Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Ski Hire in Obergurgl

Poster: A snowHead
Hi We are skiing 21st - 28th December in Obergurgl and can't wait.
Just looking to book ski's etc. I'm looking to book either directly through Scheiber and Sport S5 looks like the closest to my hotel (Madeleine), with Skiset or Alpine resorts. I've found a code for 25% off with Skiset against 20% with the others whcih will save me a little, does anyone have a better code. If I go through Scheiber independently I can choose which skis I want within the range, the other 2 is chosen for me from that range ( not really a problem either way to be honest since I don't know have a preferance).

Anyone got any better offers or can suggest which shop is better?
BTW going through quidco is an extra 7% as well

Very Happy
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Clicking this link gives you a code for a better discount at alpinresorts
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
admin wrote:
Clicking this link gives you a code for a better discount at alpinresorts

I looked at that but it only knock 3 euros off, 5%? I can't decide if these are cheaper or not. Do you know where Ski & Schuh are in the village? They have 3 shops, one I think is in the Hotel Lohmann. Anyon eknow if they are as good as Scheiber?
Scheiber sports have 3 locations as well, these also offer free lockers for ski's and are open until late - hoping to pick the skis up Saturday eve, fingers crossed
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Welcome to Austrian prices...
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
James the Last wrote:

Laughing and skiing in general, thanks
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Scheiber sports is your most convenient with lockers and next to the lift and wonder full shop and i dare you to walk trough the shop without spending any money. Very pricey. I do remember there is a hire shop across the road from Scheiber under the spar shop that gives very good discounts even if you just turn up on the day,but dont take my word for it,it has been while now. Yep ski hire is expensive in Austria
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Oooh don't say that I'm not very good at walking through any shop without buying something and it is Christmas...................
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
We rented kids skis from the place near the hotel jenwin (oposite and down the gradient ) then haggled with them till they agreed the price we could find online ...
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
admin, that link gives 2 schiber shops in hochgurgl not obergurgl.... no scheiber appear to be available through alpine resorts fo obergurgl.... schu mode lohman is left out of madeline and wrong direction to head towards lift.

Joto, I have stayed at madeline and used scheiber and they are directly at the bottom of the ski run and ill store skis overnight for free and keep your shoes during the day so even for the 200mt walk to the hotel you will not have to worry about skis or boots. i think they may charge for boot storage if they are not hired.

at the other end of obergurgl village - the lower nd where the crystal hotel is - there is another scheiber in the base of he hotel. same lift location as where the night ski lift is - if they still do night skiing.
snow conditions
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Thanks for all the help I'll book with scheiber through skiset. I've managed to find 25% discount and 7% cashback with quidco so a little cheaper
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Joto wrote:
James the Last wrote:

Laughing and skiing in general, thanks

Austrian ski hire for a week €100; French ski hire for a week €50.

Booking to spend nine days in St Anton was the spur I needed to buy my own boots, as the nominal €20 French cost was dwarfed.
snow conditions
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Hi
Just wondering if you had any feedback on scheiber - I'm off to obergurgl soon and am considering renting from the shop near the festgogle bahn?
It'll be me and my wife and our two children - only i have my own boots.
Cheers
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
All the shops are pricey but great service and quality. I tend to hire from which ever is nearest to where I'm staying. Often find that the skiset or alpin resorts prices are no better than going direct to the shop. You can certainly book online directly with Scheiber and Intersport Riml and I imagine they would price match if you ask. If you post where you are staying I'll happily give a view as to which shop is nearest.
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Thanks
I hired from intersport last year (stayed with esprit) but scheiber is closer to the lift and better value for a family online (free kids gear). If they are all just as good ill go with best value even if it's 50 yards further down the road.
Thanks for your advice
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
try snowbrainer, an online booking service, i've used them for the last three trips and have never had a problem and they're very cheap.
snow report
Schibeir are very good with excellent quality of gear and friendly service but may be not the cheapest, if you want to walk a little further you could try lomann near josell cellar.
snow report
Lohmann (via Snowell) seems to just pip Scheiber direct or Lohman (via Snowbrainer) but Scheiber provides free storage which might be worth a few extra euros
thanks for your advice everyone
latest report
Have decided to go with Scheiber as they have facility to swap kit as required and they have a presence in 3 key locations in the resort.
Will let you all know how it goes
ski holidays
James the Last wrote:
Austrian ski hire for a week €100; French ski hire for a week €50.
Yet, conversely, a private lesson will cost half as much in Obergurgl than, say, 3V. And food is also cheaper.
ski holidays
@James the Last, even without any kind of discount, 124 Euro for 7 days ski, poles and boot hire at a local shop in a no-name village but top of the range brands and brand new skis (i.e. this seasons models) does not seem too excessive to my mind. Plus endless opportunities to change them according to the conditions and your estimation of your abilities, pretty fair on the whole! http://www.rot-weiss-rot.at/en/wagrain/rental-shop-service.html

The Gurgls are up there in the top draw of Austrian resorts along with St Anton, Ischgl and Kitzbühel, so a pretty good deal for Obergurgl on the whole
snow report
Returned from a fabulous week in Obergurgl / Hochgurgl (also spent a day cruising around Solden - which was great too)
Service, facilities and equipment was top notch from Scheiber (much better than I experienced from Intersport last year)
Facilitated an easy swap for my wife's boots when she found the first pair uncomfortable. Fixed a broken brake on my blades in the time it took for my children to take their boots off and only for 15euro! I'd recommend them again.
I've also picked up a bus timetable in case anyone has any queries in that respect
snow report
Bit of a bump, anyone know where would be best to hire from if we're staying at the Vitalhotel Muhle? The hotel seems to be equidistant between Obergurgl and Hochgurgl, we know we'll need to get a bus or take a stroll but I wondered which end would be easier? If it happened to have late opening on a Saturday so we can get the skis on the day we arrive that'd be useful too!
snow report
My recommendation would be to stick with Obergurgl (Hochgurgl is up the hill) Scheiber have the closest shop I believe at Festgoglbahn (coincidentally the same place I used earlier in the year) Book online for a good price. It's just a short walk up the road.
Have a good time!
snow report
Staying at the Hotel Lohmann in Obergurgl but wondering if still more convenient to book equipment through Scheiber?? The storage at lifts does appeal, though I know it's only about 200m walk from Lohmann, just wondered about that for kids....
latest report
200m is a long way with kids and skis... I'd stick with Scheiber
ski holidays
I would have thought Hotel Lohmann is further than 200m from either lift. More like double that.

Does Hotel Lohmann give you a discount on Lohmann ski hire, so they are cheaper than Scheiber (after any discount they offer)? If so, there are Lohmann shops near both lifts, so you could ask about storage in those shops. (You are about equidistant between the lifts.)
latest report
ok thx so much. Lohmann didn't say about storage at shops so for this trip we decided to go for the convenience of Scheiber so we don't have to lug kids and skis.... Hard to picture it all having never skied before but sure will all work out well!!
ski holidays
I'm sure you'll have a lovely time!

If you get your hire stuff sorted the night before, it's not so complicated each morning. Jump out of bed - put thermals on - go to breakfast - get outerwear on (I recommend tying the kids gloves to their jackets) - wander down to the ski hire shop - pick up skis and boots (leave snowboots there) - wander over to the ski school - senior instructor will allocate you to a group - have a great day! Obergurgl is perfect for beginners too. make sure that when you are not in lessons (leave your skis at the hire shop) that you go up the gondalas to the top to see the views (even if you only stay there for five minutes before you jump back on the lift to go back down) Its also easy to jump on the bus down to the Hochgurglbahn and go up the gondala there so you can see the other side of the resort.

Have a great time
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
trolleyed wrote:
Jump out of bed - put thermals on - go to breakfast - get outerwear on

Yuck! This may be OK for a self catering apartment but nobody staying in a hotel wants to see other people eating breakfast in their underwear. Especially skin-tight thermals!

Jump out of bed - have a shower - put on some clothes that won't be embarrassing - go to breakfast - change into ski gear in your room. There. FIFY
ski holidays
hahaha thanks for all advice. Won't go to breakfast in our underwear Laughing
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy