Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Avalanche accident in Lech 17. 12. 2013

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
In Lech happened an avalanche accident today. Yes, I know it is avalanche risk level one.

Anyway here are the facts:

One ski guide with three clients skied down “Fauler Stock” (near Madloch down to Stierbach). The ski guide was buried with two clients. One person died, there are no details about the other two skiers. They where rescued form the mountain rescue from Lech.

http://alloffpiste.com/skiing/avalanche-accident-lech-17-12-2013/

Last edited by Poster: A snowHead on Tue 17-12-13 19:48; edited 1 time in total
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
ORF (Austrian television) reports (in German) that an English father and two sons were on a guided tour. The father, one son and the guide were buried by the avalanche. The son died and the father and guide were injured, the other son wasn't caught in the avalanche. A member of the Vorarlberg Avalanche Warning Service said that the thin snow cover and its being hard-pressed and the day's wind would have increased the avalanche risk.

Very sad.
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Vorarlberg online has a further reports (in German) here and here. The sons involved in the avalanche were 16 year old twins. All three who were hit by the avalanche were well equipped but the airbags didn't manage to keep the father and son on the surface. I believe, from another report, that the father suffered a broken leg and arm. I suspect that the picture used in the reports may be a stock photo, though the terrain does look like a trap.

The discussion of this avalanche on the German alpinforum.com site contains a link to a report on a 2007 avalanche in the same area, with a photo of the area involved, though then the avalanche risk was higher (and I am not sure if it is confirmed that yesterday's avalanche was at the same place).
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
From the Telegraph

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/worldnews/europe/austria/10524718/British-teenager-killed-by-avalanche-in-Austria.html
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Very sad news. Goes to show even on a level 1 day there are localised risk. The telegraph article (top tip : open using chrome incognito to avoid paywall) talks about the local police saying the "ski instructor" ( I assume they mean guide) was in an unauthorised area and is being investigated on charges of “negligence leading to serious injury with fatal consequences”. What's an unauthorised area? The chap from the Avalanche Warning Service is quoted and seems to be questioning what an unauthorised area is. He also makes a strong point the airbags are not always going to save you, though it's not made clear if the guide was prevented from full burial because of his airbag.
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
Grias di Franz

Think you need to move youe post to one of the main topics.

Sad indeed heard about it quite quick.

http://snowheads.com/ski-forum/viewtopic.php?p=2417250&highlight=fatal#2417250
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
ORF Vorarlberg now has an updated report on the avalanche here, including a videoed interview with some of those involved in the rescue. The danger from accumulations of windblown snow is emphasised. All in German.
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Was it mentioned what gradient the slope is?
latest report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Quote:

What's an unauthorised area?

There are tree sections in Lech that are illegal, due to environmental impact.
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
waynos, Either a closed resort within a resort boundary for reasons of safety, avalanche risk, terrain hazards, or environmental reasons.
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Various reports have mentioned around 40°, roscoeh.
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
As you come around the Madloch from Zurs and zoom over the flat bit, where people congregate there's a usually rocky narrow entrance to a chute on your left as you look towards Lech. Is this where it happened? I looked at the pics from German report and it wasn't clear to me exactly where this was?

Poor folks. That's an unlucky day ....
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy