Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Home run fun in Ischgl

Poster: A snowHead
Here's a clip from TBFilms (Tscherno-Bill-Films) showing why some days it's good to take the gondola down. Taken in Ischgl - does anyone know what piste it is (so that I can avoid it)?

TBfilms Ischgl 01

If you look carefully, you'll see a few skiers showing how it should be done.

And if you liked that, here's another...

TBfilms Ischgl 02

I hope the Facebook links work.

BTW Robbie Williams is to star at the Ischgl end of season concert, 3rd May 2014. But I don't know if he'll be skiing this run Laughing
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
espri, Laughing Laughing Laughing
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
espri, Red 1 I think?

The Ischgl 'home runs' are absolutely fantastic with some steep sections and are only really avoided by the downride of shame.

They're best enjoyed in the day as traffic can be an issue in the late afternoon when they all steam out the Paznauner apres hut 3 sheets

Conditions seem ok in these clips if perhaps the piste is a tad on the firm side wink

Last edited by Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see? on Thu 12-12-13 21:40; edited 1 time in total
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
I can't view it on my ipad but I'm guessing it's the red piste 1 , very slushy with moguls late on in the afternoon.
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
gad, slush was not the issue on this occasion!
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
red 27 wrote:
gad, slush was not the issue on this occasion!

Ha ha ok, I'll take your word for it, we went in '11 and we hardly saw a cloud all week! Great for the pictures but not for the skiing!
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Yes, the main run home is no. 1 which splits into 1 and 1a about half way down taking you to different sides of the village.I've skied it many, many times. However, I don't recognise the piste on the video in relation to 1 or 1a. Seems more like 5 or 7 which start higher than 1 and join it further down. Could be wrong though.

Last edited by Then you can post your own questions or snow reports... on Thu 12-12-13 21:47; edited 1 time in total
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
espri, rolling eyes rolling eyes Shocked

Thanks for that just blew wine through my nose-particularly in clip one when someone cam in really gun hoe!

Can't tell due to the res but doesn't look particularly scrapped or icy? It as bad as I've seen in a home run, red run into Plagne 1800 is up there, Happy Valley in St anton is hilarious when things get churned up.....
latest report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Laughing Laughing Laughing

and it's a "downride of shame" to choose to avoid that carnage? The few people in control are quite likely to be taken out by one of the majority who are not.
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
pam w, oh silly me missed off the irony icon wink

When I go there I ski the wonderful home run all lunchtime and then 'shamefully' avoid becoming piste-kill come 4.30 by relaxing with a bifta as the gondola takes me serenely home
latest report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Check out the person in the white and purple (I think) jacket on the second video. They must have been taken out, or very nearly taken out 4 or 5 times in the space of 90 seconds!
snow conditions
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
I've been to Ischgl lots and have never seen anything anywhere near as icy as that.
latest report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Corky, I was wondering about that. I'd say that run should have been closed, especially given the big number of people likely to try skiing down it. Maybe there were signs at the top warning people of the danger?
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Corky, It is steep in places and faces due north and as the only way down (on skis) it does get some serious traffic.

IMV that looks fine to me - those people are just out of their depth on a steep pitch of hardpack. Half of them just bottle it, try to be 'defensive' and have effectively fallen before they've begun
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Corky, pam w, As said in my previous post can't really tell due to the res of the video, sound indicates hard packed, I thought I was seeing some loose snow and some kicked up. Generally seems to be people out of their comfort zone recipe for disaster for sure- superman snowboarder (head first in video one!)
snow conditions
Sounded a bit hard packed but as a very few showed perfectly skiable if you were a) good enough b) trusted your edges and c) didn't get taken out by someone not fulfilling a and b! The second snowboarder in the first video caused some impressive mayhem with his sideways tomahawk down the piste!
ski holidays
1:36 in the 2nd vid and someone finally goes down with a degree of decorum.
snow report
davkt, yes, it was perfectly skiable, but when it's guaranteed that a load of muppets, some of them drunk, are going to head down regardless, there must be a case for closing it.
snow report
pam w, they'd have to close the whole resort if they used those criteria Shocked
snow conditions
pam w, I agree with you, there seemed (from the limited footage) an easy opportunity for someone to come in with decent enough momentum to hurt one or more people (domino effect!) personally unless the cover us patchy I don't see this happen often or over the pond a warning notice stating such but the piste/run not closed-down to the individual.

I love a week or two of 'spring skiing' in any given season different set of problems to what appears in the video(s) there seems to be a certain amount of 'bravado' involved with Joe Public not downloading at the end of the day in conditions beyond their ability. Nothing quite like ruining a good days skiing by taking one run too many.....
ski holidays
mm, I was surprised how quiet it was. Much busier than that at the end of the day normally. As I say I'm not convinced that it is run no. 1 which is pretty much all tree lined whereas there's barely a tree to be seen on the video. Looks much more like 5 or 7.
ski holidays
Season ski bum there in 85. Both runs were much narrower.Even back then it was possible to ski to town until the last day of the season. It was tradition to race down at the end of the day with the lifties.....last one into Cafe Christine bought the beers.
latest report
Quote:

Much busier than that at the end of the day normally.

Shocked I'm glad I ski in a quiet area!
ski holidays
Looks like the section of Black 4 down from the Pardatschgrat, just before it joins Red 5.
ski holidays
Bottom of 7 7A
We have been to Ischgl a few times and the run has been closed most of the time not sure if that's due to avalanche risk
Times I have skied it it was icy but was very quiet unlike on the film
As others have said the runs to the village are nice for most of the day pre finishing time they are proper reds though
We get the gondola down if its after 3pm or at least from mid station
Going back this year love the place and we are not party animals anymore
snow report
Garfield, I think 7A was closed all last season. It was where a Swedish skier was killed in an avalanche a couple of yeas ago. I'll be back this season as well.
snow report
looks like Red 40, at the Gampenalp end of the resort.
About 3/4 of the way down the piste narrows as it goes through a gully.
snow report
Unless the snow is absolutely fantastic, I wouldn't ski down to Ischgl! I skied down to the Hotel Elisabeth in the fog and ice once, never again!! Shocked
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Says in the the text under the film in the comments section that it is the Gampenabfahrt (Gampen descent).

Looking at the maps I would say it is the narrow section on Piste No.1 below the middle station. On days like the one shown there, I would simply ski down to the middle station and download. I prefer to measure my time so I can ski every day and narrow sections of runs down to the resorts at the end of the day are lethal, not because I cannot ski them, but the drunk drivers are just too unpredictable. It is the same everywhere, not just Ischgl or St Anton, I've seen drunks trying to ski down in all areas of the Alps.
snow conditions
On piste 1, its the top section down to the middle station which is normally the smoothest. From the mid stations the left side of the valley is by far the easier, if you opt for the right side (Run 1a) the final stretch down to the Pardatschgrat can be a little challenging, but its not impossible..
Another alternative is Red 3 from Hollboden, but can get icy in the middle third.
snow conditions
We did this run everyday last year as the last run of the day (if it is Red 1).

What we couldn't fathom, was that there was about 30 cms of semi-decent powder on the sides of the run (which we rode with a huge smile), whilst the German/Austrian/Dutchies, were all struggling like the vid on the piste.

From memory, that was Ischgl in a nutshell for us - untouched goodness right next to pistes, whilst 99% of the punters were on the piste...
ski holidays
Oh good, I'll look forward to that in January. The snowboarder in the yellow jacket in the first video, for the win.

Laughing
ski holidays
stanton wrote:
... it was possible to ski to town until the last day of the season.

Yeah, I rode down there on the last day of last season, no bid deal. I also rode down there the day before, when it was way icier than you're looking at there.

I can't see what the problem is myself. It's a piste with beginners on it. Personally I learnt to ride better than that before I got to snow, but some people prefer to learn on snow, that's what they're doing.

That surface seems to work some of the time for some of the people: I don't see or hear anyone competent hitting blue ice there. I'd guess it's ski school closing time or something.

I don't think you'd really notice that at all, riding down. A couple of turns and you'd be through them - they're not riding erratically or anything, just falling over.

I don't see any huge danger there - you'd be able to dance past them pretty easily as the crowd density wasn't that high, and there's no sign that the snoww
snow report
As Garfield, says it looks like 7a, which can get pretty slick, easy to avoid as there is a chairlift that departs just before you get to this section at the bottom of 7. It is not usually particularly crowded but you do get a bit of a build up at this point as it narrows and gets slick, it is also often in a bit of shadow and the light gets a bit flat.
Not the standard way home and esy to avoid though the very last bit of 1a can be pretty slick and does get crowded at the end of the day, care is needed.
ski holidays
Von wann ist der Film ? War am Sonntag an der Stelle. Eisplatte unter der Schneekanone unfahrbar. Gampenabfahrt

DEefineately #40
ski holidays
Bob, thought I would bump this thread as a few folk are discussing Ischgl
We were back last March and I now agree its run 40 not 7a
Never cane across it with that may people on it or that icy though Shocked

Last edited by You'll need to Register first of course. on Thu 28-08-14 19:24; edited 1 time in total
latest report
Thanks Garfield, made me chuckle Smile
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy