Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Val Thorens - Les Balcons , is it ski in / out

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
Staying at Les Balcons - near the Red Fox. Can you ski in and out from there ?

Are there any free lifts for the first afternoon when we get there , 2pm ish , lift pass is valid until the next day, but have my own skis / boots so want to get warmed up.
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Yes. You ski in from the run underneath Plein Sud, and ski from the door down into town. Probably not ski in/out in early December or late April due to lack of snow, but the rest of the year should be fine. There is also a bus that runs past there and takes you into town, so you can hop on the free lifts - not sure if the run down into town will necessarily bring you out high enough to get on the free magic carpets in the centre of town, but if you are there at 2pm it is almost worth buying a half day pass and going out for the afternoon.
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Thanks. I've just read there is a beginner pass for Caron, Cairn and 2 Lacs that's 1/2 the normal price, so will probably do that for the extra 1/2 day. Does any of those 3 lifts get me back high enough for Balcons or is it the bus to get back ?
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
Think you will have to get the bus back - you could walk up from top of Cairn, but it is a fairly long way. The only way to get back to Balcons is to get higher than it on the same side, somehow getting onto Plein Sud piste. Easier to ski into town and get the bus I think.
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Thanks again. Any good tips for decent bars, nightlife in VT ( we are 50 year old saddo blokes ) ?
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
When we stayed there if the door had been 3 feet further to the right I could have skied into the room, but that is floor dependant.

Oh and don't be so cheap, buy a half day pass instead of messing around on the beginners lifts. 14:00 is more than enough time to get to the top of the Cime de Caron and get a couple of proper runs in.
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Adie - you've talked me into it Very Happy
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
eblunt wrote:
Thanks. I've just read there is a beginner pass for Caron, Cairn and 2 Lacs that's 1/2 the normal price, so will probably do that for the extra 1/2 day. Does any of those 3 lifts get me back high enough for Balcons or is it the bus to get back ?

those lifts will not get you back.
also non of the beginner lifts are much cop, also quite slow and short, buy a half day pass, this will get you onto the plein sud so you can ski back to blacons ( not what I would call and easy run especially if icy) might be better to ski down from centre of VT, head for the deux lacs lift and do a few runs there then get back to centre Vt and bus it back up to balcons...
balcons is quite high up from VT, there are a few bars there, its a slog to and fro the centre of VT

try the frog and rosbif, its fairly near the top of VT, its loud and full VT is not reknowned for quiet, reflective stylish bars....being a student mecca...

great skiing tho'
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy