Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

If Carlsberg made snow chains..............

Poster: A snowHead
Be warned, this is not for the Lidl brigade on here, as they will be unable to get their heads around the cost of these chains Cool

I've probably been using chains on and off for thirty plus years, though could probably go for fifteen years without using any, and then the following season three of four times in a couple of weeks.

I'd heard about these and after looking at a few vids thought definitely the way to go.

Justification being - I'm out for the whole season (so hopefully we'll get some snow), I have to go up and down a very steep gradient to get to my apartment, I do have snow tires but a few times last year had to put chains on. I have a new van and don't want to stuff it because I couldn't be arsed to put chains on when I should have, which last year saw me putting the van into a snow drift to stop me sliding out into the road. And I will be going over the infamous Col du Lautaret a fair number of times as well as driving to some fairly obscure locations.

These chains are for a van and I went for the 10mm heavier chain, worked out at £275

This was the first time putting the chains on and taking them out of the bag. Thule reckon twelve and a half seconds after a few goes!

http://youtube.com/v/DV8wEyGLksw
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Just sayin, but in the UK at least Carlsberg is really, really bad beer.

I guess you mean these things are good, in or out of the UK.
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Weathercam, I was looking at those here but the best price was $525.00 so went for the Peerless auto tensioning set instead @$90/pair. the difference between $1100 & $180 is a lot of beer vouchers Shocked
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Neat video, we've had to go with K Summit thanks to stupid lack of clearance on the Tiguan. Took us five mins (plus another five locating the pin thing for removing the wheel nut covers) in the boot as it was hidden in a tool kit, behind a panel). Job done.
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Quote:
This is not for the Lidl brigade on here, as they will be unable to get their heads around the cost of these chains

1. I'm a proud member of the Lidl brigade. My £20 chains purchased 2 years ago for accessing Weardale ski area in the North Pennines have worked flawlessly on the three or four occasions that I've needed them - as compared to the previous junk set that I paid £75 for at Halfords and which fell apart.
2. Not only can I get my head around paying £275 for chains (each to their own eh?) - I can also get it around saving £250+ wink.
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Another view:

http://www.earnyourturns.com/15680/thule-makes-chains-required-easy/
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
mountainaddict, all I can say, and as many other Snowheads will say in the numerous threads on chains, is that cheap chains just don't cut it.

And no doubt you can get your chains on in under 30 seconds Smile

Season before last when I hired a car from Grenoble airport and chains (which were new) fell apart on the fourth time of using, luckily there was a Brit in the garage in Tignes who sorted me out for some beer vouchers.

That link altis, has above is quite ironic in that some mates were winding me up on not having 4x4 to which I did respond (a few weeks back) that with these chains I'll be ok, and a damn site cheaper than buying a 4x4 Cool
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
There's a world of difference isn't there. If you expect very occasional use over a short distance, then £20 is plenty for a set of chains to get you out of a hole.

If you're living in the Alps and using your car regularly, then £400 for a set of winter tyres and another £300 for some chains seems perfectly sensible.
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
however, if like me your car will not take normal chains, cheap or not, that £20 soon adds up to hundreds of £££ damage to the shocks, suspension etc.... Very Happy
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
however I do have a set of size 90 Lidl cheapies from my last car if anyone lives near me (Surrey)....
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
There must be something seriously egotistical about spending that sort of money just to get in and out of the lay-by ahead of everyone else being ordered to do so... Toofy Grin wink
snow conditions
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Took me 2 minutes per side to fit mine (after a few practice runs - first time I was still scratching my head after 15 minutes!), they were 45GBP. I am hoping that I won't have to use them really - 4x4 with snow rated tyres - I bought them as it's a legal requirement to have them in the car in the Alps, and they were 45 quid as opposed to 20 quid cheapies as they needed to fit big 4x4 sized tyres.

I was so proud of myself for managing to practice this, avoiding the nightmare first time fitment in the Alps, in the dark, in heavy snow (thanks for telling me to practice before having to do it for real, Marcellus - golden advice there). They fitted (I really didn't think they would at first!!). I think I ripped a few chunks out of my drive too...Confused

DSC_1198.jpg by baconrashers, on Flickr

Last edited by And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports. on Wed 11-12-13 19:49; edited 2 times in total
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
I have the best chain system ever.

A Landrover Defender (with good winter tyres). wink
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Love the Defender, I used to have a Discovery, but like everything it's all a compromise as to what you need want, as my van doubles up as a surf bus, changing room, crash pad, cycle storage / workshop etc and I suspect my drive down will be a little more comfortable, economical etc but that is a nice looking truck Toofy Grin
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Who says putiing on snow chains is a pain ? watch this and think again !

http://youtube.com/v/OeZYqwlgUUE#t=97
snow conditions
Weathercam wrote:
Love the Defender, I used to have a Discovery, but like everything it's all a compromise as to what you need want, as my van doubles up as a surf bus, changing room, crash pad, cycle storage / workshop etc and I suspect my drive down will be a little more comfortable, economical etc but that is a nice looking truck Toofy Grin

Hah - your trip will be a LOT more comfortable and a LOT more economical!

Above 75, the Defender is honestly a bit scary. And the modified engine/turbo combined with housebrick aerodynamics mean that fuel consumption is, well, pathetically bad above about 50mph.
ski holidays
philwig wrote:
Just sayin, but in the UK at least Carlsberg is really, really bad beer.

Yeah, if Carlsberg made snow chains I'd assume they were dreadful.
latest report

Defender + good quality chains = stress free trip.

This was Jan 2012 by the way at Thyons, Verbier. LOADS of snow.
ski holidays
Quote:

Defender + good quality chains = stress free trip

just like any sensible front wheel drive car, snow tyres and chains if (very occasionally) necessary. In 11 winters, in some very snowy conditions, I've yet to get stuck. Obviously there are some situations where only something like a Defender is going to cut the mustard. But those are not the sort of situations most holiday makers are likely to encounter, are they?
snow report
Dirty Gibson wrote:

Defender + good quality chains = stress free trip.

This was Jan 2012 by the way at Thyons, Verbier. LOADS of snow.

I only actually bought 2 chains - do I really need all four tyres clad for such conditions, given that I have snow rated tyres all round? Genuine question...
latest report
Harry Flashman, FrontWD is usually ok just on front unless manufacturer says otherwise. RearWD all four wheels is a good idea to get both steering and drive control.

4WD can have its own problems with fluid drives and centre diffs getting wound up and twisted knickers , , , see manufacturers directions.
ski holidays
Land Rover say front wheels only required, so guess all good then! Thanks Masque. A bit of research shows Defender's old school 4x4 system as opposed to Volvo/Subari style transfer box thing (my old V70R blew its transfer box simply due to having different types of tyre on front and rear)
snow report
AFAIK, and having been inside a few of them, the transfer box shouldn't suffer. The diffs should take the strain. Don't lock the centre diff and all should be OK.

Defenders are great, but I find that when it gets that cold you're a fool if you lock the doors!
ski holidays
Dirty Gibson, or leave the handbrake on Embarassed
latest report
As Masque says, see manufacturers directions (vehicle manufacturer that is) many 4wd transmissions do not have a centre diff thus making the 4wd vulnerable to expensive damage if the 4wd is engaged and the motor driven on a grippy surface due to transmission wind-up.
snow report
I recall when out hunting in Carinthia that the hunter was careful to put chains on all four wheels of his 4WD pickup - his reasoning was that we were on narrow forestry roads with some big drops and while front wheels only would be enough for traction, he was more concerned with losing the back end and sliding off the road. Whether that would apply on "normal" roads is another matter.
latest report
Harry Flashman, where did you get your chains from? I need to get a set and they look just the job. Thanks.
snow report
Cacciatore, mine were ebay jobs on offer - now seem to be around the 60-70 mark...

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/NEW-PROVEN-SUPERIOR-QUALITY-POLAR-EASYFIT-4X4-VAN-16MM-SNOW-CHAINS-01424830727-/200967109750?pt=UK_Car_Accessories_Touring_Travel&hash=item2eca92bc76

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/SNOW-CHAINS-HEAVY-DUTY-16MM-DEFENDER-4X4-NEW-IN-BAG-/200552084189?pt=UK_Car_Accessories_Touring_Travel&hash=item2eb1d5f2dd
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Thanks, Harry Flashman.
snow report
Anyone else wondering why Weathercam's posts are all written in a somewhat boastful and condescending 'I've got better chains than you lot' & 'With me it never lasts more than 30 seconds' manner?

Very odd.... Confused

My £20 Lidl chains are fine for what I need them for. End of - although they do take an outrageous 2 mins to fit each side....
ski holidays
mountainaddict, doesn't really warrant a response, but as I said above it's all a compromise, you're driving (I'm guessing) all of twenty minutes and possibly 250m vertical with them on and you're probably choosing time of day etc to put them on along with other factors that are within your control.

I could well be driving for two hours and climbing 2,000m at a time up some pretty damn gnarly roads, so would not really want to rely on a £20.00 chain that might explode on me leaving me in serious dodo!

Last edited by Poster: A snowHead on Thu 12-12-13 14:14; edited 1 time in total
snow report
We bought some chains in 2005 when we bought our first X-trail. We still have them and they've never been used. I guess in that time we've crossed the Col du Lauteret 50 or so times, including 10 times in a week when my hubby was in hospital. Not ewven sure what they cost now, but it was nowhere near 250 smackers.
ski holidays
Hells Bells, well you've been very lucky with the conditions or not (as chains usually means loads of snow).

Past March when it snowed pretty well non stop for four days we ended up having to put them on/off on three occasions - like I said to get up to us and down can be a little tricky!

Then New Year 2011/2012 we rented a car from Grenoble and had to put chains on at Gavet picture below of classic chain mayhem - and then on and off a few more times up to Tignes and back.

Prior to that over the years numerous occasions, we were once caught over in Serre for two days after coming over to La Grave and they shut the Col in a big storm. Think if you ski it different locations on a trip then you're obviously upping the chance of having to use them more!

Anyway I sincerely hope this trip out you have to use them, as I'm sure you'll agree with me

And this classic one Smile

Little Angel
latest report
Weathercam, we've had plenty of snow on many, many occasions, but have never needed to used the chains, even on the Lauteret they have never been necessary on our 4x4 with winter tyres. I crossed it 10 times in 6 days when hubby was in hospital, and in quite severe conditions on 4 of them.
snow conditions
but I don't have a steep hill up to our apartment.
ski holidays
Weathercam, I was just going to ask where the one with the g string was !! Toofy Grin
latest report
I think we've done 5 self drive trips now and we've needed to use chains on about 5-6 separate occasions over three of them. We have the Thule K Summit which are expensive too. But they are really easy and quick to fit. None of the times we've needed to use chains have been in advance in a layby, it's been more unexpectedly on uncleared steep roads around resort, usually trying to access the chalet, so it's been really important to be able to chain up very quickly to avoid causing an obstruction. We do have winter tyres too. Fortunately we've never had to mess with chains in a hire car.
ski holidays
Carlsberg is quite ok larger Evil or Very Mad Little Angel
snow conditions
Cooking lager IMO.
ski holidays
ok.....pretty far from good though.....
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy