Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

New Boots into New Skis - aka adjusting the bindings

Poster: A snowHead
I have boots, and I have skis (with bindings) but they don't go together in any particularly useful way. Mainly because I have been buying skis without my current boots around, and that is because I have shiny new CEM boots (yay!)

It's a nice problem to have, but how do I resolve this issue? Particularly as we've just ordered - online - two new sets of skis for our older two girls, so we need to sort those too.

- is DIY a really stupid idea given I have no experience of this?

- if it is, who can I get to fit boots to skis? I don't mind paying but I am not sure who would offer this service if I've not bought anything else from them at the time. If it helps, we live near the Snow Centre and do have a few warm-up lessons booked there in the near future for the younger two children (who will be using the rentals there) and there's also the Snow & Rock there.

Thanks!!
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Just bring all to S&R and let them sort it out....they will have a standard charge.

Bindings have a certain amount of adjustment, but if there isn't enough, the skis may have to be re-drilled...unless they are mounted on a Track/Rail.
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Oh good, I'm glad to hear that. More than happy to pay a reasonable charge. Hadn't thought about potentially needing to be re-drilled, but I would hope not. My old boots fitted my new skis and they're probably the same length.

Thanks!
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Give the shop a ring - with details of skis and bindings and ask for an idea of the cost before you go.
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
If they are rail system bindings then it will be a very quick and easy job to adjust the length for your boots. You could DIY, with the correct binding manual at hand, but you do need to know what you are doing. Also check the DIN settings are correct for your weight and ability. Best bet is a shop if you are unsure.

If they are not a rail system binding, then adjustment range will be more limited and may or may not need re-drilling. Again the shop will advise.
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Great, thank you! I did look into DIYing it in the past after I picked up some cheap ex-rentals from the Snow Centre (planning on using locally if it ever snowed enough, but it never did until this year!) It seemed relatively straightforward, but when I came to do it, I wasn't 100% happy I'd got it right. So I'd be a lot more confident with a professional doing it.

I'm fairly sure I know my DIN, but I've not got a clue what our two daughters would be. The company selling the skis will mount them and I gave them all the various mondo/length/ability/weight data, but I'd still want it checked over locally with the physical boot in situ for my own peace of mind.

Hopefully no redrilling will be needed - they're either rail system, or they have been set up for that boot length or close to it.
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
I was asking Ski Bartlett about checking bindings were set up correctly for our boots and forward pressure and they mentioned something like £5-10 per pair if that helps (at least with a benchmark if costs). For that you need only take one boot with the skis.

They can also check that the bindings release appropriately for the reading they show on a machine for I think £20. For that both boots need to be taken.
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
@ster, thanks for that! They're not too far from us. S&R seem to be quoting £20 to do it, and given I realised there's actually four pairs of skis involved, that will get expensive, fast. It could well be worth the trip down to Ski Bartlett, especially as they have far more interesting stuff in general for sale than S&R do!
snow conditions
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Better than hobbling around and paying the excess on any medical claim on insurance if they dont work properly!

If you do go anywhere do let me know how you get on as I was thinking of getting ours all checked at some point before next season.
snow conditions
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
It is easy enough to do yourself, but equally there’s some reassurance in having someone experienced do it for you.

I had doubts on my binding forward pressure and walked into my local favourite shop, 2 minutes, doubts confirmed, fix effected, no charge...
latest report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
sparklies wrote:
@ster, thanks for that! They're not too far from us. S&R seem to be quoting £20 to do it, and given I realised there's actually four pairs of skis involved, that will get expensive, fast. It could well be worth the trip down to Ski Bartlett, especially as they have far more interesting stuff in general for sale than S&R do!

Ski Bartlett are great...a couple of years ago, they foraged around in their parts bin and found me a part for an Atomic Binding from 2003....and S&R in Dublin fitted it, along with checking the bindings on another pair of skis, for no charge.

I suspect if you told S&R what you want, they might easily give you a decent "bulk discount", in the hope of getting repeat business......but I think I'd still go to Ski Bartlett, if that is an option.
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Definitely - get to Ski Bartlett if you can!
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Yep - and given so much of skiing is down to psychology, constantly wondering if you've done your bindings right would surely have an effect on confidence - perhaps even making you more likely to make a mistake.

Ski Bartlett it is, and a lot of that is down to wanting a good poke around in the shop before we go away too! It really is a right old treasure trove. Nine year old @alwayzpink's boots are from there, they are adjustable in length (kind of like rollerskates are) and I have never seen anything like it anywhere else. Nor have most rental shops either, judging from their bemused expressions. But we got those boots in, ooh, late 2015. She was on the shortest setting then. She's now on the middle one and there's still the max setting to go. They're very comfortable for her, and we'll be able to pass them on to our current four year old too!
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
sparklies wrote:
Nine year old @alwayzpink's boots are from there, they are adjustable in length (kind of like rollerskates are) and I have never seen anything like it anywhere else. Nor have most rental shops either, judging from their bemused expressions. But we got those boots in, ooh, late 2015. She was on the shortest setting then. She's now on the middle one and there's still the max setting to go. They're very comfortable for her, and we'll be able to pass them on to our current four year old too!

So you have some of their Full Tilt Growth Spurt boots. I am interested in them for our youngest but did wonder about their construction, sounds like you are happy with them.

The alternative brand from the adjustable boots are Roces, haven't seen these retail in the UK but can be got from

https://www.levelninesports.com/roces-2016-idea-adjustable-kids-ski-boots
snow conditions
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
@ster, you can get roces on amazon
snow conditions
I think it is the Full Tilt ones. I haven't got them to hand at the moment (I'm at work) but from memory they look like the ones here: https://www.skis.com/Full-Tilt-Growth-Spurt-Girls-Ski-Boots-2012/226283P,default,pd.html

The chap did seem to think they were decent boots. I know they're salespeople, but he could easily have sold us something more expensive, and he recommended these for her. She's done at least three weeks on snow, plus several Snow Centre sessions/lessons at least with them and they seem to be holding up fine. I'm not an expert (or I could do my own bindings, ha ha!) but they do appear to do the job no worse than any other child's boot in my inexperienced opinion!
snow conditions
You can get the roces from https://www.sportsdirect.com/roces-idea-up-junior-girls-ski-boots-921000?colcode=92100006 for half price.
My daughter has the Roces and has used them for 3 years and approx 15 weeks of skiing without any issues. My son had the Full-Tilt and used them for a similar period, again with no problems, if anything I'd say I prefer the quality of the Full-Tilt, but both are good boots.
snow conditions
Good to know that it's not just my experience that they're decent! I wonder why they're not more popular? Unless, of course, boot shops realise they can get more profit out of selling three boots in the same timeframe as these boots will last.

On the subject of children's boots - my oldest (11) is in MP 25.5, but her shoe size is 4-5, and that's more like 6. S&R fitted her. She claims they feel suitably tight. This doesn't make sense to me. After all, normally you come down.. I *think* they're children's boots, although right at the top end!
latest report
@sparklies, sorry but 25.5 doesn’t sound right...Full Tilt’s do come up slightly smaller than other boots, but not by a whole lot. You can check by measuring your child’s foot: piece of A4, trace the foot carefully holding the pencil uprightish. Measure lengthwise from tip of big toe to back of heel. That’s your Mondo size, roughly. And then take out insole, place foot properly in heel and see how far the toes are from the front. You want a 5-9mm of room, in my view. But do this, take some photos and post them here and I think people will comment as to whether things are right or not.

Two things ... it is an idea to learn how to adjust bindings, for a whole series of reasons. It is relatively straightforward to do safely. But you need to know about:

Height adjustment on some models (possible ... eg some modern Salomons)
Forward pressure indicators.
The importance of all DINs being set the same.
The way to move things on a rail system.
Wing adjustment on some models (unlikely on newer models).

Some people at Hemel who are SHs would show you for nowt I think. Post here and see what comes up.

To find your DINs is simple - you need to know your height, weight, boot sole length (number like 306mm) on heel or base of boot, age. Then use a Rossignol or Salomon table to get the DIN.

http://i268.photobucket.com/albums/jj8/skiingman/epicski/e2453823.jpg

Weight down the LH side - read across the top to the correct BSL (boot sole length) category then fid the intersection box.
Eg weight 151lbs puts you in the 148-174lbs box down the LH side. 306 BSL puts you in the 291-310 category along the top. DIN thus = 5.5
latest report
@valais2, the ones I mentioned at 25.5 weren't the Full Tilts, I think they're regular Salomons, probably children's. She skied in them last year absolutely fine, but maybe she could have skied better!

Thank you for the tips though - I'll take a look later (or tomorrow) and follow what you've said and let you know.

I think it was things like the forward pressure indicators which made me realise I didn't trust what I'd done, even if the boot fitted. It was that point I thought "professional"! However, I think it is wise to have a working knowledge as you just never know.

I know my DIN, but I need to find out what the children are.

Thank you!!
ski holidays
@sparklies, no problem.....glad to help....hmmm Salomons are usually sized accurately.

Forward pressure indicators are straightforward but come in different guises on different models of binding, even from the same manufacturer. Some are screws which sticks out the back and have be flush with the binding body; some are metal tabs which need to align with an indent; others are little metal indicators in tiny windows on the side. But once you know what you are looking for, it’s really simple.
ski holidays
doddsie wrote:
You can get the roces from https://www.sportsdirect.com/roces-idea-up-junior-girls-ski-boots-921000?colcode=92100006 for half price.
My daughter has the Roces and has used them for 3 years and approx 15 weeks of skiing without any issues. My son had the Full-Tilt and used them for a similar period, again with no problems, if anything I'd say I prefer the quality of the Full-Tilt, but both are good boots.

Plenty of Roces roller skates and ice skates but no ski boots that I could see.

I have seen them before when a friend got them. On first inspection I wasnt too convinced on the build quality and so wouldnt mind finding a bricks and mortar retailer to take another look but a lot of good impressions of them around.

Might get up to SKi Bartlett and take a look at the Full Tilts although I wonder if who I intend them for currently is in the middle of the small boot's range and so wont get the full benefit of it and is too small for the larger one.
latest report
ster wrote:
doddsie wrote:

Plenty of Roces roller skates and ice skates but no ski boots that I could see.

I have seen them before when a friend got them. On first inspection I wasnt too convinced on the build quality and so wouldnt mind finding a bricks and mortar retailer to take another look but a lot of good impressions of them around.

Might get up to SKi Bartlett and take a look at the Full Tilts although I wonder if who I intend them for currently is in the middle of the small boot's range and so wont get the full benefit of it and is too small for the larger one.

Here you go - https://www.sportsdirect.com/roces-idea-up-junior-ski-boots-921001?colcode=92100144

Also 20% off if you buy through the app on all items so some bargains to be had if there's something you want/need.
ski holidays
@sparklies, mini_mg has been skiing in Roxa Chameleons (very similar to the Roces boots) for at least 3 years now, possibly 4 (so 7-8 weeks use). They look pretty beaten up, but still function perfectly and she's been very happy with them. I can't say she wouldn't ski better in custom fitted boots but they haven't held her back significantly. I'm a fan, and more so if you have multiple kids who can use them.
I'm with @valais2 on knowing about bindings - basic knowledge means you can do a fair bit yourself and also can be more confident about when you need the professionals' advice. If we were coming to the Family Bash this year I'd happily share what I know but sadly we won't be there this year. If you can wait a year though, different matter.
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy