Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Crampons on ski touring boots - old climbing pairs fit perfect.

Poster: A snowHead
OK, they are mid rather than light weight, but they don't even need any size adjustment from my climbing boots.

But I think I may get laughed at for being a little over equipped Laughing Laughing Laughing

snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
You will have the last laugh if you have to scramble over some rocks, or find yourselves on something a bit hard or steep. Also nice to have the anti balling plate, I've found myself having to whack my crampons every other step with my ice axe, not nice. Can you remove the center front point?
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Bring on the gnarl!!

You'll look lovvery with those and your mountain jewellery dancing on the tables at the Folie Duoce:-D
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
Yeah, you can also put the other on to convert back to dual points. But mono is so much more versatile. Having front points even for easy scrambles is desirable. I also have some old adjustable Grivel 2F crampons, those 'pie-cutter' frames really need the anti ball plates, they don't half jam up.

These M10's also telescope in to make a smaller package for sticking in the sack, actually quite a good all rounder for something intended purely for ice and mixed climbing.

For the sake of five hundred grams I'm not spending £100 for something I'll only use on a few tours that involve rocks and ice. http://www.snowandrock.com/pws/UniqueProductKey.ice?ProductID=GRI007000&gclid=CJbNxuOmsLsCFWzHtAodXncAfA&gclsrc=aw.ds

Last edited by You need to Login to know who's really who. on Sat 14-12-13 18:13; edited 2 times in total
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
betterinblack, It's when you jump off the table and nail yourself to the decking Shocked Stops you falling over when drunk, plus someone else has to go to the bar Toofy Grin
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
I too go a bit over equipped in the crampon department. BD Sabertooths, there's more often than not a bunch of rock at least at some point so I just prefer having stronger crampons.
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Avalanche Poodle, they look 'mean' !! Twisted Evil
snow conditions
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Good for kicking the people in front in restaurant queues.

meh, Sabertooths are a top technical tool Smile It's always nice when you can make one bit of kit serve a multitude of functions. And it also means you can climb up a gully for a quick descent back down.
latest report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Avalanche Poodle, given there are bug all lifts of consequence here I'm pretty much always climbing ridges or gullies and the wind makes sure crampons are a good plan. Am no crazy winter or ice climber but for II/III ground I do like having two tools and decent crampons. Last year I climbed a simple gully with bulletproof neve at the top and wished I'd had two tools as the wind coming over the top was ferocious and blowing us about a fair bit with skis on our packs. Skiing can be an odd sport. Very Happy
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
meh, Yup, as the terrain gets steeper having the right kit makes things much safer. I got into skiing after about 15 years of rock and ice climbing so was quite happy on steep ground. Just trying to get back into the ice again, maybe combine the sports and get into some ski mountaineering Toofy Grin

I've been in windy situations like that, once had a compression zone just for the top 50m of a Welsh mountain. The ground was wind polished ice, and even kneeling down you were being blown along the ground unless you could jam onto a rock. We didn't even have axes as that top was the only bit of snow/ice there was, it was a strange sensation sliding along.
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Yeah am very much the opposite a skier that started climbing. Only really started climbing six years ago.
snow conditions
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Getting into new things is what keeps our sense of enthusiasm up Very Happy
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
meh, I have Sabretooths too (though am a little worried about the failure of stainless issues and BDs lack of consideration or comment). I don’t tour enough to warrant a dedicated pair, they’re not that heavy and climbing wise, the twin flat points are ideal for snow/snice/Scottish ice and easy mixed. I also used to carry a Quark as my axe (as that’s all I had) but have picked up a short Raven Ultra that has now never left my pack/shoulder straps! Not sure I’d be loving a vertical mono point on late season snice but that’s just me…..
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Avalanche Poodle, Well I've found my DMM Terminators comforting on the Midi snow arête. I bet mono points are very useful for fiddling with Dynafit bindings too.
latest report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
On the rocks, Shhh, I've converted the soles to Alpine DIN wink Using them in the Saloman Guardian / Atomic Tracker binding, I can always get a resole later if I switch to a lighter weight pin binding.
snow report
Are they vulcans that you've done that to? if so ... Crying or Very sad Crying or Very sad Crying or Very sad Crying or Very sad Crying or Very sad
latest report
phew just realised they are ones.. Laughing Laughing
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy