Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Protective gear for a girl beginner snowboarder

Poster: A snowHead
Hi Snowheads,

I've got someone coming out to learn to snowboard with me in a few weeks. Although not essential, she's decided to go for some protection - wrist guards and impact shorts.

There seem to be plenty of options around for wrist guards at low prices, including plenty by decent brands. I'm struggling with impact shorts though. Does anyone have any suggestions for a decent pair under £40? 28-32", not too worried about female specific ones (unless I should be?)

Cheers!
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
I got a pair of these in the summer for biking and they seem ok. Not too bulky and pretty comfortable, I haven't had a big crash since I got them but got to be better than nothing and I still have a dent in my hip from the crash I had before I bought them.
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
jiagedaping, http://www.blue-tomato.com/en-US/products/categories/Protection-0000006B--Protectors-0000006H/gender/women/ Good reliable company and fast shipping, some on sale too right now. Toofy Grin

booger, doesn't like the link . . . go to woman's protection
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
When I learnt to board I cut up an old camping mat and stuck it down by undercrackers. You can buy a brand new camping roll for under a fiver. And Masque, if you twist this into me being a cheapskate misogynist then you'll get a kick in the undercrackers next time I see you Madeye-Smiley
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Wags, well yer certainly cheap rolling eyes and the least you can do is draw the poor lass a diagram of the butterfly shape (with tail) to cut the foam into.
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
Masque wrote:
Wags, well yer certainly cheap rolling eyes and the least you can do is draw the poor lass a diagram of the butterfly shape (with tail) to cut the foam into.

Well I was once nicknamed "Arkwright" Very Happy My cutout was more of a V shape, where do your butterfly wings go?
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Wags, Butt cheeks and a little way down the rear of the thigh and if going into cycle shorts you can add an extra side piece to the wing bottom to wrap around the hip. Butterfly tail goes down the coccyx.
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Aaagh, the thoughts of landing on my coccyx!! No boarding for me thanks, butterflies in my knickers or not Wink
snow conditions
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Humpfknick, broke mine in a half pipe . . . 600 mile drive back to the UK the next morning . . . . . . . . Evil or Very Mad
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
lynseyf wrote:
I got a pair of these in the summer for biking and they seem ok. Not too bulky and pretty comfortable, I haven't had a big crash since I got them but got to be better than nothing and I still have a dent in my hip from the crash I had before I bought them.

oops helps if I link

http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/de/en/661-sub-shorts-2013/rp-prod72486
snow conditions
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
eBay is your friend on this one, just search "Impact Shorts" and you'll have a raft of options. Decent padding on the butt and coccyx, if she's learning go for soft padding rather than hard plates, hips not so much of an issue for a beginner either as she'll either fall forwards and inevetably be putting her hands out, or onto her bum, rather than falling onto rails/boxes etc. Best reason to armour up as a beginner is to reduce the discomfort of sitting on the snow and stop you bruising your hands, particularly the ball of the thumb, when pushing yourself up.
latest report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Masque wrote:
Humpfknick, broke mine in a half pipe . . . 600 mile drive back to the UK the next morning . . . . . . . . Evil or Very Mad

....feel sick...
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Humpfknick, not as sick as I did when I took my first crap afterwards Evil or Very Mad Evil or Very Mad Evil or Very Mad Evil or Very Mad Evil or Very Mad Evil or Very Mad Evil or Very Mad Evil or Very Mad Evil or Very Mad Evil or Very Mad Evil or Very Mad evil
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Nice Wink
snow conditions
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
I learnt to board - well had a few lessons without a lot of success - some years ago and what I would have liked was kneepads. I always went down on the same bit of knee - forwards - and they got quite hurty after a bit. And a change of clothing, spare gloves in particular, I got pretty wet (it was March). wink
snow report
I'd def get some good quality impact shorts - it's really not worth scrimping - a couple of bad falls on yer coxics (spelt wrong?) can be painful for months.
Being a beginner you're guaranteed to catch a rail many times & fall hard on at least a few.

Dainese make some good ones - might cost £80 - &100 but well worth it. If you get decent ones you can sell them on the bay after for just £20 less if you wanted to - or keep them as they'll last forever.

The one's that work are the ones with the solid plastic guard on the coxics, others don't work well enough for hard falls.
latest report
+1 for knee guards. Definitely wrist guards.
snow conditions
Hi, when I learnt last year I bought these cheapish impact shorts by HEAD. I didn't buy them from this seller but here's what they look like:

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Head-Ladies-Mute-Short-Plus-Impact-Protection-Shorts-BNWT-/140899577751

They did the trick, I fell over alot but didn't bruise (and I bruise easy) and was feeling smug as the week went on, when my fellow beginners who didn't have crash pants were moaning about sore areas! I would recommend.

I also bought some cheap knee pads (about £5) but found them bulky and annoying to wear. I only wore them on days when it was hardpack on piste. I know one beginner who cracked her knee cap on hard pack! Ouch.

I didnt bother with wrist guards, but that is because I'm already good at not putting my hands out from years of trampolining and dry slope skiing.
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy