Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

What ski boots

Poster: A snowHead
Looking for a new pair of boots. Tried some head next edge 80s last year. Great boots for ambling round reds but not the right boots for blacks or off piste. Mainly for high speed carving and a bit of off piste and perhaps a race or two so I was thinking a 3 figure flex index?

Just looking fir suggestions that will be hopefully under £250 and available in a colour that goes with fizz orange trousers!!
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
The ones that fit you of course... Toofy Grin
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Or some that don't, make it interesting Razz
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Pi, please don't buy boots that don't fit. Any advice on here will point you towards a boot fitter rather than naming makes/models/flex/last and all that gubbins...
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
£250- you may struggle...
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Go to our own CEM, Lockwoods or Profeet. Tell them what sort of skiing you do. Take their recommendation*. Let them fit your boosts for you. Simples. Almost certainly, you could buy cheaper boots. Don't. Economise on other kit if you must - eg a Keela jacket from admin, rather than something 'cooler' costing £hundreds more.

*When I went to CEM, his advice was to go to Lockwoods, rather than take something unsuitable from his own stock - very honest bloke.
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
queen bodecia, i was only joking:(

achilles, I will see where the nearest is. Thank you
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Where are you Pi? We'll be able to come up with some suggested fitters in your area (and maybe ones to avoid!)
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Leeds, West Yorkshire. That would be helpful davkt!
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
second and third the advice re boot fitter. If you are in Chamonix you could have a look in SOLE boot lab or Sanglard. Both top notch boot fitters. 'boots for blacks or off piste. Mainly for high speed carving and a bit of off piste and perhaps a race or two so I was thinking a 3 figure flex index?' for under £250 might just be a Pi in the sky. Smile
snow conditions
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
I thought the fitters at Glide 'n 'Slide in Otley were good but I'm just a punter so it could just be lucky that they fit! Need to book (and probably increase the budget a bit but not loads)
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Rivington Alpine in Chorley have a good reputation on here, also O know some people don't rate them but I found the Ellis Brigham at Tamworth spot on so the one at Castleford could be worth a try but I'd suggest you ring and find who their trained fitters are and make sure you see one of them rather than just a regular shop assistant.
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
PP, so sky I'm most certainly not in chamonix!! I am not familiar with buying boots, so perhaps the rubbish budget is my mistake!

kewhoward, yeh I've been looking there. Close choice between there and EB at xscape
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
I went to Snowcore in Dundee and got a set of these: http://www.snowcore.co.uk/rossignol-experience-sensor-2-120-ski-boots-id714

and can't wait to try to test them, if only mother nature would play ball and leave some snow in Glenshee then we can get going.
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Glide and Slide in Otley, Rivington Alpine in Chorley or Ellis Brigham in Castleford are all worth a visit and all are good. Depends how far you're willing to travel. I'd suggest Glide and Slide being your closest.
snow report
I think most people on here would say boots are probably the single most important place to spend your money.

They aren't as sexy as a pair of skis or the latest ski jacket with built-in Bluetooth fondu fork set but you will ski much better being comfortable and in full control of a cheap set of hire skis than in pain or with your heal moving around on the worlds best skis.
ski holidays
She/he queen bodecia, is right: The ones that fit you of course...

nothing more to say about it. Smile
ski holidays
Pi, apologies did not mean to offend. It is just that you asked for what is essentially a performance boot and these are stiffer and materials required to get the 'performance' tend to be more expensive. That is not to say that you cant get a good, well fitting and comfortable boot at £250 mark.
My comment re Chamonix was to suggest that you could buy boots in the alps on your next trip as there are some advantages of buying in a resort eg you get to try them out on a proper mountain so if any adjustments are required they can be made when YOU have time to tweak and test out various settings.
ps
some snowheads have gone to Chamonix just to get kitted out.
latest report
I did that. They gave me some superb boots and then I demo'd skis for three days until I found the pair I wanted.
ski holidays
PP, you didn't offend!! I was very grateful for your advice!! Oh I misunderstood I thought you were under the impression I lived there for some reason (wishful thinking). That hasn't even crossed my mind, I was thinking that I would need my boots to go skiing. But I could just get them in the first morning and only lose an hour or two ski time and have a much better fitting boot!!
latest report
Pi, get yourself across to Rivington and see Graham, feel free to buy my Black Diamond Factors if your a MP27, I'm just up the road from you (see my sale thread on here). wink
snow conditions
PP wrote:
Pi, apologies did not mean to offend. It is just that you asked for what is essentially a performance boot and these are stiffer and materials required to get the 'performance' tend to be more expensive.

Umm. I suspect the difference in materials amounts to a few pennies. However the increased marketing costs and the much smaller turnover compared with 'ordinary' boots will make up the £100 (?) difference.
snow report
i agree that the market for performance boots is smaller but not sure why marketing costs should be any different. I am also pretty sure that using carbon etc in boots must add to production costs.
snow conditions
PP, More product development and research costs IMHO. The people buying performance boots and the ski racing market will have very high expectations, there is going to be a lot of work carried out during the design period.
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy