Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Looking after ski boots

Poster: A snowHead
So I am going on my first ski holiday next month and have purchased some boots.... I over heard someone saying in the shop about care of your boots / taking the liner out etc etc...

Is there anything I should or shouldnt be doing with my ski boots in the evening? I have superfeet insoles if that makes any difference!
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Stroke them, and read them a bedtime story Very Happy
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Just leave them somewhere secure, warm and dry at the end of the day.
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Em1986, folk say take liners out; I've never done so. I do buckle them up though and take advantage of any boot driers that might be available
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
In all honesty new boots, leave buckled up when not in use, liner take out if damp to dry,
If new and u are going skiing I would wear them around the house, doing the ironing in them to help shape liner to your feet and for your feet to get used to the boot

GOOD LUCK on 1st ski holiday, hope the bug bites you
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Keeping them dry and letting them dry out properly will help by : not allowing mildew or other damp-loving bacteria grow. Help them to stop smelling quite so bad after a few weeks, and also be more comfortable putting them on in the morning.

Other than that, there's not much else you need to do. Take the inner boot out to help them dry. After a couple of seasons, depending on use, check the boot sole for wear to make sure it's still going to work with the binding release.
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
feef, thatàs a good point, if you walk in them enough, reminds me to look at mine tomorrow after 120 days...
snow conditions
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Thanks everyone, Good idea, I am going to the snowdome again a few times before I go as well so hopefully that will help me get used to them.. SO much more comfortable so far than the ones I was wearing at the dome!
Thank you all Smile
latest report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Haha just read the stroke them and read them a bed story comment, lol.. I guess my wording does sound odd... may try it if it will help me improve performance quicker Laughing
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Mine like being taken to Austria and danced on tables Toofy Grin
snow conditions
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Haha this is making me laugh now reading it back.... Laughing
latest report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Em1986, We don't do much with them when we are away other than keep them buckled up when your not wearing them and use boot dryers if available. It is however important to take out the liners when you get home and dry everything thoroughly. When you have taken out the liners to dry, buckle up the shells again, and don't put the liners and shells anywhere too warm, you could damage the shape.
latest report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Some boots are much easier to put on if you put the liner on first, then slip it into the shell. A tiny spray of silicon lube onto the mid rear of the shell is a common trick.
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Take out the liners, and take the insoles out of the liners. And then leave them somewhere warmish over night. Means lovely dry boots every morning. But not too warm, otherwise your beautifully fitted boots will no longer be the same shape. On a radiator with a towel under them, IMO.

I am always surprised that (almost) nobody else bothers to do this. How often am I asked, "Why are you doing that?" as I struggle to get my liners out of the boots.
latest report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
so putting a towel on a radiator and then sticking the liners on there is fine? Not too hot?
latest report
38.175 degrees centigrade Laughing
snow conditions
I take mine back to the hotel, pull the liners out and dry the shells. Then put the plug in boot driers into the liners, and gloves in there too

Result, next morning the boots are fully dry, don't smell and the liners are lovely and toasty. Much better and you get to watch all those that stuck their boots on the pathetic cold draft machine that turned off at 5 mins past them putting their boots on the dryer realising they are still damp and cold

Dry feet are warm feet
snow report
My boots never smell
ski holidays
I just find normal room temps dry them out fine by morning, most ski apartments have fairly dry air due to the heating. As long as someone doesn't throw up in them after a night out Laughing
ski holidays
my boots don't smell, either. I don't take the liners out to dry them because it hurts my arthritic fingers. I do put them on a cold air dryer all night though and never leave them out in the cold. I have a warm air blower I stick in them for an hour or so before putting them on in the morning.
latest report
The dry air is due to low humidity in central europe and high altitude rather than to any heating.
latest report
Mine tend to dry out fine for reuse in the hotel drying room during the holiday then when I get home I take the linings out and dry everything properly
snow report
Peter S, Aye, that's true Smile
ski holidays
Em1986, If your accommodation has a decent heated boot rack then that should be fine to dry them out over night. But if you have been in a lot of wet snow and water has penetrated, then I'm with James the Last. Take the liners out to dry over night, and towel dry the shells.
latest report
mozwold, It's skiing not water skiing Puzzled
latest report
Try spring skiing in 20C through slush and pools of water Laughing
snow report
Avalanche Poodle, I have in Soll late March 2012 very slushy in the afternoons temps between 16 and 20c skiing in t-shirts but I must say inside my boots got no damper than when skiing -20 in La Plagne earlier in the season. Maybe different boots leak more than others and I was lucky mine didn't
snow conditions
jirac18, Yup, I've never had major leakage (ooo errr missus) either, but if skiing very hard in hot weather you can sweat a fair bit. Some models of boots do tend to leak around the tongue area though.
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
If you've got moulded footbeds and the boot room has heated metal 'prongs' you slide your boot over take the footbeds out. Some can get hot-enough to mould the tip of the prong in to your footbed.
latest report
/\ what he said... The heat from heated dryers takes the shape out of the footbeds if you've had them moulded. Happened to me. They dry fine if left in a warm room. If they're really damp, take out the liners (which is a pain), remove the footbeds, and dry them that way. When you store them keep them done up on the loosest setting with the velcro strap done up too. It helps them keep their shape.
ski holidays
CEM told me never to use the heater dryers on the boots he sold me as they will deform the bits that are heated up to get the fitting correct.
latest report
BlueSky, If you grab the back of the liner and push forward after loosening the tongue they tend to pop out fairly easily. It really is more of a knack than brute strength. A light touch of silicon spray on the back of the shell can assist, many racers do that for their very close fitting boots. Wonder if Zardoz would work the same Smile
snow report
Never leave your boots out somewhere cold overnight, like in the boot of the car, for example.

I made this mistake once, and was in a world of pain the next day getting the boots on as they had stiffened up overnight in the cold. My mate's boots were even worse, it took about half an hour of him screaming like a baby trying to get his on. For something that is designed to be used in very cold environments I was amazed at the difference it made.
ski holidays
Whitters wrote:
Never leave your boots out somewhere cold overnight, like in the boot of the car, for example.

Learnt the same lesson last year. One evening we ended up with skis/boots back at the chalet, not in the usual store so being nice people we all put the wet, smelly stuff in the garage. Oh how the host laughed at us next morning saying "Why didn't you just leave them in the chalet?". Git Smile
ski holidays
Get some of these.

No more damp inners or stiff shells in the morning
ski holidays
I do have a pair of the silica gel boot dryers, fantastic low tech way to dry them. During the day leave on a radiator or hang from a window catch, at night place inside liner.
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy