Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Beginners facilities near the Linga lift in Chatel

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
Hi

I am a new member to Snowheads today and have just booked a week in Chatel at the beginning of Feb.

I was wondering if anyone out there could comment on the facilities for beginners near the Linga lift (we are staying about 200 metres from it) I am especially interested in private ski lessons/schools and the suitability of local pistes. Also are there any ski hire outfits that stand out ?

Many thanks for a great site !

Phil
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
philstor, Welcome!! nice first post!

I am a PDS afficianado and love the Linga, but have never stayed there! You do have immediate access into some of the most fun skiing in the system IMHO.

I've not had to think about it, but IIRC there are some beginner facilities nearby and definitely plenty a short bus ride round to Chatel itself. Really, it's only 5-10 mins...

No school recommendations I'm afraid.
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
hmm - I went last year - hang on <finds piste map!>

Right - I'd suggest getting the bus to super chatel, which has a fantastic beginner area above the main gondala - quiet, perfect incline, not busy and very good confidence building with just enough variety to keep you sane. The linga runs, while fantastic for intermediates are a bit much for beginners (at least for the two in my group) and icy to boot and the nursery slope at pre la joux is really rather steep for 'first turns' and so I wouldn't recommend for lessons, although the long green down from pierre longue is a lovely run for beginners, give it a try one afternoon - a simple zig zag through the trees, but constant slight incline and not at all busy as everyone else takes the much quicker red. Buses are frequent (<10mins) and you'll be going the 'wrong' way to most folks so should get seats etc.

As for schools? We used the chatel esf for 3 private lessons and had one indifferent, one reasonable and one good - so not sure one way or the other tbh?

One thing I would not is that the linga lift is not in Chatel? It's a fair hike out of town (10mins on bus?) and very quiet, but looked a lovely place to stay as long as partying isn't high up your list!

Hope that helps,

aj xx
p.s I seem to remeber the online lift map is useless - email the tourist office and ask for a real one if you want to do some pre holiday window skiing!
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
Linga is out of town as has been said before but there are some shops and a bar/restaurant or two in fairly close proximity. I have stayed in S/C accomodation opposite the lift and we did walk into town every night - 20 minutes IIRC. Buses are frequent so getting into town in the morning to get the lift uper to Super Chalet should not be a drama.

Hope you get good low snow.
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
There is actually a very small beginner area at the bottom of the Linga lift, run by one of the smaller ski schools (forget which one). There's a rather bigger area at Pre La Joux (a bus ride away), or the higher area at Super Chatel (a bus in the other direction).
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
Many thanks for the info.

Sounds like the ESF is pretty much the same as everywhere else - totally unpredictable ! I'll try and give them a miss.
Does anyone known if there is parking at the bottom of the Super Chatel lift ? We are taking a car and I know there is parking at Pre La Joux, but it sounds like there is some nice skiing for all levels at Super Chatel.
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
philstor, I'd use the bus. Honest, it's frequent and takes 10 minutes. Just watch out for the drivers' lunch break - should be posted on a timetable somewhere...being France, they all take lunch together with resulting interruption to service!
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
philstor, there is an underground carpark next to the bus station about 100 metres from Super Chatel, parking in Chatel is a bit of a nightmare.
snow conditions
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
There's no parking at the bottom of the lift (it's right in the centre of town) but as David mentions, there is one towards the bus station - and I saw signs to parking above the lift as well? If parking does turn out to be tricky the bus should be fine as you'll be going the 'wrong' way all the time Happy aj xx
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy