there much but overall you wouldn't know if there was 30cm of snow on the pistes or 2M.

So it has been a good year so far.

Today's snow has been very light so far in the Savoie - I would guess about 2 - 3 cm. At the moment in Val Thorens is is very windy but 1 degree at 2300M.

The forecast looks like more snow over the next week or so. I wouldn't worry unless your idea of fun is lots and lots of off-piste.
snow report
There's been good piste skiing until the last day or so in beautiful weather in some places - Espace Killy and 3V especially and similar conditions reported from some Austrian resorts but other areas have not fared so well. Serre Chevalier for example has been very bad, and I reported on another thread the school trip from Weymouth, in Alpe d'Huez this week, which has turned into a mountain biking trip.

Of course many resorts only open this weekend for the season but for many it will be a poor, or very poor, opening weekend and some may not get much open at all. Snow depths are below average in Austria and France (don't know about Italy) and today's mostly rather reluctant flakes, with rain at lower altitudes, can hardly be said to have heralded the return of the snow though when depths are so low even an inch is a welcome top up.

That's not to say, of course, that later periods of the season will not break all records. It's rare that a season is equally good (or bad, thankfully) all the way through. It is better here now than it was in February 2011 IIRC.

The best one can say of the forecasts for the next few days is that they are very uncertain. So, looking on the bright side, it could well change and not rain on Sunday after all. Little Angel
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy