Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Les Houches - questions - please help if you know the resort

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
Hi everybody, hope this is not a stupid question, we are family of six going to Les Houches in Jan. Husband does not ski, but would like to help the younger children (aged 8 and 9) who went on their first ski hol last year and mastered snowplough turns and button lifts on green slopes. I am a nervous unfit "return to ski-ing" sort, who will give it a go, but likes wide blues (and none too confident on chairlifts either lol !). Daugter (15) is a blue who has done 8 days skiing in total and lacks confidence (but is fitter than me, and laughs at my chairlift issues !) Son, 16, has also done 8 days ski-ing but is fearless, "natural" skied alone last year, likes reds, will come down a black (I fret)

Question is about liftpasses - in Les Houches they seem to do one that you pay for 2 adults (me and son - annoying just 16!) and 15 daughter, and all other two kids go free ? have I read this correctly firstly. The second is what is best for my husband, he doesn't ski, but think he'd like to be up the top with the younger kids - does he just pay 16 euro - there is another price bracket that says "handisport and PMR" 8 euro, but I don't know what this means.

Also I want to get some more tuition - I've always liked group sessions and think it will help the children (they like company) but often schools don't run them early Jan (we arrive 4th for a week) - we paid for a couple of private lessons last year and that was fine, but probably can't afford to buy too many - any pointers would be welcome ?

We are staying in les Balcons d'Anaite which is a bit of a hike from the bottom of the Bellevue lift (think about a mile) but we like walking, so thinking of hiring gear at the bottom of the lift/storing overnight - again - any recommendations ?

Sorry to ask so many questions, but have always respected how helpful this forum is, and know that someone out there will know the answers

PS. If you can recommend a nice flattish widish blue for me to repeat endlessly until my confidence is up, i am forever grateful.....
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Hi sjpkgp,

Yep, other kids free it reads to me. €16 for an up and down looks right too. Handisport, etc. is for adaptive skiing and something called PMR which I don't know either.

I'd have thought the ESF would be running group lessons. Private lessons also good but I don't feel you need them every day. Different for the kids, I suspect.

No idea about somewhere at the Bellevue, there are at least one ski shops there, I'd imagine one would let you overnight kit that you'd rented?? looks likeabout a km walk. but more or less flat.

Forget colours of runs. You want to stay higher up most of the time as it's Jan and a bit chilly out of the sun. The reds to the left on the map of the Prarion aren't much steeper than an average blue (if at all) and wide and usually well pisted. Most of the stuff up there should be fine...

Have a great time. We like Les Houches a lot.
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Hi,
There is a free bus, runs along the valley every half an hour or so. So you can get on the Bellevue and go the the top where the first run has a button and is green I think or you can carry on up to the Prarion, where there are a few cafes at the roadside. I think it is a Blue comes down to there.
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
sjpkgp, if you have lessons the Prarion gondola lift might suit you better. From the bottom of the Bellevue cable car station you can walk up behind the car park and get three chairs that take you to the top of the Parion. The buses are the way to go, don't walk too far in ski boots. At the top of the Parion there is a flat snow shoe track for your other half. There is a very nice flattish blue thro the trees at the Parion, is a bit of a faff you have to ski down the bunny run at the top first. Have a great time. BASS Chamonix
http://www.basschamonix.com
are a very good outfit if you want a couple of private lessons, they are all English, or Scottish, or Irish. Very Happy
If you need anymore info please say.

http://www.leshouches.com/pdf/plan-pistes-les-houches.pdf
5 nice blues from the Parion and one from the top of Bellevue.
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Many thanks to you all - been studying piste map and doesn't sound like we will struggle too badly. Looks like the 16 euro return is the way to go for husband - not worth getting him a pass - and good that the younger two go free (think this is partly why i originally chose the resort). Will get the navette also. Thanks again, very helpful, S
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
Can't really help with the detail, but have been in les Houches both of the last two seasons for short trips with my, then, 13 yr old son & 12 yr old daughter respectively. Both very successful. Son will have a go at anything, but daughter quite timid. Skied the chamois, liaison, la cha & abbaye with daughter while braver son tended to be more drawn to downhill runs back into town either side of theKandahar. His first black was schuss des dames.
would recommend a private lesson or two. We used esf & got a guy called francis. He was very good & my son progressed remarkably quickly. Don't forget that in a group lesson with a dozen clients, that's only 5 mins of the instructor's time per hour,
As for your confidence builder I'd ride the ecole chair (oops) and then progress over towards the la cha drag (&restaurant!)
the restaurant labelled 2 on that linked map above, is good, reasonable and full of lifties & instructors.
one thing I would note is the red bowl below the top of the Bellevue cable car tended to be full of English kids in race gear and a little lacking in mountain etiquette.....
You'll love les Houches and if you're up towards the Chamonix end of the town for dinner, the Hotel St Antoine does amazing pizza
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Forgot to say we hired from ski-perf, cheapest in town and lovely friendly service. Even at half term last year it was fine on the navette with all your gear.
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy