Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Plagne 1800 Bars etc

Poster: A snowHead
One of the options I'm looking at for my January trip this year is Plagne 1800. Last time I was there was about 20 years ago and there was one bar and a dire night club (which I think I've grown out of now). What bar options are there now and is there anywhere decent for apres?

Thanks in advance Very Happy
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
one bar and a dire night club Toofy Grin
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
jirac18, at least there are no dire night clubs in Bisanne 1500. wink
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Good, my kids could do without the embarrassment of seeing me dancing whilst full of vin rouge! Embarassed
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
La Mine is the only bar of any note that I can remember (was there in 2003) and quite sedate it was too.
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
halfhand, that's the one. was there last two years. I think there was talk of another opening but don't know if it has?
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
jirac18, Actually it was ok for a few quiet beers after skiing. They did have live music a couple of nights too.

The only place that could be said to be lively was the dutch bar in Plagne Centre (I think).
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Scottys bar in Centre is the pick of the bunch and liveliest with the yoots of today......i'm more cigar, slippers and a nice Bordeaux these days Crying or Very sad
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
There was (in 09) a little French bar come pizzeria too. There's one in-between this and La Mine, Brit owned I think with a happy hour-that got pretty packed at times.

1800 isn't the place for après-not sure about the other bases.
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
jirac18 wrote:
halfhand, that's the one. was there last two years. I think there was talk of another opening but don't know if it has?

In 2011 there was the mine and also the 'bobsleigh' which was a bit up the hill from the melezes lift station. Big sign hanging up outside of a bobsleigh was the give away

Not a bad place to watch a match otherwise about as soulless as watford gap services on a wet tuesday in january. Dunno if it's still there..

i much preferred the previous la mine, back in '00 or '01 IIRC, had a much more traditional feel, then new one feels a bit 'disney' for my liking
latest report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
bertie bassett, Bobsleigh that's the one I was thinking of!

I like how this and La Mine are described on the official LP website:-

La Mine

One of the only bars in Plagne 1800, La Mine is all about quality, not quantity. Plagne 1800 is where most season worker accommodation is, which makes La Mine the main “local” in the resort. La Mine is the perfect place for a relaxing beer and a chat before heading off to Plagne Centre to explore the myriad of bars that the main hub of the resort offers.

Bobsleigh Bar

The other option in Plagne 1800, it’s at the bottom of the Hotel Les Rhododendrons. Although it’s not particularly atmospheric and it doesn’t have a huge choice of drinks (though it does serve Magners), it’s an English run ‘pub’ with lots of TV screens showing British sport including the Six Nations and the Premiership.

I don't recall La Mine having an happy hour, bobsleigh was hit and miss, popular with chalet staff etc, more for evening drinks at times dead at others couldn't move i.e if football was on.
snow conditions
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Yes, the bar/pizza place right up at the top was still there in April this year. Seemed a bit "locals only" but perhaps I was just being paranoid.. everywhere else seemed really friendly though! La Mine was pretty quiet and nice for a mulled wine after the ski. With three young children we never ventured out for any apres though, beyond our evening meal.

A bangin' pissin-it-up until sunrise village it is not Very Happy Which suited us fine as a family of course!
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
sparklies, I got that vibe too but they were a nice bunch in there and nice pizza, had a Tartiflette pizza one night that was awesome-I was pretty inebriated at the time though.....
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Yes, the pizza was definitely nice! But the second time we went, we got takeaway all the same and ate it back in our apartment.. I actually felt quite awkward! Maybe if I'd had a few to drink they'd have been more welcoming Twisted Evil
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Thanks guys ... not quite sure if it inspires me now Sad
ski holidays
stevew wrote:
Thanks guys ... not quite sure if it inspires me now Sad

Well if you're idea of apres is a nice beer with a great view rather than banging tunez then la plagne is a great spot.

It's not 1800 but is the Arpette bar under the arpette lift above bellecote - fantastic apres stop in some sunshine. Then wait till all the crowds have died away and then ski down to bellecote, and grab the bus back to 1800 - works very well if your chalet is on the 'top road' in 1800
snow conditions
stevew, the above posts have just about summed up Plagne 1800: its a quiet place, and we like it that way

La Mine is convenient for the end of the day as its on the way back to a lot of the accommodation, and it does have a "Happy Hour". But for old-timers like me its rather noisy and difficult to follow conversation.
The Bobsleigh Bar should work, but somehow doesn't. As bertie bassett says: soul-less.
if i were to go anywhere it would be the Pizza place Mama Mia. Quiet and "native" with good pizzas.

If you want raucous nightlife then you need to take the bus up to Bellecote or Plagne Centre.
latest report
stevew, your OP doesn't say what your ski group comprises. TBH when I went to LP I was with 2 families with young kids and on that trip I (and another bloke) were effectively single males for the duration. I would say that 1800 was ideal for this type of group or even a group of older couples away as friends. If you are a solo traveller, on a lads trip or young party-going couples then no 1800 is unlikely to satisfy you. But if you just fancy a few beers after a day on the slopes and can make your own entertainment in the evenings then it should be fine.
ski holidays
Yes, 1800 suited us perfectly for a family holiday with young children! Able to get a few beers in here and there with a meal or back at the apartment, no rowdiness and rather peaceful!
latest report
halfhand, theres just two of us, me and a mate both early fifties, just after some where for a few drinks after skiing, far to old for lively nightlife Very Happy
ski holidays
stevew, I know the feeling rolling eyes . We're 4 early fifties in our "lads" group. Usually tucked up in our pits by 10pm Laughing
latest report
stevew, if you just want a relaxing drink at the end of the day while you regale tales of derring-do and near-disaster, then lots of us stop off at the La Bergerie.
A jolly welcoming bar/restaurant conveniently placed so you can easily ski on down to Plagne 1800 or Plagne Centre.
Website here
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy