Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

One ski quiver?

Poster: A snowHead
lynseyf, Very true, I remember the B2's being marketed as an expert all mountain ski, I used them from my 5th day skiing, they are a great beginners ski due to being quite forgiving but also allow you to progress.

Sharkymark, That's what I felt about the Enforcers, 98mm and a 19m turn radius so still quite agile on the piste, it's only on stuff like injected race course snow that I've had them totally fail to grip, plus the odd icy mogul field. Just such an easy ski to get on with. Wouldn't mind testing the new Faction range though.
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Sharkymark and lynseyf, its been interesting reading this thread and looking back on what I tried before the Chams.

First up were a couple of Movement skis: Movement Source.
Tried them out after a big dump of rather heavy snow.
Wasn’t that good in the new snow (probably my fault), and tricky to control at speed on the piste, but definitely held an edge very well.
Was told by a mate who knows his skis that they were rather stiff - maybe too stiff for me.
Next was Movement Mosquito.
Much easier on piste, but really a Park Ski – never got a real chance to try in deep snow as that dump soon deteriorated.

Discussion with guys in Hire Shop suggested I try the Cham 87s, but they seemed too much like my Stocklis, and didn’t give them a go.

Then over Easter we had one of those "Try Our Skis" set-ups: a whole load of manufacturers set up to let us try their skis.
It had snowed a fair amount Easter Sunday, so Easter Monday was an ideal day to give some “off piste” skis a try: beautiful sunny day with 20 cm of powder to play in.
First up I tried those Cham 87s. I really liked them, but as I was actually there for some Fat Skis, I quickly moved on.
Next up was the Salomon Rocker 108.
Great big buggars: really heavy, hard work on the piste, and not really any better in the powder than the Cham 87s.
So I went back to Dynastar, but tried the Cham 97s.
Also rather heavy, and again no better in the deep snow than the 87s.

I was getting quite confused. Surely fat skis were the best for powder?
The other guys were on huge skis. Mates were trying out skis 122mm and above!.
I went back to Salomon, and gave the BBR 8.9s a go.
Bit like the Cham 87s on piste, and seemed ok in the deep snow, but another heavy ski.

So, I went back to the 87s again, and just felt relaxed. They were clearly the ski for me.
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Jonpim wrote:
Goodness! Almost every ski mentioned here is for Expert or Hi-expert.
Don't remember many of them when I went on EOSBs back in the noughties.
Don't we have any "normal" skiers here? Or old-timers like me.
I've got a pair of ancient Stormrider XLs, which are great on-piste (though hard work) but beyond my abilitlies off-piste.
So last year, after extensive testing of various skis of all shapes and sizes at the La Plagne Ski-Test weekend (Easter this year), I opted for Dynastar Cham 87s (97s were too heavy and skied like tanks).
They coped with anything and everything: bumps, lumps, hard, soft, powder, slush and sludge. The usual April mixture. Wonderful.
Any other suggestions for average skier one-quiver ski?

I don't get this post, but perhaps I am reading too much into it. The last bit suggests you skied pretty much every surface known to man and did it well. That would make you at least advanced, but possibly more likely an expert. So, why are you looking for average skis?
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
ulmerhutte,
Quote:

why are you looking for average skis?

I can't answer forJonpim, but I have one pair of all-rounders because I can't face faffing about with more than one pair of skis.
My current weapon of choice - I am small, female, old and allegedly upper Level 8/lower Level 9 on the Inside Out scale - is Dynastar Exclusive Eden.
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
I'm ill and laid up in bed so im gonna have a rant about symantics!

I think lynseyf and Jonpim are pretty much spot on! "Expert" is FAR too widely used in skiing these days! Maybe it is because of some elitist subculture in skiing or because we are splashing out huge amounts of money for sports kit so we feel we need the best. But I very much doubt the majority of people using "expert" equipment are real experts!

I think it is just the "Mc Donalds effect" (I have just decided to call it that) first it was small/medium/large then regular/large/XL and now regular/XL/supersize.... same thing in skiing!

An expert leads their field, it is someone who dedicates themselves to what they do! There ARE some experts on this forum but the person that skis 3 weeks a year and can get down a bumpy black run is NOT an expert.

I was in the expensive shop in St Anton last weekend where the assistant proudly told me that he has sold a fair amount of 201 Stöckli Stormrider Pros already this year... If you have bought this ski I can almost certainly garantee you have been over-sold a real expert ski or you should be getting this stuff for free!

back to my honey and lemon tea....
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
I've a pair of 1080 Foils and love them. Decent on piste, decent off piste as they're fairly wide underfoot and they are good for playing withon jumps and stuff.

I tried a pair of piste specific skis a year or two ago and found myself wanting my ski's back again.

There are probably better options out there but I'm pretty happy with what I have and can't really afford to swap them just yet.
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
ulmerhutte, thank you for suggesting i might have skied all that stuff well. Not sure everyone would agree.
I get through it. I don't look too much of an idiot.
I would categorize myself as Proficient rather than Expert (see original Dreyfus model of Skill Acquisition).
My partner says I ski like a girl. My son thinks I'm a woose.
I know the Cham 87s are listed as "intermediate", but i like 'em.
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
dulcamara,
Quote:

im gonna have a rant about symantics
I shall not have a rant - it would be unseemly. wink
latest report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
If I had to choose one ski, I think I'd go Mantra.

No wait, some of the Blizzards I tried recently were good too.

Pick something around 100mm underfoot at the right length for you and you've cracked it. I think demoing can be a mistake Shocked
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
I hired a pair of skis in October when i was skiing waist deep snow and kept sinking, the guy in the shop gave me a pair of K2 Shreditors which had loads of rocker so looked fun but they were like tanks, they did not want to turn and they were so tiring to ski. They were better in untracked deep snow but pretty unmanageable in anything skied out. The guy in the shop seemed really disappointed I didn't love them, no idea who these skis were marketed to but it shows how useless labeling skis as expert is when some are pretty easy to ski in all conditions and others juts want to straightline everything.

dulcamara, The problem is everyone's idea of expert is different. If you have skied 1 week a year for a few years then getting down a bumpy black run is your idea of expert, if you ski all season and have done so for the lats 10 years then your idea of expert will be a little different. Using terrain to judge your ability is very subjective as well, lots of people get down things through going fast, good balance and some natural agility, other people might be better technically but don't like to ski at the edge of their abilities so stick to easier terrain. I also think it is a bit wrong to think you should keep skiing stiffer skis as you progress, soft skis are the best tool for the job in some conditions and stiffer ones on other days.

I'm definitely not an expert, I would class myself as upper intermediate although I would have classed myself at this level for a while now and not really sure how I would decide I am no longer an intermediate Puzzled I might prefer Jonpim, proficient though, I haven't felt like crying when I was skiing for a few years now so something must have improved Little Angel

Mosha Mark not tried any Blizzards yet although they are on the list
latest report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
IMO expert in this case just means at the top end of recreational skiers rather than being a world class skier and the cross over in skis between different 'skill levels' is pretty huge particularly for the err... heavier set.
latest report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Once you get out of the 'recreational skier' realm then you should know damn well where you fit in the scheme of things and do not require labels. It's when you ski with really good people that you realise that you are just a total beginner when it comes down to what the real experts are doing.
snow conditions
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Lets ban the word quiver and skis in the same sentence - please. Once you are getting to to the level that you are truly looking to ski everywhere that usually means more off piste than on, so wider underfoot 90mm to 100mm will help with variable off piste conditions, but inevitably mean a bit less on piste performance on harder flatter pistes, but what you lose on easy pistes I think you gain everywhere else. Have been looking at moving from B2s 78mm underfoot to 90mm+ for this very reason, to help where I need it. Not really a bad review to be had for any skis! But worth trying some, it was a revelation to try my friends Head Monster wider skis that rotate much easier than my B2s.
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Rossi Soul 7s, new this season, pretty much changed the game. 106mm waist, easy to turn, carve etc. and even surprisingly quick edge to edge - relative to their width, before someone corrects me Smile . Worth trying.
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Pi wrote:
in honesty, I think that the people with one set of skis tend to be average skiers. Some eco eras do too but most instructors I am friends with (not many) have 5 or 6 pairs.

I have 4 pairs of skis but since I bought Rossi S7s at the beginning of last season, I have skied nothing but the S7s off piste, on piste and on every type of snow (and I spent a full season in Cham last season, so that was a whole lot of skiing). Am now planning to sell my other three pairs because the S7s are definitely the answer to my own one ski quiver question. I guess that makes me an average skier. Actually, I am an average skier Embarassed

Peterkct, the Soul 7s look good but think that they may be a tad too soft in cruddy stuff?
latest report
Zero_G, Correct.Soul 7s do not like frozen hard crud, perhaps because they are too light rather than too soft, but others are better judges of that than I am. They are OK once the crud softens up a bit in the sun. Also, not the best for super high speed on hard piste, but fine for normal high speed as long as you are using a bit of edge - they are a bit flappy on a schuss.

I am a holiday skier, just about advanced, but certainly no expert, so they suit me fine. particularly as they are easy to ski lazily when conditions permit (I am in my 60s now). Probably too soft for genuine experts.
snow conditions
Pedantica, Funnily enough I would say my skiing sits about the same level on the Inside Out Skiing scale (which is probably the best I've come across so far) and I ended up with Whitedot Preachers. At 112mm waist they're rather wide but the sidecut means you really can use them on steep icy pitches as well as knee deep powder. So far my favourite ski I've ever owned or skied on.
latest report
Jonpim,
As a matter of interest, what size were the Cham 87's you chose? I am looking for a bargain in the sales (unfortunately I have not tried them & will not be able to before everything is back to full price again) & these sound just what i am looking for.

I am 5 11 & 170 lbs (77kg). The Cham 87's are only available in 178, for £310 including bindings. I was thinking of getting these & a pair of fatter ones (like Rossignol Soul 7 at 180) for a full season in Chamonix next year. I am not especially good, but hope to become better.

feedback appreciated
ski holidays
Jonpim,

p.s. any difference between the orange & the blue versions?
snow report
HammondR,

What I'm going to say is probably worthless given I haven't skied on them (!) but from what you say, and what I have heard, I'd have thought Cham 87's in 178 would be pretty much spot on for what you want. Afterall they are not too hardcore yet were pretty much designed for skiing all over the mountains in the Chamonix valley.

Cheers,
J
snow report
Peterkct, I managed to get a pair of Soul 7s from Decathlon for only £280. I like them a lot as they're really easy to ski and cope with most conditions pretty well. I don't mind the tips flapping a bit as long as the edge grip is OK, which it is. I'm 6' and 73kg and imagine they won't suit heaver people who will need something more substantial.
snow report
Why is it that every time that the subject turns to rockered skis, the flappy tips 'problem' gets legitimised? Come on guys do you spend much time skiing and staring at your skis!!! Toofy Grin
snow report
Kelskii,
£280 is a snip and a half. Did you get 180's?
snow conditions
Kelskii, welcome to the happy skiers club Very Happy
I am 5'9, 80kg, and find the 180 cm Soul7s spot on.
ski holidays
HammondR, yes, that's all Decathlon had in stock and they're fine for me. Daleskier, I agree, flappiness is a non-issue.
ski holidays
Hi HammondR I'm an aged intermediate,of similar size & weight to you, and recently bought the cham 87's in 172 cm from glisshop at a very reasonable price having hired them previously for a couple of weeks & really enjoyed them.
ski holidays
I'm happy with my Movement Jam for 90% of the terrain I ski, but at 87 underfoot it's not the floatiest, so I've got a pair of Majesty Superior which are 115 underfoot for the powpowpow... If I had to have just one ski, I'd probably go for the Movement Source, now renamed the Chillout. Basically the same as the Jam, but 97 underfoot. I skied the Source at the beginning of the 12/13 season and loved them.
latest report
Since it has come up, I tried the whiteout zero one on the eosb and struggling to find a reason not to buy - it is as close to one ski quiver as I think it is possible to get. Quite remarkable, and just about wide enough for all mountain.
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Skied 2 seasons on line pollard opus, I can go anywhere I want in any of the conditions that I would want to be on the mountain.........
snow report
Scott Aztec , by no means an expert but over 25 years skiing.They can 'do pretty much anything from skiing with kids to winding it up on hard pack.
ski holidays
Been very happy skiing 173cm Coreupt The Caspers twin tips, centre mounted the past two seasons (112-79-105) - Brecon Beacons National Park, Wales & Hokkaido.

Changing to 176cm Majesty Local Hero twin tips for next winter (116-82-111)
snow report
+1 Head Venturi 95
snow report
Mistress Panda, it's interesting you mention The Whitedot Ones - I've just bought a pair to upgrade from Scott Aztec Pro's (which are excellent in everything but deep powder). Never skied them but heard really good things - hopefully all true!

I notice you talk about the zero ones, I think I'm right in saying they're new for next season and have a rocker rather than flat camber? How did they perform on piste / bumps etc?
snow conditions
Mike Pow, I just had a look at those - tempting..
snow conditions
nickr, they were the new Zero Ones. I didn't chuck them through a proper mugul field, but they had no issue with tight turns and coping with harder pistes. I'd certainly have no concerns about picking my way through a set of big bumps in them, which is more than I can say for anything I've skied in the 90mm category. On piste, even firm piste, they carved like a slalom ski. The difference between these and the 70mm waist skis I played with afterwards was minimal. They do have rocker, which made the 180s feel like about 167, from what I understand they are quite different from the old model but I don't know the technical details - Spyderjon or Dot are the ones to ask on that.

If I was heading into balls-deep powder every day I'd go for something wider, but for the number of occasional forays I tend to do they should be good allrounders. If it does properly hoof it down overnight it isn't difficult to go and rent some really big skis. As a result they are as close to a one ski quiver as I've encountered.
snow report
AndAnotherThing.. wrote:

The Majesty?

Great price.
snow conditions
Quote:

They do have rocker, which made the 180s feel like about 167, from what I understand they are quite different from the old model but I don't know the technical details - Spyderjon or Dot are the ones to ask on that.

The Zero is completely new for 2014/15, the only similarity between it and the One is the sidecut ie 119-89-113...which in ski design is very little! The Zero has a generous amount of tip/tail rocker but a full effective edge which means when they are layed over the whole edge engages and is "pre curved" by the flat camber, making them amazingly easy to carve IMO. They also have a unique flex pattern to match the rocker profile and sit in between the Park.One and One skis in terms of stiffness.
snow conditions
Mike Pow wrote:
AndAnotherThing.. wrote:

The Majesty?

Great price.

Hmm...Never come across them before but anyone that calls a ski the Dirty Bear is probably ok. Knife looks bonkers a Shaman on steroids.
snow report
Like a few others, I'm a big Scott Aztec fan. I was about to retire mine but, having come across some cheap touring bindings in a sale, they are now going to be in service for at least another year!

For the past decade they've been all I've needed*; I enjoy the sensation of skiing in powder rather than on powder, so none of this 100mm newfangled stuff for me.

* disclosure - I did pick up some Scott Surf airs in the end of season sale this year, so will now have 2 pairs. I'm no longer a 1 pair quiverer.

Edited for nonsense grammar
snow conditions
I tested a pair of the 2014/15 Blizzard Brahmas this winter and thought that they were a superb all mountain ski. They feel like a fat GS ski that goes pretty much anywhere and skis most snow if you prefer a stiffer style ski. I skied them around on very firm spring pistes and then in varying degrees of mush, and off piste in crud and corn snow. They even ski soft bumps nicely but I reckon they could be a handful with frozen chopped up snow... Didn't get to try their float out but reliable sources have said they ski well in powder.

I liked them so much I've got a pair on order in a 180 Very Happy

I tried the Bushwacker in a 173 but that felt a bit too soft and short for me. Suspect the 180 version could be an interesting ski if you want something a bit more playful in the soft stuff and bumps.
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy