Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Skiworld - Monarch flight - ski bag

Poster: A snowHead
Hi all,

I'm going round in circles with Customer Services at Skiworld, so I was wondering if anyone has any experience of how this actually works when you get to the airport?

The rules (http://www.skiworld.co.uk/customer-services/Important-information#EUFlights) state the folllowing:

"Ski and Snowboard bags must contain skis and snowboards only and boot bags contain ski or snowboarding boots only
(in case of delay or the necessity of offloading this equipment)."

This suggests that neither poles nor (more importantly) ski boots can be included in your ski bag - is this really correct?

I also understand that trying to merge this allowance with your normal baggage allowance (20Kg), so you have one main bag of say 15kgs, and a ski bag of 15kg is also not possible?

This seems unbelievably restrictive. I haven't flown to a ski holiday for about 10 years - is this really the way the budget operators work now?
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Quote:

is this really the way the budget operators work now?

seems to be the way most operators work now, budget or not. But I'm sure you can put poles in your ski bag.
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Sad

So that means 20Kgs has to cover my boots and helmet too. How upsetting!

Also: as a mini rant - it makes the 12Kg limit for your ski bag fairly superfluous as I doubt there's a pair of skis out there that weighs that much! Why have a limit if they don't intend for you to use much of it?
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
I think thats just overzealous T&Cs from skiworld, I think when you get to the airport the checkin staff wont give 2 hoots whats in your bags. Im flying with them and Im taking a snowboard and 2 pairs of skis in 1 bag and dont expect any problems
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
I've flown with them (and those T+Cs) and put some kit (and always poles) in with my ski's. Never had or seen them check.
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
magicrichard, this is all down to Monarch and then to the airport staff so you are better off contacting Monarch. At Grenoble airport no one actually checked what was inside the ski bags as long as it was within the weight limit.
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
magicrichard, I've flown with monarch loads. We always pay for two lots of ski carriage, but both pairs and poles go in one bag. We put boots in our luggage and helmets in our hand luggage. Generally our bags weigh around 18 kg, so under 20 kg limit. On return journey, if we have bought anything, we put some of our laundry in with the ski's. Never had a problem with monarch, think the people who do have problems with them take the urine by overloading bags, trying to get 2 or 3 pairs of skis in 1 bag and only paying carriage for 1. I shouldn't worry.
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
I should add, we always roll up our ski trousers tightly, and put them with our gloves and sunglasses in our hand luggage too, so if the worst happens and our luggage doesn't arrive with us, we can still rent skis and boots and ski while we wait for it. never happened to us, but happened to friends of ours
latest report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
thecramps, very wise re: your 2nd post - I always do the same. I actually always try to ensure that when flying to anywhere for any type of holiday I always have enough things in my hand luggage to get me through a day or two should the worst happen.

re: suggestion of contacting Monarch, this was a winner. After a bit of to-ing and fro-ing I now have an email confirming that they are happy for me to combine the limits. If anyone would like a copy of this, please pm me and I will forward to you.

Thanks all - panic (and rant) over Smile
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
magicrichard, Glad it's sorted for you. Have a good one Madeye-Smiley
snow conditions
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
I don't know if they have changed the rules this year but last year I put my boots in with my skis and there was no problem. It is what I do with all the other airlines too. I cannot think of a reason why this could cause them any problem.
snow conditions
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Flew Monarch on a Skiworld hol earlier this year, as per every other year that we have carried skis/board, other stuff went in the bags. Poles, hoodies, ski pants in with my skis - jackets, board boots, board pants, gilets in the hubbie's board bag.

Helmets, my ski boots and hubbie's bindings gop in the suitcases.

Never been stopped, or asked to open the bags, but they have always been within the weight allowances.

I think the main thing to worry about is if your skis/board get delayed - okay, they'll cough up for hire equipment, but if your jacket and pants are in there....risk you take though. Never had any problems.
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Glad it got sorted! Have a great holiday! Smile
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
I think the main reason the TO's and airlines get fussy is that in the case of lost equipment they are only insured for 1 pair of skis in each bag
latest report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
How do you put your boots in with ski's ? Or is it just separate bags?
I have in the past put boots in with the clothes suitcase but last year turned up on a neilson holiday with ski bag suit case a boot bag, she wanted to charge me an extra £100.00 as we had gone over. I then pointed out we had bought an extra 15kg for ski luggage, so she then asked to weigh them and found with the ski's we where just within the limit of total lugge with ski's so no extra cost to pay. Very Happy
ski holidays
bigtoe, it depends how big your ski bag is. I put a boot at each end.
ski holidays
bigtoe, I use a Dakine Fall-Line Double which does what snowball suggests and fits a boot at each end:
http://www.facewest.co.uk/Dakine-Fall-Line-Double.html
snow conditions
I have a double rolling ski bag and despite the T&C's i always pack my skis, pole, boots, pasta sauce in my boots, sallos and other random poo-poo in there. No one has ever checked or asked anything.
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy