Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

1 Day ski trip on your own

Poster: A snowHead
johnE, cheers for the heads up, seems a better route. I have never been so most will be trial and error but thats great advice to avoid the bellvarde
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
thestoney6, not sure when your bus goes, but if station cafe not open, the Polaire have just emailed me that Le Tonneau should be open: just opposite where you get on bus (2 Avenue du Stade, 73700 Bourg-Saint-Maurice, tel+33 4 79 07 51 60)
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
thestoney6, glad you have decided to go. It will be a fun mini-adventure! Some time alone to read/sleep/listen to music on the train, a lovely day skiing on your own and then train home. Have a great trip.

+1 for everyone else saying dpon;t travel in ski stuff! Wear jeans and trainers and change.
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
thestoney6, Mont Blanc is a good warm up lap, brings you back to 1600.

Then to get to the Aguille Rouge, take Cachettes up , Belvedere across to Arpette lift: Lac down to Marmottes, up there and a short hop (500m) to the Varet gondalas which takes you to the Cable car.

(You can get from Arpette to Varet without going down as far as , and then up, Marmottes, but you kinda need to know what you're doing x-piste, and I don't recommend Plan on a board).

The more I read this thread, the more I reckon I could squeeze in a cheeky weekend... STOP IT!!!
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Arctic Roll, cheers for thatbud, i was planning that as a route looking at the piste map, so at least i know that is a logical route.

how long does it take to do aguille rouge top to villaroger at a steady pace, anyone know?
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Arctic Roll wrote:
thestoney6,

The more I read this thread, the more I reckon I could squeeze in a cheeky weekend... STOP IT!!!

go for it, i was actually lookng at easy jet yesterday for a friend and you can get thursday-monday retrun flights to geneva in jan for under £100.
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Yeah but... am already doing a wekk in Jan and two at Easter - so like you, needs to be with minimum disruption to domestic bliss!
snow conditions
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Arctic Roll wrote:
Yeah but... am already doing a wekk in Jan and two at Easter - so like you, needs to be with minimum disruption to domestic bliss!

3 weeks, well done mate, whats your secret !!
latest report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Arctic Roll, thestoney6, There is a little drag rope over that flat section from the bottom of the arcelbulle over the lip to the varet and Lanchette lift. Going only as far as the Arpette lift is a good idea, it cuts out most of Belevarde

From the top of teh Aguille Rouge to villaroger is a good half hour, but it depends more on how often you stop and for how long you stop for than the speed you are going. If you haven't boarded for years I would allow an hour to get up Aguille Rouge (and look at teh view) and another 2 to get down
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
johnE, there is you're absolutely right. However, getting around Plan to get to the bottom of Arcabulle (the route around the new lake) is a PITA if no speed / no weight. And that's on skis - Lord knows what it would be like on a board. Avoid.

Ref Aguille to Villaroger, it's a tough call - as JohnE says, depending on stamina, time of day, weather, hot chocolate stops, suicidal tendencies and the desire for pretty pictures. I'd say 30 mins is a good time, but to enjoy it, (and catch your breath after some of the mogul fields) allow an hour +.

(PS 2 of the 3 weeks are en famille so I guess it isn't quite as extreme as it might be!)
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Or 15 minutes if you thrash it (I've never timed it but it would be about 17 or 18mph average).
snow conditions
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Quote:

Or 15 minutes if you thrash it (I've never timed it but it would be about 17 or 18mph average).

Explain please
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
7km run @ 28kph = 1/4 hour? But like the Saturday evening TV show, Pointless.

And probably beyond the reach of us mere mortals. I've done 1950 in 12 minutes from the top (ski school pick-up required) but 3 more minutes to Villaroger? - not in my wildest dreams. Chapeau to Mr snowball.
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Finally found my thread.

Well ive been and gone and WOW what a trip. Would recommend this to anyone if you cant afford/manger/not allowed to go away for any lenght of time.

Im still in the process of writing my full report but key tips to anyone considering it.

- Pay for the premier class on euro star, going out i went premier and got a solid 5 hours sleep, coming back i was standard and got approx 30 mins.
- If you want to eat somewhere better than a burger house reserve a table as soon as it opens on the day you get there, could not believe how busy places were saturday evenings
- If you want to avoid annoying french kids everywhere head up high

Happy to answer any questions people have if it helps as it might take me a while to write my report.

But just thought i would let you know that it was super super fun and would do again.
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
I was just wondering about your trip yesterday. Glad it went well. snowHead
snow conditions
thestoney6, Glad you liked it. Looking forward to the full trip report.
snow report
Just commenting on the skiing alone aspect - Two years ago I went to Austria for a week by myself, self-catering apartment, had a couple of lessons as the skis were about two-thirds of the length they were back in the 1970's when I last skied !!! (I'm pretty old), but except for a few hours when I joined up with a group of English people down from Munich (employees of Hewlett-Packard) I spent most of the time by myself. It was good being able to do progressively harder slopes at my own pace without having to keep up / slow down other people - or vice-versa. Obviously I didn't go off-piste and was always within sight of other skiers. I took care not to be one of the last on the mountain around the time the lifts were shutting down for the night as I didn't fancy being found as a frozen corpse in the morning. It made me learn enough German to get by so all in all I think of it as a useful, pleasurable and purposeful experience. So much so, in fact, that this time I'm going for 2 weeks and taking the car so that I can get to a few more resorts. Last year I went with a group and although there were good things about that I came back on crutches as a result of an accident in a lesson when someone fell on me - last day luckily. I'm not saying that groups = increased risk or anything like that but skiing alone does allow you to pace yourself, practice the things you're bad at and ultimately push yourself to achievements that are realistic for you.
snow report
pam w wrote:
There are some unnecessary comments here about the OP's wife. You know nothing about his family situation. I wonder how many blokes would be happy if their wives took off for a weekend trip without "permission", leaving them with three small kids to look after on their own (especially if they'd already been doing that all week)?

It's good for a parent to have a weekend off occasionally, without kids or spouse - but with 3 small kids that's no easy matter. thestoney6, what would your wife like to do for her weekend off?

I wouldn't think it was worth the hassle either, frankly - maybe some time at the snowdome - a freestyle lesson, for example?

I think most men are fine with their partners going away or having nights out.Why wouldn't we be?I really don't understand why men let women treat them like this.
ski holidays
My good lady has granted permission for me to ski a week away without her or our daughter......i love her for it
snow conditions
I've been given permission for four days away.

Can't find trip report from OP. Any link??
ski holidays
Quote:

I really don't understand why men let women treat them like this

I don't understand why partners wouldn't be prepared to take on child care etc on an equitable basis, for them both to be able to go and participate in stuff the other doesn't like - be it skiing or relaxing on a beach. What I was objecting to, earlier in the thread, were rude comments about the OP's partner, and their relationship, from people who had no idea what their arrangements were. I would hope and expect that any man who expected to be "granted permission" to go away on a ski trip, especially if this left their partner looking after kids at home, would be only too happy to return the compliment, so that the OH could go away and spend a similar amount of money on an activity they enjoyed.

thestoney6, delighted you enjoyed it. snowHead
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy