Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Will we like Zermatt ?

Poster: A snowHead
Hi - who's been? My favourite places are the Dolomites, The Arlberg and Ischgl. We have a trip planned to Serfaus for Feb.
I have flights to Geneva on 5/1/14 and was wondering where to head to. Will Zermatt appeal to two 50 year olds who just like to notch up on piste miles. i.e.my husband loves doing the Sella Ronda. If it snows a lot, I'm quite happy trying to learn to ski off piste. We've been to Morzine and enjoyed the skiing there but the hotels aren't great and the other half much prefers Austrian cooking Toofy Grin We did the 3 valleys years ago when we couldn't ski very well so I suppose that's an option. French resorts aren't our first choice though.
Any ideas, very gratefully received.
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
yes
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
erica2004, sounds like Zermatt would be ideal for you - does everything you want and gives iconic views (of Matterhorn). But it is very expensive. The terrain is very rocky - so some of the best skiing doesn't open till later than the first week of January some years (someone may be able to tell you how well it's filling up just now). And it is important (in my view) to choose your accommodation to be close to one of the three access points to the mountain - otherwise it can be quite a trek or jostling for a bus. My own favourite is the railway (get the 8.00 and you have a warm scenic and calm access to the mountains). But others find this slow and prefer the glacier end. If you don't go this time then put it on your list of things to do.
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
The only thing not to like is the prices.
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
OK thanks Very Happy
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Zermatt is fantastic. If you like on piste miles get an early cable car to the top and do the 22km down to Valtournenche. Coffee is better on the Italian side and lunch is far cheaper.
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
You'll love it!
snow conditions
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
It's gorgeous! One of the most stunning ski resorts I have been to - though I've only been in the "shoulder" of the season in late Nov. Though things have been quiet on the snow front for the last 2 weeks, they have a good base after loads of snow fell in November. Skiing over to Italy and having lunch over there saves a few pennies, and the food is gorgeous. There's great cruising on the Cervinia side. The only thing to be aware of is that there are few trees and the lifts can shut in bad weather as it is so high and gets so windy.
I know there are some awesome lunch spots on the Swiss side, though the costs are a tad painful, I get the impression it's a big part of the Zermatt experience. People rave about Chez Vrony in particular.
There are some lovely hotels. My new fave is The Europe Hotel and Spa. It's in a good location and has a lovely atmosphere in the hotel bar. You do have to accept it's not a ski in ski out resort, but I think it's such a unique place, it's no big deal.Ayrshire Andy, is right about choosing your hotel carefully re location. We have tended to stick to hotels at the southern end of the town near the church and particularly over the other side of the river and nearer the Matterhorn Glacier paradise lift station.
One day we'll bite the bullet and book a week there.
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
If you just like to notch up piste miles, Zermatt is pretty good: impeccable grooming, some very long runs and lots of powerful lifts that maximise your skiing time. But it has some very big drawbacks that you should be aware of so that you're not disappointed.

First, it's expensive. Eating and drinking on the mountain is particularly painful, but the pain can be mitigated by crossing into Italy.

Second, it's not a resort for lovers of convenience. Much of the accommodation is some distance from the slopes, and the tiny electric buses can't handle the crowds. You'll have to queue patiently and tolerate gross overcrowding or pay for probably the most expensive taxi service in the world. We once stayed just 300m from the slopes, but there was no bus route and the footpath down was one of the steepest and most dangerous that I've ever had the misfortune to use. Check your hotel's location very carefully.

Third, the slopes don't join up very well; it takes a long time to get to Italy from the town end of the Zermatt slopes and you'll rely very heavily on a small number of connecting runs. For that reason, I'd prefer to stay near the gondola and travel into the town in the evening.

Fourth, the lifts are a bit awkward. The railway is quaint but slow and infrequent; the glacier inevitably attracts t-bars; and, while the funicular and abundant cable cars whist you up the mountain at an impressive speed, you always seem to just miss one and they dump hundreds of other skiers in exactly the same place at the same time. None of this is easy on the legs: if you're not fit before your holiday, you'll definitely be fit by the end. If you like chairlifts, Zermatt might be a bad choice.

If these things matter to you, go elsewhere. If you can live with a little inconvenience, the positives almost certainly outweigh the negatives.
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Yes. Best in the world, 56 year old been skiing for 45 years. Great Hotels, Restaurants, Skiing, and if you like Rock music, the Paperla pub. Hotels are Austrian standard plus, i.e. better than French ski resort hotesl on average, and indeed as a generalisation. They are also cheaper, for what you get than France. It is an expensive lift pass. However the rest is up to what you want, and prepared to pay. The standard is fantastic.
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
I'm with them, you can't really go wrong. Personally I never found walking about there a problem: it's a pretty place to walk thorough anyway and there aren't any cars. I didn't find the Italian side riding particularly interesting,, but the views are spectacular and the more obscure bits of Zermatt riding can be very good. |As suggested, not a place for big chairlift fans.
latest report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Good question. I am a big Dolomites fan (done three ski weeks there) and I can't see how it can be better than the Dolomites but we are booked into Zermatt for last week of February. Stay tuned for the findings - it had better be good. It certainly costs more.
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
It's does quirky too. On the gonergrat you can ski to train stations and then get the train back up. Love it.
And the kids have their own school train to get up the mountain.
And they have a massive igloo bar, with candles and caravan loos
And you get blankets to cover your knees at lunch.
And they do fantastic onion soup.
And there are something like 20 peaks over 4000m surrounding you making up some of the most beautiful mind blowing views you will ever see.
And you won't believe the price of some of the watches.
And they have mountain goats.
Oh how I wish I could afford Zermatt again.............
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
twoodwar wrote:
Yes. Best in the world, 56 year old been skiing for 45 years. Great Hotels, Restaurants, Skiing, and if you like Rock music, the Paperla pub. Hotels are Austrian standard plus, i.e. better than French ski resort hotesl on average, and indeed as a generalisation. They are also cheaper, for what you get than France. It is an expensive lift pass. However the rest is up to what you want, and prepared to pay. The standard is fantastic.

I have heard that for the same ski area, skipass sold on IT side is 100EUR cheaper ... do you know if it is possible to order from IT by post (that is, to get it delivered to ones home address and then to use it in Zermat?) Would this be cheating or looking for 'options'?
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
mooney058 wrote:
I have heard that for the same ski area, skipass sold on IT side is 100EUR cheaper ... do you know if it is possible to order from IT by post (that is, to get it delivered to ones home address and then to use it in Zermat?) Would this be cheating or looking for 'options'?

I think they have thought of that.

I believe that if you buy the pass in Italy, you have to use the lifts in Italy first to get over the border before the pass will work on the Zermatt lifts.

Can anyone else confirm?
snow conditions
NE1 wrote:

And they do fantastic onion soup.

Not forgetting the Hay Soup!
snow conditions
It does sounds great. A resort to do once..given it is expensive.
There does seem to be a ski in/ski out hotel called the Riffelalp at 2000m., which looks cosy and quiet. Would we miss out by not being in the village?
Is the train best way to get to Zermatt ? A transfer ticket booked in advance ?
Thanks for your info. Very Happy
ski holidays
erica2004, when are you thinking of going - walking around in the resort in January is icy and miserable, in April its usually on ice free roads and a pleasure.
Look at the Swiss transfer ticket to take you from airport to the resort by train -effiecient and comfortable with great scenery. Eurostar are also running a service for a few dollars more. We stay in apartments throuhg Owners Abroad usually, and are usually staying beyond the funicular in the service part of town for afordability, but its still lovely
snow report
No doubt prices there are very high but I have always seen chalet deals there for reasonable ~ £500 price.
Then you just have big breakfast and save on lunches Wink
ski holidays
Only ever been in the Summer so can't comment on the skiing! However in terms of scenery, chic style, amazing food, accommodation and shops, its probably the best in the alps!
As others have said, its expensive, but then again places like Zermatt are few and far between, its unique!
snow report
The Riffelalp is indeed ski in ski out. I'm not sure what your budget is, but it is also one of the top five star hotels in Zermatt, with prices to match. The train stops at the resort and runs up and down to Zermatt itself until late evening, so you could eat in the village if you wanted. It would be peaceful, but on the flip side, you wouldn't be able to enjoy the general buzz of the village without a train trip down and back. If you would prefer to be on mountain, a cheaper option would be either the kulm hotel at Gornergrat (the top of the train line) but this is very high and some people have trouble sleeping at that altitude, or the Silvana at Furi. The Silvana is accessible by the bubble during hours of operation of the lift system, but in the evenings it is quite a long (and expensive) taxi ride back up to the hotel from the village. If you are not looking for night life particularly, and would be happy eating in the hotel every night, it might be an option, plus you are right by the lift first thing in the morning. There are some fairly reasonable chalet deals if you look around, and there are a lot of apartments for rent also, which would be cheaper than a hotel, but obviously you then have to self cater.
As for transfer, if you are only going airport/Zermatt /airport the transfer ticket is the best option and must be purchased before leaving the UK.
ski holidays
Mountain Haddock, We were thinking Jan 5th - is it that miserable?
ski holidays
Mikeg36 wrote:
mooney058 wrote:

I believe that if you buy the pass in Italy, you have to use the lifts in Italy first to get over the border before the pass will work on the Zermatt lifts.

Can anyone else confirm?

It certainly states somewhere on the website.

They are Swiss for goodness sake; a country known for it's precision. Do you think they'd miss such an obvious scam ?!

From the Cervinia website:

"Cervino–Valtournenche–Zermatt International ski area: valid for use on the lifts of Cervino S.p.A., Zermatt Bergbahnen AG and Gornergrat-Monte Rosa-Bahnen. International tickets purchased in Italy must be used daily, for first passage each day in the ski area, on Italian lifts. Clients intending to use first passage on a Zermatt lift are requested to ask for conditions of use at the ticket offices before use."
snow report
no jan is not miserable.

MH is suggesting that there is snow and ice in the town of a ski resort in january.... Shocked
snow report
Not miserable, only if you booked the Maldives,went to Zermatt in error, and hated cold and snow and skiing and Boarding, and dancing and Drinking, and fantastic scenery, and wonderful food. The only downside is the wine could be better. There said it, something bad about Zermatt. Sad
snow conditions
We went jan 5th. We were never miserable.
snow report
Mikeg36 wrote:
mooney058 wrote:

Can anyone else confirm?

Buy a five day Italian pass then get a days pass in Z to get over to the Italian side. Then sell it to someone in the lift queue saying that your friend hadn't turned up Smile
latest report
erica2004, & everyone else,
Zermatt is never miserable but roads and paths can be tricky when icy, fine if you are in the posh bit, but for us we have to stay away from the main drags and the paths can be more favourable later in the year... Madeye-Smiley
I prefer the skiing later on too to get the runs below the Stockorn
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Zermatt is difficult not to like and for the type of skiing you are after it is perfect. Scenery is hard to beat IMHO, not the cheapest but worth it.
ski holidays
Perty, How's the food in the Europe Hotel ? We're just looking for a nice relaxing hotel with good food/nice bar to sit in. I had thought of the Riffelalp but sometimes 5* hotels are too stuffy for us and the food too fussy.
ski holidays
If the roads are icy get some of these, I bought some after seeing the locals in Zermatt using them http://www.ottinger.co.uk/products/single/categories/schuhkrallen/products/yeti.html
latest report
erica2004, It's a better resort later in the season as the valley is very deep and dark in mid winter. I'm not a fan - I prefer to stay on the Italian side - but I seem to be almost the only one who doesn't 'get it'
snow report
red 27, Yep. I have come to the conclusion that Zermatt is for later in the season for us. It conjures up, for me, sweeping storms and Poirot, gondolas swinging and murders in the high alps Toofy Grin Toofy Grin Toofy Grin
ski holidays
Not trying to influence you too much, but, have you looked at the Zermatt webcams? They've just had the most amazing fall of snow, it's looking great....sure you can't be tempted??
latest report
scotsgirl,
I'm with you. We've had some beautiful blue sky, deep snow holidays in Zermatt in December/January over the years with lunches on the terrace on both the Zermatt and Cervinia sides. Sadly, we won't be here till March this year but ,looking at the Zermatt webcams , we're beginning to regret we won't be there earlier. Best wishes to all those lucky enough to be there over the next week or so.
snow report
We are some of the lucky ones Welshcakes, off tomorrow, and our memories are in line with yours! ( though I am sneaking back at the beginning of April also!)
ski holidays
scotsgirl, snowHead enjoy
snow conditions
Just back from a week in Zermatt. We were lucky with the weather as it seems the week before was very ordinary. We had a great week but personally I would not go back. I can have two weeks in the Dolomites for the price of one in Zermatt. The unanimous decision of the four adults in the group is that the Dolomites is superior in many ways.
snow report
I've skied the Dollies for years and have skied Zermatt a couple of times.

Not a huge fan of Zermatt. Skiing is OK, lifts are a bit disjointed and dated in parts. Food on the mountain is daft money and of variable quality.

Zermatt, like some other Swiss resorts, has snob value. wink
snow report
Yep, we were surprised with the quality of the lift system considering the price of the lift ticket. e.g. The gondola up from Gant to Blauherd is diabolical.
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy