Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

What makes you want to participate in snow sports?

Poster: A snowHead
UNIVERSITY RESEARCH SURVEY:

Have you ever considered the reasons you participate in high risk sports? What personality traits do people possess that make them want to risk their life?

You can assist our research into personality types in high risk sports simply by taking our survey; participants are given the option to enter their email address into a draw for a £50 cash prize as an incentive for taking the survey. Should take no more than 10-15 minutes out of your time.

Thanks for your time

Please follow the link if you are interested:

https://www.survey.bris.ac.uk/bangor/highrisksports/
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Quote:
Have you ever considered the reasons you participate in surveys? What personality traits do people possess that make them want to waste their time?

FIFY
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Is recreational skiing a 'high risk sport'? Personally, I'd say no...
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
has the OP got a lottery licence?
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
I don't participate in high risk sports, so clearly am not eligible to do the survey or win the dosh.
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
I don't think what I'm doing is high risk. If someone without the experience and ability did some of the things I do, I suspect it would be high risk for them, equally if I tried hucking off some of the cliffs seen in various films, then it'd be a pretty high risk for me.
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
I think skiing is less high risk than cycling in London
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Peterkct, for sure. It's also less high risk than drinking too much booze - which, I read last week, kills 1000 people a year in Scotland (which is a lower figure than a few years ago Shocked )
latest report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
I read somewhere last year that per outing tennis is much riskier

Is driving not much higher risk?
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
Skiing can't be that bad, can get insurance for that, unlike the occasions when I go for polo lessons!
snow conditions
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Q5..how many times per month do you participate in the high risk sport. Many wont be able to answer as the sport is seasonal and most people probably only ski one or two weeks a year....which might mean 6 or 12 tines a month for one month only.

I couldn't be bothered wirh section 3...there were too many questions and options to easily read on my phone

Last edited by snowHeads are a friendly bunch. on Fri 13-12-13 0:23; edited 1 time in total
snow conditions
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Q10 doesn't make sense either.
latest report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Peterkct wrote:
I think skiing is less high risk than cycling in London

I do both but have no desire to enter into high risk sports.
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Quote:
g. I am often puzzled by sensations in my body.

Only after excess tartiflette.
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Richard_Sideways, that's hardly a puzzle. wink This seems badly thought out even by the low standards of such surveys. Rests on a flawed assumption and then gets worse.
ski holidays
The process is fundamentally flawed anyway (the survey, not my tartiflette consumption) because, as we've seen from the posts so far, only those who don't participate in these sports consider them extreme. Once 'inside the scene' they stop being extreme as you understand the processes much more, and are better able to moderate any risks.
ski holidays
Richard_Sideways, well yes, that's partly what I meant. But also, and more fundamentally, seeing "snow sports" as an entity. There is no more similarity between my kind of skiing and those chaps who leap off mountains than there is between my kind of driving and Formula 1. Some snow sports people undoubtedly see themselves as participating in an extreme sport, because they are.
snow conditions
Richard_Sideways wrote:
The process is fundamentally flawed anyway (the survey, not my tartiflette consumption) because, as we've seen from the posts so far, only those who don't participate in these sports consider them extreme. Once 'inside the scene' they stop being extreme as you understand the processes much more, and are better able to moderate any risks.

That's very true. I also do track days fairly regularly and I don't consider that high risk or extreme.
ski holidays
Most of people die while sleeping so... Smile Yeah skiing, and all other fun things bring chance to get injured or to even die. But is it worth bothering? If it's meant to be it's meant to be. And I rather die skiing, then sit at home 24/7 and wait when time to die will come.
ski holidays
Richard_Sideways wrote:

Yup, I do yacht racing, last time out we sort of broke the yacht and ended up in what the survey would class as a close call, pretty big seas going pretty fast about 20m off the South Stack rocks on Anglsea heading straight at them with the helm not responding. The mainsheet had jammed on a gybe (intentionally towards the rocks, was even nastier further out!) and pinned the main so the sails were overpowering the rudder. No big deal skipper cuts the main and yells to person down below to start the engine and off we motor, out of the race but in one piece. Sure had we not had experienced crew who spotted what happened and the skipper on hand with a knife to sort it or the engine hadn't started we'd have needed the life boat but we didn't so as far as I'm concerned its just part of the game.
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy