Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Ski prep in the north east

Poster: A snowHead
Can anyone recommend a good quality place to prep skis before travelling as I'm not happy with the machine wax and grind I get from my local shop. Should say I'm based in Teesside but am willing to travel a bit rather than ruin my skis. Either that or would you recommend buying iron, wax, vice scrapers and all that and messing it up myself?
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
pauls248, Spyderjon on here in Nottingham's your man!
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Have you been to Sayers in Yarm then?

Snow and Rock at The Metro Centre do servicing (though I waited 20 mins recently to try some boots on and was completely ignored, not for the first either, even waving my insoles around) before walking out

OR

Ellis Brigham at Snozone Castleford where I have found the staff helpfull

Both approx 50 mins drive from here

Does the shop in the Boro not service skis any more, I cant remember the name (used to be Wilderness Ways) opposite Sainsburys, on the corner
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
Sorry I cant recommend any good quality places skiing related or not anywhere in Middlesborough Toofy Grin
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Yes been to Sayers and wasn't happy. Don't know whether nevisport ( formerly wilderness ways) has a service but they don't have anything on site. Snow and rock is just going to be a machine wax and grind again.

I know at my ability level it probably doesn't make much difference but the edges looked mauled coming from Sayers.

Ellis Brigham it is then by the sounds of it. If I was to try to do it myself, is it difficult, is it going to cost a fortune to set myself up with tools and a vice?

Spyderjon may well be the best solution but it would cost an arm and a leg in fuel or postage. Wouldn't it? What would it cost to post two sets of skis and have them prepped and returned? Do you think?

Thanks for the quick replies by the way!
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
pauls248, what you need to do is book yourself a ski tuning lesson with Spyderjon, learn how to do it properly and get your own skis serviced at the same time.
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Buy the kit and mess it up yourself wink
snow conditions
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
pauls248, Doing your own ski servicing is difficult without some decent kit to do it with and isnt that cheap to buy. Brighams at Snozone will be your cheaper option but maybe give them a ring to make sure they can do a one day service for you (plenty of shops to browse while you wait) Or get them done in resort when you go away.
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Thanks for all the advice. Castleford it is. Have to see if they'll do a same day service and shop/ski while I wait.
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
I'd highly recommend Jon, just got back from The Piste Officet after a few hours of tuning tuition.

If you're a relatively practical person I can't imagine you'd have any trouble learning to tune your own skis with a little tuition, alternatively Jon's made a tuning dvd, I haven't watched it myself but I'd imagine it should be enough guidance for anyone that has some basic hand tool experience.

As for cost it's not exactly cheap to get set up, i've just spent £195 on gear which includes an iron but not a vice (making my own at work), if you kept it a little more basic I think you could get everything you need including a vice for under £200 (the vice been £80 of that).
Still not small change, though if you have 2 pairs of skis to tune it shouldn't take long to pay for itself.

The staff at Castleford EB are quite helpful, just give them a ring and make certain they can do a proper hand tune before going down there.
snow conditions
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Thanks for that daishan. Maybe next year Santa will bring me the gear for that. Will try to get the tuition sometime next year!
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
pauls248, got a contact for you in Saltburn - will PM
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
We were really happy with LD Mountain centre (in Newcastle) servicing last year. Tried snow and rock this year.
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
pauls248, I get all my skis serviced by Claude who has set himself up in the Great Park in Newcastle. Well worth speaking to him and a better service than LD Mountain centre or Snow and Rock in Gateshead. http://www.gosforthskiservice.co.uk/
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
NE1, nephew with an almost new snowboard ripped off by S&R for a service when a basic edge and wax would have done. I'll tell him about the guy at Great Park though, as he lives near.
ski holidays
Daishan, I have also done the course with Spyderjon - this year I did three sets of skis. If I can do the job I'm sure the OP could easily learn to do so.
latest report
I have a friend who was ex ski tech at LD. He is doing some basic servicing/repairs from home. He lives in Consett if anyone would like his details.
snow report
Megamum, me too, my garage is a ski tech workshop now, beer fridge, music - me and pals all do our own now in there, Jon's course and his gear is brilliant, so easy to do and skis get looked after rather than ski shop just banging them through a machine. Very Happy
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy