Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Ski pants: Softshell or other fabric?

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
My 14 year old Goretex Mountain Hardware pants need replacing soon. I haven't really kept up with fabric developments, there are so many now. What's a good material these days for sitting on cold/wet chairlifts and some skiing in between? I think I'd like the idea of softshell fabric but don't know if it's recommended for pants. I have 2 pairs of different weight long johns to go under the pants. I have a slim/tall fit. Also, shouldn't be too expensive (1-2 weeks skiing/year). Thanks.
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
snowman, my fear would be that cold wet chairlifts would lead to a cold wet bum in a softshell. I am looking fondly at the Marmot Spire pant, but both I and the OH require full length zips.

Go see what hard shells Decathlon have. It looks like they've upped their game again this year.
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
I keep the thinner shoftshell pants for touring or spring skiing. Great for that. I just use standard snowboarding pants as they have a bit more room to move in them than the closer fitting styles. I don't bother with expensive fabrics for the lower half as I still have some old shell salopettes in case of really atrocious wet weather.
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
snowman, top of th erange http://www.decathlon.co.uk/maxcarve-athletic-ski-trousers-id_8156142.html
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
My fist pair of ski pants were softshell, bought from TK Maxx when I didn't know what I was buying. They were ok for the first couple of trips, but starting to show a fair amount of wear after week 3 so I replaced them with an insulated shell pair. The softshells have now been relegated to sledging wear only, and get cold and damp pretty quickly. By contrast, my newer TNF ones have done 4-5 weeks and are still showing little signs of wear.

I love my softshell jacket, but am not convinced the fabric is hard wearing enough to keep you warm and dry when used as trousers.
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
under a new name, good to know about Decathlon, it might be worth a small detour if their stuff has got better.
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
I have some of these, really rate them for warm weather skiing. The kevlar reinforced crampon patches also give great protection against ski edges. I wore them for last years EOSB. The orange is pretty bright though.

http://www.trekkinn.com/outdoor-mountain/trangoworld-plus-uu-shoeller-windstopper-trx-pants-orange-man/70460/p?utm_source=google_products&utm_medium=merchant&id_producte=326061&country=uk&gclid=CJGfzPzJprsCFWzItAodaDAA2Q
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Scarlet, just to be a pedant, you don't get insulated shells. That's why they're called shells. Mind you, quite a few softshells are a bit insulated... Puzzled
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
under a new name, hmmm, well what would you call them? They are not soft shell. They are not goretex (or similar expensive fabric). They are waterproof and have some light insulation. Mr S has some goretex shell trousers, and they are very light and thin so I know what you mean.

But the question was about soft shell pants, which from my personal experience are not as good.
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
Scarlet, a very good if somewhat trivial question. To my mind, shells have no insulation. The point, I believe, being that shells are more or less intended as the outer layer of a layered system.

But I have a "soft shell" jacket (so the marketing department tell me) which is "lightly insulated" which I would suggest is no longer a shell. But to call it a lightly_insulated_jacket_with_a_soft_shell_like_outer_skin seems a tad longwinded.

In your case I'd refer to yours as "ski pants". I imagine TNF marketed them as such.
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Quote:

Scarlet, just to be a pedant, you don't get insulated shells

Umm, yes you do, they are called insulated shells? A shell is the outer layer, regardless fo the egree of insulation involved. The Buffalo is the original* softshell and they're pretty insulated.

*Well, the original "modern" softshell. I'm sure Ventile or the like was the original osftshell......
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
galpinos, I don't think most people would consider a shell a shell if it was insulated. Kind of ruins the point, non?

I also don't think you read my post at 07h09 did you?

Anyhoo, sure enough, some Manufacturers e.g. Arc't are marketing "insulated hardshells" distinct from "hardshells". But I'm standing by my opinion that a "shell" shouldn't be insulated.
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy