Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Photos from Super St Bernard, Switzerland

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
We spent some time in the Alps this summer in Chatel and decided to complete a nice (long) loop over several cols and 3 countries in the day including the Montets, Saisies, Cormet de Roseland, the Pt St Bernard and the Grand St Bernard.

On the way down from the Gd St Bernard is a mini station called Super st Bernard which looks like it was frozen in time from years gone by. Curious, we got out and went for a wander, initially to look through the windows of the now deserted day-lodge/bottom station of the gondola.

I have to say it was fascinating, literally looked like someone had just opened the door and kept walking, left in the main untouched for years. Oddly in the lift station, despite the cabins being scattered around, the engine and control room were open, paperwork and logs left laying about and keys in the panels.

A quick google after the visit suggested that operations of the 60's era lift were ceased some time back due to essential maintenance being required and no funding to complete. Plans appear to have been attempted to update and relaunch the place as recently as a couple of years ago but so far there is nothing suggesting imminent activity.

Thought I'd share the pics Happy

Up on the Grand Ste Bernard in the sleet in August!

You can find more details on its struggle to stay afloat here

http://www.rts.ch/info/suisse/2590737-la-station-valaisanne-du-super-st-bernard-a-l-arret.html

http://www.lesuper.ch/

David
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Super St Bernard was a very good place to ski.
Like a mini La Grave : 1 main lift, 2 valleys, mainly off piste skiing.
At the end of the day you could ski a 10km off piste route over the back to Etroubles in Italy and get the bus back through the tunnel.
Spent some very good times at SSB when I have been in CH over the years.

They closed down in 2010 : I think they basically couldn't afford to replace the old telecabin which didn't pass a safety certificate.
Surprised, and sad, someone didn't bail them out given the history of skiing in the area and amount of money in Valais canton.
The top station is at 2800m and the resort got almost twice as much snowfall as Verbier. Though its position on the border was *very* windy for the alps and you had to drive past lots of other ski areas to get there so skier numbers were always low.

I hope they sort something out....

Pics from 2008 here
http://www.haggistrap.co.uk/verbier/VerbierRoadTripStBernard.shtml
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
skinutter, Great photos...really interesting.
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
skinutter, and Haggis_Trap, thanks for the pics, they make my heart bleed.

I loved that place, the remoteness, the quality of the skiing, the frontier feel and the wonderful descent down into Etroubles, which we always combined with a slap up lunch in the Hotel Croix Blanche. It's a real loss to the Verbier St Bernard region, but I hear nothing on the grapevine about plans to bring it back. Looking at the pics, it looks like it's gone beyond refurb and it's now in replacement territory.

I have wondered how long it would take to skin up to the frontier, but I reckon it's a pretty big hike.......
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
skinutter, I see the ghost of one of the old lift operators in one of those photos. Uncanny. wink Must be specially sad for people who knew the place to see it all dilapidated and deserted like that.
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
Wow. How many places are there like this in the alps that are closed down but still have the infrastructure there? At an elevation of 2800m, I'm very surprised this ace hasn't been snapped up by someone!
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Haggis_Trap, Looks like you had a SUPER day out!
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
pam w wrote:
skinutter, I see the ghost of one of the old lift operators in one of those photos. Uncanny. wink Must be specially sad for people who knew the place to see it all dilapidated and deserted like that.

Laughing Ah yes, i see what you mean now lol
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy