Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Biathlon in Hochfilzen

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
This afternoon I took the chance to go to the biathlon competition in Hochfilzen to watch the Men's Pursuit race. There was a good crowd - and LOUD - but there was time before the race to get into the mood: here Russian refreshments (though I doubt it was vodka)...

It is probably easier to follow the racing on television but without the atmosphere. One thing that impressed me, as well as the accuracy of the shooting, was how fast the athletes ski, somewhat different from me on langlauf skis. Here's an overview of the stadium during the race...

I hadn't really understood how the Pursuit race worked but now I have learned that the athletes are started in the finishing order of Friday's Sprint race, comparable to Formula I qualifying but with starting time separation based on Friday's time differences. That seemed a bit unfair, the best from Friday having the biggest advantage, but the winner today wasn't Friday's winner. This time Martin Fourcade, a Frenchman, won the Pursuit followed by two Norwegians, Emil Hegle Svendsen and Tarjei Boe (another Norwegian, Lars Berger, had won the Sprint but after missing 5 shots was only 14th today). Here's the podium...

It had been cloudy when I arrived at Hochfilzen (which is right at the east end of Tyrol, on the border to Salzburger Land). However, the afternoon brought blue skies - the sun shines on the righteous Laughing - showing Hochfilzen at its best, here with the Leoganger Steinberge showing in the background as the crowd leaves after a very enjoyable afternoon...

ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Looks like a fab day out! I do target shooting sometimes and these folks are good shots, how on earth they control their breathing to be that good after all the effort of the skiing I don't know!
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
I watch most biathlon every season on the TV. It's a fascinating sport with some astonishing athletes. I'm a big Ole Einar and Tora Berger fan although he's in the sunset of his career. I don't know where her brother got that turn of speed from to win the other day but I guess the conditions certainly helped.

I do envy you as a weekend at the world cup (probably Hochfiltzen or Antholtz) is on my bucket list; maybe next season...
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
Looks brilliant, and ditto, a Biathlon event is on my list to do.
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
You can do a free biathlon "initiation", try skis etc in Les Saisies (and no doubt lots of other places) http://www.lessaisies.com/fiche-presentation_agenda-996-FR-Y-73AAOTS100029_struct-sitraEVE630202-HIVER-AGENDA.html
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
In the last few years they have held a Volksbiathlon in Hochfilzen. Details of next year's event, on 15th March (training the day before), are given here (you can Google-translate them into English). The competition doesn't take place in the biathlon stadium but on the nearby langlauf tracks and, as far as I can see, involves 4km skiing and shooting with an air rifle. Anyone interested? The Google translation is a bit wonky - if anyone has questions, just ask.
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
OOH very tempting pam w, though not sure my French is up to coping with the range safety briefing which must happen!

espri, would be if I had the first clue about nordic skiing!
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
davkt, a week's langlauf course would get you sorted out Very Happy
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
espri, Very tempting!
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
I'd love to have a go but my skating is rubbish Sad
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy