Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

1 Day ski trip on your own

Poster: A snowHead
clarky999, thanks. I see what you mean about the "peer pressure" element of skiing in a group.

I think the thing with the OHs incident was she hit a flat, no real obvious direction to go, no people and eerily quiet. She obviously got back fine taking a lot of time, but it didn't fill her with confidence.
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Nothing heightens the senses more than skiing (or any other outdoor activity) alone in unfamilliar territory. You're always on the lookout for what's going on around you and most definitely safer than when in a herd. It's a great experience.
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
I ski on my own loads as well, I really enjoy it and it's usually only towards the end of the season that I start to get a bit fed up with it. I've gone to a few different places on my own, I quite like the feeling of exploring a new place by myself and enjoy traveling by train as well, nice cup of coffee, some breakfast and my kindle. I also don't really see how it's any less safe than doing other things by yourself, I go for walks by myself as well and could just as easily fall and hurt myself doing that. I ski easy off piste at the side of the piste, or obvious routes which a lot of other people are skiing and where I can see the whole run and can be seen by other people. I have thought about going ski touring on my own, have seen quite a few other people out on their own and I would just choose an easy up and down route but I haven't done that yet.

I would say go for the day trip, no question about it, I'm sure you'll have a great time!
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Sounds cool. I do seem to recall that there used to be skiing day trips, early flight out to some airport near a resort and late flight back. Maybe it was a journalistic thing when the cheap flights came in.

All you need is a day's worth of kit, I'm pretty sure there are luggage lockers at the station.

I went to Les Arcs by overnight train and the arrival meant that we had time to be bussed up to Arc 2000, get passes and have a day's skiing. You'd be on the same schedule, but with a return train.

Do it, take a camera, write up a trip report about how great it all was.
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
WOW. Thanks everyone for your responses. Sorry i couldn't get on sooner to reply. I really dont think its much hassle, i get on the train at york, change at london then wake up at bourg, people say its a quick walk to the funiclur that gets me to 1600. I was really only concerned about going on my own as never done this, but as a lot of you say, i think i will enjoy the peace and quiet and be able to explore at my pace.

So after reading all this i think its helped me decide that im going to go for it. I plan on traveling in my gear, and then maybe have some jeans in my bag for the return trip.
I have all my own gear so will travel in my boots and carry my board on my back, so no need to hire.
My concern was finding where to buy my ski pass from, can this be done in advance over the internet? how does that work?

Also the train gets in that like 630 in the morning so are there cafes and places open that time of the day in bourg? does anyone know what time the Funiclur starts running from?
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
thestoney6, From what I remember in Moutiers (one stop earlier to access 3V) there were some coffee shops open for the arrival of this train + toilets and ok waiting room with power sockets etc.

I don't think I would travel in snowboarding trousers, the tops and jacket ok but travel in jeans and normal shoes and then change to snowboarding trousers just before getting off the train (that's what we did).
You can still have some backpack etc as you need to use lockers anyway.

You will have some time to kill in the morning and evening but that's not bad. It is all set up so you can get easily on the first funicular up the mountain. And nice meal or drink in the evening. Again you can probably leave your staff in lockers.

You can probably buy skipass online in advance but I guess it should be that complicated to get it form the cash desk (unless others say there could be queues etc).

Now, can you get discounted train tickets to someone else ? Very Happy
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Quote:

I plan on traveling in my gear

I wouldn't. The train can get hot. Have a great trip - you will tell us all about it, won't you? snowHead
The advice above about music is good; keeps you company.
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Tom W wrote:
thestoney6, From what I remember in Moutiers (one stop earlier to access 3V) there were some coffee shops open for the arrival of this train + toilets and ok waiting room with power sockets etc.

I don't think I would travel in snowboarding trousers, the tops and jacket ok but travel in jeans and normal shoes and then change to snowboarding trousers just before getting off the train (that's what we did).
You can still have some backpack etc as you need to use lockers anyway.

You will have some time to kill in the morning and evening but that's not bad. It is all set up so you can get easily on the first funicular up the mountain. And nice meal or drink in the evening. Again you can probably leave your staff in lockers.

You can probably buy skipass online in advance but I guess it should be that complicated to get it form the cash desk (unless others say there could be queues etc).

Now, can you get discounted train tickets to someone else ? Very Happy

Thanks for this. i really cant decide about what to travel, i dont want to be carrying much stuff with me, and boots are big so thought i would just travel in them as they are as comfy as trainers, but i see your point i bet it does get hot on the train, and sat in them for 10 hours,hmmmmm might have to reconsider that approach.

i would imagine there should be somewhere to get pass from close to the funilcur, its just when i look online it only gives one place on the map that seems quite a distance from the station.

Sorry can only get cheap tickets for me and family (ie wife and kids)
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
thestoney6,

Definitely I would travel in normal trainers (and even jeans), you still have to carry small hand luggage or backpack so it doesn't matter that much it's all gonna end up in locker.
No matter how comfy snowboarding boots are I would not walk in them through St Pancras Station.
In fact you might need a few hours to change trains in London, lots of hours on the train (there is a bar carriage), a few in the morning a good few in the evening (possibly for a meal or beer). Trainers all the way Wink

Have a nice trip!
latest report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
thestoney6, you can leave a bag at the ski hire shop in 1600 - I would suggest you leave the board behind and take a pillow instead. There is a lift pass office at the bottom of the funicular, but you will have a couple of hours to kill before it opens - about 8:30 from memory. There is a care over the road from the station that is open early, but not 6:30. Check out my trip reports referred to on the previous page....
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Do it! Do it!
Why not see if a snowhead of similar standard who is in Val d'Isere or Les Arcs that day might ski with you. (Val d'Isere/Tignes you catch a bus from in front of the train station). Les Arcs funicular opens at 7.30am

But Scotland would give you 2 days skiing - going up Friday evening and back Sunday evening - especially if you can drive up.
However the snow isn't as reliable so generally people prefer to go up when there has been a dump or one is predicted, and obviously the ski areas are much smaller. That said, there would be something to ski unless the lifts are closed by a storm and if you can team up with a Scottish snowhead you might get to sample some off-piste:

I often go up with my non-skiing wife in the spring (second half of March) and stay in a B&B and ski a couple of days, and do walks and visit things with her for a few days. Seems to work (but that's without kids). And she loves the Highlands already.

Last edited by snowHeads are a friendly bunch. on Tue 10-12-13 13:42; edited 4 times in total
snow conditions
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
To be honest, one day skiing/boarding is better than one day doing anything else, so go for it!

I'd be so gutted to have to come home after one day though, shame you couldn't stretch it to two after travelling all that way.

Hope you have an awesome time.
latest report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
I hope these train tickets are already booked - might be full by now otherwise for some dates.
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
If you're there that early I wouldn't worry about buying your lift pass in advance, just keep an eye on it and get to the ticket office before it opens.

I suppose though there might be some of the train passengers buying tickets too though, as well as day trippers, so I don't know how busy it will be?
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Did this trip a few years back. Well worth it http://www.hittingkickers.com/les-arcs-weekend-break/

Was with a friend on that trip but regularly do solo mountain biking days and love the feeling of freedom that comes with it.
snow report
Hi, a couple of seasons back, I had 3 days' skiing with one friend in Switzerland and 3 days with another in Austria. Between the two, I had a day on my own and I absolutely loved it! The freedom to ski whichever runs I wanted to, at exactly the pace I wanted, and stop at any cafe, any time etc was immense! When you're with a group there are endless discussions and compromises about these things, and it was so liberating to just do as I pleased. Good to have no pressure to ski at top speed all the time, too.
HST, I prob wouldn't want a whole week on my own but a day was absolute bliss. Go for it!
Neil Neige
snow report
OK so i have 100% committed to doing this trip on my own now.

So im planning out where im going to ride for the day, and im thinking of taking the Aguille Rouge run, all 18km of it down to Villaroger and have some lunch there as i see on the piste map two places to eat. Anyone got any reccomendations/advise on villaroger for lunch?
snow report
Quote:

Why not see if a snowhead of similar standard who is in Val d'Isere or Les Arcs that day might ski with you. (Val d'Isere/Tignes you catch a bus from in front of the train station).

very good idea. Why not start a new thread when you have a date? Meeting up with someone who knows the area would make for a great day. snowHead
ski holidays
Don't forget the ski tracks app for your phone so you can Map your day.
latest report
NE1 wrote:
Don't forget the ski tracks app for your phone so you can Map your day.

I have alpine replay, but never used it before, what do you use?
snow report
Ski tracks, it's brilliant. Doesn't use data and good fun to look back on at end of day. I had a big coming together with tignes glacier in march and it was funny to see how long the slide was😀
snow report
thestoney6, this sounds like a great trip and after reading this thread and the report from holidayloverxx from a few years ago I think I'll do the same on last weekend in February if I can get train tickets. I've spent a couple of weeks in Les Arcs, travelling by train, so can be sure it's really easy to transfer between station and 1600 via the funicular. Thanks for the inspiration!
snow report
headtothehill wrote:
thestoney6, this sounds like a great trip and after reading this thread and the report from holidayloverxx from a few years ago I think I'll do the same on last weekend in February if I can get train tickets. I've spent a couple of weeks in Les Arcs, travelling by train, so can be sure it's really easy to transfer between station and 1600 via the funicular. Thanks for the inspiration!

Good on ya, im doing the last weekend in Jan, well tehnically i will be on the slopes on 1st feb, and i will write a report when i get back as i see all the reviews from people doing this was 4-5 years ago.
snow conditions
I go on sneaky day trips when work takes me near mountains pretty regularly. It's got to be done!
latest report
headtothehill, thestoney6, excellent. Looking forward to the trip report
snow report
thestoney6, i echo all those who advise against travelling in your ski gear.
A pillow of some sort would definitely be welcome.
On arriva, the station cafe may be open.
Or one of the cafes across the road from the station may be open.
Either way, I wouldn't leave it too late to get round to the ticket office
Queues can build up quite quick on a Saturday morning.
According the Polaire Star, there is a coffee booth there at weekends
You might find it useful to look round the area on Google Earth.
(I just phoned Polaire because on the google view their building seems to have a different sign - they are still there)
snow report
Jonpim, thanks for this mate, thats just what i was looking for, been on google earth and seen where that place is, your right the sign is wrong but you can quite easiliy distguingish the building its self from the pictures. They have lockers too, so i think on that basis i will travel in normal clothes and store them there.
Is the ticket office at the Funicular?
ski holidays
thestoney6, yes it is
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
holidayloverxx, thanks.
snow report
thestoney6, good for you!

Suggest you get your tickets at the funicular office (or at least, check out the queue!) prior to putting your stuff in Polaire ski since there will be a lot of people coming off the train looking for the Funi.

The other thing worth doing the the samedi je ski - which is a full day ticket for €28. You need to go to the website and print off a voucher - but it isn't released until the Wednesday before the Saturday you are skiing. And you will need the paperwork with you.

http://www.samedijeskie.com/
snow report
check the opening/closing time of Polaire Star
snow conditions
According to holidayloverxx in this thread from January 2008, the opening times are 8:30 - 18:30 on a Saturday. snowHead
snow report
from what i can tell i get in BSM at 0630 the Funicular runs fom 0730 and Polaire star doesnt open till 0830, but the Les 3 Arcs pub at 1600 opens at 0730, so i think i might stash my stuff there, then get the bus to 1800 and be there ready for the first lift to open.
latest report
thestoney6, my second trip I left my stuff at the ski hire shop as the Polaire Star opening time was inconvenient really
snow report
thestoney6, there are lifts in 1600! Not at all far from the 3 Arcs either...
snow report
Arctic Roll wrote:
thestoney6, there are lifts in 1600! Not at all far from the 3 Arcs either...

Yeah i have seen that on the map but was thinking to kill time just get on the bus, as i want to get up to aguille rouge run and ride it all the way down to villaroger for lunch. And was thinking bus to 1800 lift up and over, the ride down to 2000 and cable up to the top. But i might just wait in 1600 get first lift up and take the bellvadere blue down to 1800 as a nice warm up.
snow conditions
Is there no left luggage at BSM train station?
latest report
NE1 wrote:
Is there no left luggage at BSM train station?

I dont know, i have done some searching on the net but cant find anything that says it does.
snow conditions
There wasn't when I was there
latest report
thestoney6, I may be wrong, very wrong, but I thought that there was a left luggage towards the exit towards the bus station.

The Trois Arcs pub is a very friendly place. Get off the funicular head off towards the centre of Arc 1600 and turn right immediately past the Trois Arcs Building, there are hire shops here as well. It is a bit of a hike to the lifts from here - at least 200m. The Bellvarde is not a particularly pleasant run, basically a road all the way to Vallandry and not what I would choose as the first run of a trip on a board. Try the Mont Blanc first. It is much more enjoyable. Or pick up the Clocheret chairlift and cruise down the gentle blue from the top. This is wide, gentle, empty and usually has good snow
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy